Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2009   #1
BrandonLwowski
Veteran

Rep Power: 54 BrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve Slaton

After his performance yesterday i think people should start believing in him again. In my opinion since slaton was running hard that game they shouldve gave it to him instead of chris brown on that last play. He was running hard, and making his one-cut and go running style. He had many +10 gains and was not losing yards like he did the last two games. In my opinion, if slaton is running good, he averged more than 6 yards a carry this game, keep going with him, dont throw in chris brown on the goalline. Hopefully he makes another big improvement next week against oakland.

Last edited by BrandonLwowski; 09-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.
BrandonLwowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #2
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Steve Slaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLwowski View Post
After his performance yesterday i think people should start believing in him again. In my opinion since slaton was running hard that game they shouldve gave it to him instead of chris brown on that last play. He was running hard, and making his one-cut and go running style. He had many +10 gains and was not losing yards like he did the last two games. In my opinion, if slaton is running good, he averged more than 6 yards a carry this game, keep going with him, dont throw in chris brown on the goalline. Hopefully he makes another big improvement next week against oakland.
We couldn't run when it matters.. which impacts our ability to score in the red zone.. we couldn't run against the jaguars either, and they aren't the stud defensive line of the year. Slaton is part of the team that is responsible for running the ball and that part of our game offensively is MISERABLE.

- fumbles
- lack of productivity to open the holes
- lack of vision to see the holes if they open
- screen passes have SUCKED all year except for a couple.
- lack of ability to hit the corner
- lackluster play calling, aka we keep hitting our head against the same spot on the wall.

Until we can start dominating the offensive line we'll continue to have this issue.. which means all year long cause we can't put our pads down and blow people off the balls.. We lack balls/strength/agility/technique..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #3
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post
We couldn't run when it matters.. which impacts our ability to score in the red zone.. we couldn't run against the jaguars either, and they aren't the stud defensive line of the year. Slaton is part of the team that is responsible for running the ball and that part of our game offensively is MISERABLE.

- fumbles
- lack of productivity to open the holes
- lack of vision to see the holes if they open
- screen passes have SUCKED all year except for a couple.
- lack of ability to hit the corner
- lackluster play calling, aka we keep hitting our head against the same spot on the wall.

Until we can start dominating the offensive line we'll continue to have this issue.. which means all year long cause we can't put our pads down and blow people off the balls.. We lack balls/strength/agility/technique..
I don't agree with everything in your post. I think playcalling was very good yesterday. You have to stick to your core system and keep working at it. They've changed some of the sets and alignments, but no team in the NFL is going to completely change their offensive mindset during the season.

The Texans problem is that the backs are not getting up into the holes fast enough, or are not recognizing flow and cutting the ball back. The cutback run is one of the staples of the zone. Slaton and Brown have refused to cutback all season long, preferring to remain on the strong side where teams are heavily pursuing them. Slaton still looks very undecisive to me. It's like he's not trusting in his ability anymore. He also has lost some open field burst. I don't know what happened to him over the offseason, but he's not the Steve Slaton of last season.
Texan JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #4
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
I don't agree with everything in your post. I think playcalling was very good yesterday. You have to stick to your core system and keep working at it. They've changed some of the sets and alignments, but no team in the NFL is going to completely change their offensive mindset during the season.
- You don't throw the ball one time to Andre and our playcalling is good?
- You can't find a way to get him lined up to isolate/confuse the coverage?
- You throw to the fullback 3 times for a total of 7 yards on long down and distance?
- You throw a screen play on 3rd and 17 when we are behind late in the game?

Don't get me wrong the defense stunk, but so did our offense the second half..

