Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2009   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Offense and Schaub, Poor Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
I would agree with that. Ben would get the sacks but he would not be bailing all the time. He would make some plays with AJ that Schaub will not. Ben is stlill looking to make a play while Schaub is just looking to throw the ball away. Just the way it is not good , not bad, just different mindset. If Schaub played like Ben he wouldn't last very long and I think he knows that and the coaches know that and coach him accordingly.
The Sex Cannon and Orlovsky both have bought themselves time with better poise in the pocket than Schaub. With both of them having "big arms," they are more likely to make something out of nothing with just a small amount of the "good judgement" factor. Let's face it, under pressure, Schaub did not show any better judgement than Orlovosky........and maybe worse.........especially for a "seasoned veteran." JMHO
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009   #22
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Umm i dont about yall but latley MS man he took some hits and got back up so

Matty can take some hits

He got hit in the raiders game last year and the jets game
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009   #23
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
So what you're saying is, behind our line, Big Ben would take more sacks than Schaub but get better results; i.e., more big plays/TD passes...?
Bingo. He's a special player in that regard and is the only QB that can get away with holding the ball like he does because he can take the punishment and he's big enough to shake off tacklers. The problem is, I do not think he'd be all that consistent if we cant get a running game going over the course of a game. Same problem we currently have with Schaub and whoever else we line up under center because the coaches cannot adjust when there isn't a running game because the scheme's success lives and dies off the success of our running game.

For example: The Steelers running game got shut down, the coaches adjusted and decided to air it out the rest of the game with winning results.

Have we ever adjusted like that? I know the whole, "But they'll blitz us like crazy" line, but that's all part of the adjustment. You gotta give your QB some hot reads to beat the blitz, maybe even let him call some AUDIBLES based on what the defense is showing him!!!
Old 09-19-2009   #24
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

Have we ever adjusted like that? I know the whole, "But they'll blitz us like crazy" line, but that's all part of the adjustment. You gotta give your QB some hot reads to beat the blitz, maybe even let him call some AUDIBLES based on what the defense is showing him!!!

What is the AUDIBLE you speak of?
Old 09-19-2009   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew6 View Post
what is the audible you speak of?
heeeeeeeellllppppppp!
Old 09-19-2009   #26
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping the reason Schaub didn't play well was because of his ankle. But even if his ankle were fine, we couldn't run the ball at all against the Jets. At the end of it all our running game dictates our offense more so than our passing game.

Schaub is fine for our system. I don't see a reason to change that, but if we can't get the running game working, we're going to have a really long season.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #27
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

My only concern this year on offense is Steve Slaton. I'm worried that the added weight may have slowed him down. The Texans offense is the same as last year when they were #3. This was basically the ravens part two. The ravens had a rookie qb and rookie head coach last year just like the jets did this year. The only thing that remained the same was Rex Ryan. He knows how to shut this offense down. Kubiak needs to study the game film from those 2 games and come up with a gameplan exclusively for that defense.

Was I pissed about the game last week? You bet I was. I vented on here and other boards. But it is week 2 and we are headed off to tackville. This should be a much better game. I don't think we will see the lame duck Texans this week. I think we will see the real Texans that score points and a defense that plays better this week. Go Texans!

Last edited by bckey; 09-19-2009 at 09:31 AM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #28
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Schaub did not show any better judgement than Orlovosky........and maybe worse.........especially for a "seasoned veteran." JMHO
The big 360lb gorilla in the room (not named Kris Jenkins) is that there's a fair chance that Schaub may not be the guy we had hoped he would be. Nobody seems to be talking about that, though, I guess because he's someone who puts the effort and time in as well as commanding the respect of his team mates, so it's not like his predecessor who was easy to run out of town.

