Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2009   #41
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Offense and Schaub, Poor Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Last weeks game was not Scaubs fault. He didn't look good, but he really had no chance to. The coaching staff did a horrible job of gameplanning, making in-game adjustments and calling the game. As fans, we went from playoff bound if Schaub stays healthy to we can't win if Schaub is our QB, based on one game? That's ridiculous. He is a good QB. Maybe he isn't a HOFer, but he's certainly better than anyone else on the team. Put your panick buttons away and let's see what happens tomorrow.
The problem is that this has been a repeated problem from day 1. The players have had to play at least somewhat decently in order to overcome this perennial coaching problem...........most of the time, they haven't.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The problem is that this has been a repeated problem from day 1. The players have had to play at least somewhat decently in order to overcome this perennial coaching problem...........most of the time, they haven't.
I don't really have an answer for that. After last season, it seemed like we had turned the corner on offense and with a few tweaks, we would improve on redzone O and turnovers. Defense was where the biggest questions were. The D played a very good half on run D and had breakdowns on 3rd & long. In a word, fixable. We missed several turnovers by inches last week. We get those, and who knows how the game turns out? The offense not being able to sustain drives wore the D out and turned a close contest into a blowout. Did Kubes take the Jets too lightly? I don't understand why Kubes and Co. can't make in-game adjustments. He wouldn't even give CB more carries when it was obvious he was more effective. I hate to think of changing coaching staffs, but that's looking more and more like the best route. We have the talent, on both sides of the ball, to be a competitive team, but we never seem to get the most out of that talent. That's a coaching problem, pure and simple.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #43
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last weeks game was not Scaubs fault. He didn't look good, but he really had no chance to. The coaching staff did a horrible job of gameplanning, making in-game adjustments and calling the game. As fans, we went from playoff bound if Schaub stays healthy to we can't win if Schaub is our QB, based on one game? That's ridiculous. He is a good QB. Maybe he isn't a HOFer, but he's certainly better than anyone else on the team. Put your panick buttons away and let's see what happens tomorrow.
I just had a "if HWWNBN had a better O-line and more receivers..." flashback when I read that first sentence.
I don't mean any harm, but that sounds an awful lot like excusing Schaub from blame.

The way I understand it, and you guys who might know better correct me if this is wrong, but the QB sits in on the game-planning too. So if a faulty game plan was the issue, then he's part of the problem.
So no. Schaub cannot be absolved from blame.
No way.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #44
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I just had a "if HWWNBN had a better O-line and more receivers..." flashback when I read that first sentence.
I don't mean any harm, but that sounds an awful lot like excusing Schaub from blame.

The way I understand it, and you guys who might know better correct me if this is wrong, but the QB sits in on the game-planning too. So if a faulty game plan was the issue, then he's part of the problem.
No way.
In no way can you absolve Schaub for a lot of things. But, if Schaub is not allowed to audible, I logically have to question how much input he is truly allowed when it comes to final game planning?
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #45
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
In no way can you absolve Schaub for a lot of things. But, if Schaub is not allowed to audible, I logically have to question how much input he is truly allowed when it comes to final game planning?
Both of those things, not letting your QB audible and having minimal input in game plan formation, are very disturbing.
Maybe it's a control freak thing on the part of Kubiak. And strangely enough, that would be good news. Because the alternative explanation is that he has little faith in his QB's football smarts.
The latter is kinda hard to believe because Schaub seems to make good reads and goes thru his progressions properly.
...so maybe it's a control freak thing on Kubiak's part.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #46
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

No way.
I can see where you would think that, but it isn't the case. Schaub isn't above reproach by any means, but Sunday wasn't his loss. It was Kubiaks. If Kubiak suddenly doesn't trust the QB, who he gave 2 2nd round picks for, to make the right read and audible us out of a bad play, then then Kubes needs to join the ranks of the unemployed. Schaub has proven he can throw the ball well. He's no Steve Young scrambling, but he's not Dan Marino or Bernie Kosar, either. Given reasonable protection, he makes the right throw...most of the time. The offense we saw last Sunday was offensive in all phases, so we can't just say it was Schaub's fault and put in O or G, expecting better results. BTW, I have no idea how much input players
have on game planning.
Old 09-20-2009   #47
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr was durable as heck, had a strong azz arm, was mobile and had a sick crossover move that he used to get into the endzone on a busted play doing his best runningback impersonation.........then we get rid of him for David Carr-light.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #48
DocBar
Hall of Fame

How have we gone from the 3rd ranked offense in total yds during '08 and everyone, rightfully so, questioning ONLY Schaubs durability to Schaub being compared to David Carr? One game, against a defense that completely overwhelmed our entire offensive effort, is justification for this? I think we, as fans, are being a little overcritical of the situation and are getting panicky.
Old 09-20-2009   #49
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Where is everyone? I hope you're watching Schaub having a pretty good day in Nashville. Can we drop these kind of threads for a while?
Old 09-20-2009   #50
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where is everyone? I hope you're watching Schaub having a pretty good day in Nashville. Can we drop these kind of threads for a while?
No, because Schaub didn't break any league records.

That means he's terribad.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah Schaub sucks in this offense. 158.333 QB rating.
Old 09-20-2009   #52
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub, like the Texans, is hot and cold. Last week cold, today hot as hell. When he starts showing consistency for an entire season instead of individual games, then the critics will be silent.