Denver could put a no name running back in their zone based scheme and he would rush for 100 yard games almost back to back. The system isn't difficult but for some reason for us it is. How many RB's have we gone through in the last few years? A lot..
Old 09-28-2009   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post

The Texans problem is that the backs are not getting up into the holes fast enough, or are not recognizing flow and cutting the ball back. The cutback run is one of the staples of the zone. Slaton and Brown have refused to cutback all season long, preferring to remain on the strong side where teams are heavily pursuing them. Slaton still looks very undecisive to me. It's like he's not trusting in his ability anymore. He also has lost some open field burst. I don't know what happened to him over the offseason, but he's not the Steve Slaton of last season.

The 2005 Texans did this when they panicked right before after the season started. It led to predictable results (everybody got fired). You're right. It's not going to change and our offensive mindset shouldn't change.

Defense on the other hand....
Old 09-28-2009   #6
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
- You don't throw the ball one time to Andre and our playcalling is good?
- You can't find a way to get him lined up to isolate/confuse the coverage?
- You throw to the fullback 3 times for a total of 7 yards on long down and distance?
- You throw a screen play on 3rd and 17 when we are behind late in the game?

Don't get me wrong the defense stunk, but so did our offense the second half..

Denver could put a no name running back in their zone based scheme and he would rush for 100 yard games almost back to back. The system isn't difficult but for some reason for us it is. How many RB's have we gone through in the last few years? A lot..
And where is Casey in those situations? Why bother drafting him just to have him bring you coffee? Why draft a blocking tight end, keep him on the roster, and NEVER activate him?
Old 09-28-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like the blocking is more a problem than Stevie Wonder. Although that nickname is going to bring on a whole new meaning if he doesn't start seeing the holes. They were there yesterday and he had a few good runs. I wouldn't call the run game "back" but maybe..."awake".
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2009   #8
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

the offense was great yesterday... no one should even bring up that side of the ball in the lose.. it was the defense and it will be the defense all year round.. like i said yesterday there is obsolutly no excuse for the jags putting up 31 points on us... it was the DEFENSE... but cushing was awesome... exept on the gerard TD lol
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #9
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Seems like the blocking is more a problem than Stevie Wonder. Although that nickname is going to bring on a whole new meaning if he doesn't start seeing the holes. They were there yesterday and he had a few good runs. I wouldn't call the run game "back" but maybe..."awake".
Don't get me wrong but two turnovers that basically take at least 7 points off the ball, and we can't stuff it in from the 1 which results in a field goal. The offense played good but they still made some mistakes. 2 turnovers != a great game.

Look at our second half production, it's really where we broke down on offense.
Old 09-28-2009   #10
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108546 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The run game was satisfactory. Chris Brown's run to the endzone minus the fumble was proof that we could make it work when we needed it.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #11
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't know why we put in Chris Brown in the endzone. Late Slaton run it. The guy was doing good.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #12
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I still don't know why we put in Chris Brown in the endzone. Late Slaton run it. The guy was doing good.
He has put the ball on the ground what 3 times in the first two games? That and his inability to get the tough yards.
Old 09-28-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't get me wrong but two turnovers that basically take at least 7 points off the ball, and we can't stuff it in from the 1 which results in a field goal. The offense played good but they still made some mistakes. 2 turnovers != a great game.

Look at our second half production, it's really where we broke down on offense.
What?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #14
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 399 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Want a elusive RB like MJ-D or similiar....check Oregon State's Jacquizz Rodgers...and he's a hometown boy.
Old 09-28-2009   #15
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
What?
- Count the # of turnovers we had.
- Count the # of points we left on the field.
- Look at our second half production.

There is chances we missed on offense, we can do better on offense still. Defensively it's quite obvious we need help in a TON of areas.
Old 09-28-2009   #16
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I like the strategy myself. Brown fumbled it so now everyone is second guessing, but I think going forward we should stick with it.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
Want a elusive RB like MJ-D or similiar....check Oregon State's Jacquizz Rodgers...and he's a hometown boy.
Hell no. Get a power back, someone who can at least fall forward for a yard or two should the line get crushed. Rodgers just screams bust. And who gives if he is a hometown boy. Just draft players dammit.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read