Quote:
My only concern this year on offense is Steve Slaton. I'm worried that the added weight may have slowed him down.
I guess if we say this enough it will become truth ... or not. He told 610 that he's back at his 2008 weight so we can throw this right out the window where it was supposed to be in the first place.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #29
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's face it, Schaub is who we thought he was. He has assets and liabilities. He is not very good after the play breaks down. Most of his injuries have come after a play broke down and he failed to throw the ball away while he trying to make a play happen. It is not only that he isn't fast but also that he is not evasive. He doesn't seem to have that magic that makes an NFL QB great. He doesn't today and he won't tomorrow.

If Grossman is not the man and the other guy isn't either then we need to take a QB in the draft that has those abilities whether he is 1st round or 6th round I can't say.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
If Grossman is not the man and the other guy isn't either then we need to take a QB in the draft that has those abilities whether he is 1st round or 6th round I can't say.
Maybe. A lot of that depends on what else we could get for what we spend. I wouldn't pass on another Palomalu next draft to get a rookie QB that will have to sit on the bench for a couple of years.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Maybe. A lot of that depends on what else we could get for what we spend. I wouldn't pass on another Palomalu next draft to get a rookie QB that will have to sit on the bench for a couple of years.
Would settle then for a veteran QB who should be sitting on the bench?
Old 09-19-2009   #32
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would settle then for a veteran QB who should be sitting on the bench?
Meh, it's a tough choice. I just think Schaub is going to look a lot better most of this year....if he stays healthy--and he did takes some serious hits and keep getting up last Sunday.

Old 09-19-2009   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Sex Cannon and Orlovsky both have bought themselves time with better poise in the pocket than Schaub. With both of them having "big arms," they are more likely to make something out of nothing with just a small amount of the "good judgement" factor. Let's face it, under pressure, Schaub did not show any better judgement than Orlovosky........and maybe worse.........especially for a "seasoned veteran." JMHO
Must spread rep... yada, yada, yada...

On point, my man, on point.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Meh, it's a tough choice. I just think Schaub is going to look a lot better most of this year....if he stays healthy--and he did takes some serious hits and keep getting up last Sunday.
Question:
Is it Matt "if he stays healthy" Schaub
or
If he stays healthy, Matt Schaub.

I'm just wondering if that phrase has become Schaub's first name or middle name
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #35
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Question:
Is it Matt "if he stays healthy" Schaub
or
If he stays healthy, Matt Schaub.

I'm just wondering if that phrase has become Schaub's first name or middle name
I thought it was Matt "Ben Taub" Schaub.

Old 09-19-2009   #36
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Some of you guys are starting to want him benched...., so you can rest assured he will finally stay healthy, lol.

Old 09-19-2009   #37
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some of you guys are starting to want him benched...., so you can rest assured he will finally stay healthy, lol.
Right now I think he's our best guy and don't want him benched. What I'm concerned about is longevity and is he a true franchise quarterback?
Old 09-19-2009   #38
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
Right now I think he's our best guy and don't want him benched. What I'm concerned about is longevity and is he a true franchise quarterback?
Honestly, I doubt it; but, our coaches and/or O-line made him look much worse than he is last Sunday. He's good enough that I might even say he is a franchise QB, but not for this system.

Old 09-19-2009   #39
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Honestly, I doubt it; but, our coaches and/or O-line made him look much worse than he is last Sunday. He's good enough that I might even say he is a franchise QB, but not for this system.
This system relies heavily on an effective running game and whenever that gets neutralized it seems the team and Schaub play poorly. Perhaps this is just a downside to our offense but Schaub hasn't struck me as the type of QB who can overcome that. To be fair though, Kubiak hasn't been able to overcome it either, so I get what you're saying.
Old 09-19-2009   #40
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Last weeks game was not Scaubs fault. He didn't look good, but he really had no chance to. The coaching staff did a horrible job of gameplanning, making in-game adjustments and calling the game. As fans, we went from playoff bound if Schaub stays healthy to we can't win if Schaub is our QB, based on one game? That's ridiculous. He is a good QB. Maybe he isn't a HOFer, but he's certainly better than anyone else on the team. Put your panick buttons away and let's see what happens tomorrow.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read