Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2009   #241
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
There is nothing to gain by firing Kubiak at the moment. Sure 1-2 isn't how we would have wanted to be after 3, and it hasn't been anything like pretty. But getting rid of a HC after 3 weeks, in our situation just does not make sense.

He stays. Its an end of the season decision.
I dissagree. Once we are eliminated from the playoffs there is no reason to continue this sham.
Old 09-27-2009   #242
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Okay, how bout this? Since there doesn't seem to be any leading candidates out there that makes one (well, me anyway) perk up and say - "wow, that'd be a definite improvement over what we currently have and can see a quick 180..."

Our offense seems to be running well - continues to be the defense issues... why not look for a better "proven" defensive coordinator as assistant head coach - or is that just not possible?
Old 09-27-2009   #243
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90074 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
. . .why not look for a better "proven" defensive coordinator as assistant head coach - or is that just not possible?
You mean right now . . . while the season is going on?
Old 09-27-2009   #244
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Sure, why not? Not saying to nix what we have (what do we have) early in the season... but what harm would there be in some "DC window shopping"? Perhaps someone wonder about their position, perhaps light a fire, some players start seeing the defensive coaches as lame ducks?
Old 09-28-2009   #245
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I said earlier in this thread that if I was Bob McNair after the Jets game I would be thinking to myself that Gary needs 10 wins to keep his job. That is still the number but I would like to throw out another name that I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread. Leslie Frazier, DC Minnesota.

He has been a pretty hot candidate the last couple of years and he just missed out on getting one of the jobs last year. I think it is almost a guarantee that he will be a head coach for someone next year. This is a guy that, while he can't bring his defensive line with him, knows what it takes to win in the trenches on defense. I would trust him to drop the dead weight on our line and start finding some real players to put around Mario. He doesn't need to shake up the offense a great deal either. As a side note, he is likely to be choice numero uno for at least a couple teams so the fact that his son is a WR at Rice might help make us more attractive.
Old 09-28-2009   #246
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure if his name has been mentioned in here and I know a lot of us are not keen on giving an unexperienced coach a shot but what do you guys think about the Houston coach - is it Sumlin? I am a Texas Tech fan but I saw him prepare his team to beat OSU and Tech - not bad. Is he the real deal or is it too early to tell?
Old 09-28-2009   #247
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
I'm not sure if his name has been mentioned in here and I know a lot of us are not keen on giving an unexperienced coach a shot but what do you guys think about the Houston coach - is it Sumlin? I am a Texas Tech fan but I saw him prepare his team to beat OSU and Tech - not bad. Is he the real deal or is it too early to tell?
IMO, what we witnessed Saturday night was two teams that do the same thing. And one team did it better on that specific night.

The spread offense is a joke, in terms of making your entire team a true contender. You'll beat up on teams that are annually bad and have no offense themselves, but you'll lose to teams that have legit offenses. Because a team that runs a spread offense seems to always have a leaky defense, due to getting 3 minutes of rest and being trotted back onto the field without enough rest between series.

Look how many times that the only way Tech wins is if they get the ball with 2-3 minutes remaining in the game. LOL.

I am a Tech fan, and the spread is a double-edged sword IMO. It cuts the other team's defense...but it cuts our own defense at the same time.

Sumlin and Leach are good at running the spread. Does that translate to them running an NFL team? Probably not. Just my opinion, though.
Old 09-28-2009   #248
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
I was waiting for this. No. Just no.He's a good college coach, but that doesn't mean he'll translate.
Old 09-28-2009   #249
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I figured that - but i just wanted to gauge the H-town feel for him see if there was something to him. I hope he can run the table for the Cougars - at least most of you guys could find happiness with them. I want a proven NFL guy - not a college coach, hometown boy, or a relative of someone in the organization.
Old 09-28-2009   #250
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

The only problem I have with firing Kubiak is.....looking over this staff I get sick of the idea of looking at an interim replacement in staff. Of the people here I think only Ray Rhodes inspires any sort of confidence. I don't think his health will allow him to do it though.

We all knew Kubiak's job was on the line when he promoted Bush, guess Gary didn't care.

IMO if we don't bring in a coach who doesn't have any sort of winning pedigree we might as well keep Kubiak.

Bring on Marty Ball!
Old 09-28-2009   #251
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Well...I'm not on this bandwagon yet but....

4th and 1 staring the goalline down late in the game and you kick a field goal for a tie instead of an attempt at a go-ahead TD? Was it a lack of faith in the offense (unwarranted) or a plethora of faith in the defense (also extremely unwarranted)? Did you not want the momentum of converting a 4th down and probably a TD after that? Did you not want to eat up some clock against a team that relies on the ground game?

That's playing to "not lose", not playing to "win". YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAMES!!!!!
Old 09-28-2009   #252
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

4th and 1 staring the goalline down late in the game and you kick a field goal for a tie instead of an attempt at a go-ahead TD? Was it a lack of faith in the offense (unwarranted) or a plethora of faith in the defense (also extremely unwarranted)? Did you not want the momentum of converting a 4th down and probably a TD after that? Did you not want to eat up some clock against a team that relies on the ground game?

That's playing to "not lose", not playing to "win". YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAMES!!!!!
you gotta take the points there.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 09-28-2009   #253
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Yeah, there are a lot of things that you can fault Kubiak for, but being too conservative on offense is not one of them. He goes for it on 4th a lot more than most other coaches, and he does it from more than just 4th and 1, as well.
Old 09-28-2009   #254
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well it wasn't like he was just out of field goal range, that would be the only time I go for it right there. If we would have went for it and not made it it would have been bad. Put those 3 on the board, and hope you can get the ball back to your offense, like we did.
Old 09-28-2009   #255
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not looking forward to going through another regime overhaul.

HOU-TEX: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOU-TEX: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOU-TEX: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

HOU-TEX: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines"
Old 09-28-2009   #256
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm not looking forward to going through another regime overhaul.

HOU-TEX: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking."

HOU-TEX: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking."

HOU-TEX: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

HOU-TEX: "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines"
The talent level's there, there'd be no excuse to not contend immediately under a different coach.

Hell, I think it's still possible for us to content with this coach, I just don't think it's prudent to wait around for him to figure it out.
Old 09-28-2009   #257
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Well he has a press conference at 3:30 today so we'll see what smoke he blows today... can already feel the smoke tingling my ass.
Old 09-28-2009   #258
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well he has a press conference at 3:30 today so we'll see what smoke he blows today... can already feel the smoke tingling my ass.
It's all my fault......I have to do a better job...blah blah blah. Please Lord, even if we all agree with Kubiak, please let him light a fire under someone's ass
Old 09-28-2009   #259
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I respectfully disagree. Well sort of. They should've taken points there but they should've taken a 7 instead of a 3. If you're playing to win the game you go after the 7. What about the D inspired Kubiak to think it could handle holding a tie? He had his better unit sitting in prime position to put the pressure on the opponents and he left the game in the D's hands. Bad decision to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C View Post
Well it wasn't like he was just out of field goal range, that would be the only time I go for it right there. If we would have went for it and not made it it would have been bad. Put those 3 on the board, and hope you can get the ball back to your offense, like we did.
If I'm not mistaken, the Jags got the ball back and scored 7? Made it 31-24?

Field Goal was the safe choice. Hindsight is always 20/20 but that turned out to be the wrong choice IMO.
Old 09-28-2009   #260
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
I saw it listed on the front page earlier today on the official website but it has been removed or least I can't find it anywhere.

found it

Last edited by bckey; 09-28-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read