And he was damn good today.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #53
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Please read original post. Matt was much more mobile today.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Please read original post. Matt was much more mobile today.
Sorry, but I read the original post. It contained this:

Quote:
Even when 110% MS is not the most mobile QB.
So the assertion wasn't just when Schaub had a bum ankle. Schaub fits our system well, more than well. This system doesn't need a Michael Vick. In fact Vick sucked in this system.
Old 09-20-2009   #55
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

I will stand behind that. He will never be the most mobile. i agree he does not need to be though. The O line gave him a chance today, plus he was healthier.
Old 09-20-2009   #56
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

How 'bout them apples? 4 TDs was it?

IN THE SAME GAME?!?

Was that the Houston Texans?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #57
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I heard on the radio MS can be successful only if all the planets align. Well the planets aren't aligned in the Texans offense. Let's look more closely. Even when 110% MS is not the most mobile QB. MS is not the most durable QB. MS not great arm stength. The Texans' line is not the most dominant line. The lack of mobility (especially last week against the Jets, ankle) of MS means that he can't buy any time and make something happen unlike some other QB's that are able to scramble and allow the receivers to create. Therefore we can't utilize AJ physical talents on a busted play. This is even made worse because MS can't affford to take a hit, unlike some QB's that can stay in the pocket until the last second and let the play develope. If we had a QB that could take a hit we would gain some time, or if we had a QB that could scramble and buy some time we could maybe make some conpletions and maybe come up with the big play. We have the receivers to do this but due to the above factors we were unable to do this last week against the Jets. That is why the offense was so pitiful. I understand the PROBLEM is our offensive line. But our offensive line may be just what is was last week for the entire season. The more i write the more depressed I become. The defense only needs to shut down AJ with double coverage and get after MS and we have last week's outcome again this week. I guess what I am getting at is if MS is not healthy and mobile and Kubiak is determined to play MS no matter what like last week, we will have a repeat of last week. I was a Kubiak fan until last week. His inability to get the team up and prepared along with the POOR judgement in playing MS really makes me wonder. I guess getting back to the title, with our Oline we would be better off with a very mobile QB or a QB that can take a hit every once in a while. We have neither in MS. Would appreciate comment that give me some hope. thanks
2009 posted
Old 12-30-2012   #58
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I heard on the radio MS can be successful only if all the planets align. Well the planets aren't aligned in the Texans offense. Let's look more closely. Even when 110% MS is not the most mobile QB. MS is not the most durable QB. MS not great arm stength. The Texans' line is not the most dominant line. The lack of mobility (especially last week against the Jets, ankle) of MS means that he can't buy any time and make something happen unlike some other QB's that are able to scramble and allow the receivers to create. Therefore we can't utilize AJ physical talents on a busted play. This is even made worse because MS can't affford to take a hit, unlike some QB's that can stay in the pocket until the last second and let the play develope. If we had a QB that could take a hit we would gain some time, or if we had a QB that could scramble and buy some time we could maybe make some conpletions and maybe come up with the big play. We have the receivers to do this but due to the above factors we were unable to do this last week against the Jets. That is why the offense was so pitiful. I understand the PROBLEM is our offensive line. But our offensive line may be just what is was last week for the entire season. The more i write the more depressed I become. The defense only needs to shut down AJ with double coverage and get after MS and we have last week's outcome again this week. I guess what I am getting at is if MS is not healthy and mobile and Kubiak is determined to play MS no matter what like last week, we will have a repeat of last week. I was a Kubiak fan until last week. His inability to get the team up and prepared along with the POOR judgement in playing MS really makes me wonder. I guess getting back to the title, with our Oline we would be better off with a very mobile QB or a QB that can take a hit every once in a while. We have neither in MS. Would appreciate comment that give me some hope. thanks
Quote:
I guess I am trying to figure out if we can salvage THIS season. Again I agree a better offensive line is the answer and very possibly that is the ONLY answer.Nothing else may make a substantial difference in the overall outcome. I do think Ben would do better than MS did against the Jets only because he could have bought some time and probably had some success. Would it have made a difference in the overall outcome? Maybe, maybe not. Little things can make differences. If Slaton had not fumbled that might have changed the course of the game.The question is would Ben have survived, I think so. If MS did the same thing and took the same hits would he have survived? I think the Texans/MS by design or by instinct have decided that MS can not afford to get hit and take a chance of injury. AGAIN I hope the ankle was the reason for the poor showing. And again I think MS is just barely mobile enoughwhen healthy to be effective against a good pass rushing defense with our offensive line. Do I think Gross/Orv would be better, I am not sure but I am afraid we will find out. Let's just hope that NY Jets have a GREAT defense and from here on it will get easier.Again all above my opinion only.
Quote:
I have heard it a couple of different times that MS is limited by the coaching staff as to making changes. If this is true I think it is wrong unless I am missing something. When do they turn the speakers off? Well a lot of things change after those speakers go out. Unless MS is Carrlike I think he needs the opportunity to make changes. If he is that Carrlike ...........
This is Post started 9/2009 over 3 years ago
Schaub has lost what little mobility he had and i think arm strength has gotten worse or he needs wind up now to throw the ball.

Just posted to remind some of you in case you think something may change in the future.

Matt is Matt period. Not his fault he is what he is. I think the FO/coaching staff needs to be more objective and realistic and realize what they have.

Maybe they know and are in a wait and hold pattern but then why resign him before this season.

Last edited by gafftop; 12-31-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2012   #59
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't see the zombie thread until it was too late. Disregard

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read