Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2009   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool OL LB Eligible?

Can someone explain that to me, and why it happened at least a few times everies Jets series?

Thanks.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #2
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OL LB Eligible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Can someone explain that to me, and why it happened at least a few times everies Jets series?

Thanks.
When the Jets were on offense and #78 reported eligible?
Old 09-14-2009   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

If you are talking about the Jets using an extra OL as a TE making him an eligible receiver then they certainly did do that quite a bit. If you remember the Ravens game last year when Rex Ryan was the DC they, too, used an extra offensive lineman as a TE. For the Ravens it seemed they used it to help make their running game even more dominant. The Jets seemed to be using it both for some passing and running plays. I recall one play where they had #78 out wide almost like a WR only to put him in motion back to the formation before snapping the ball.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #4
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: OL LB Eligible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
If you are talking about the Jets using an extra OL as a TE making him an eligible receiver then they certainly did do that quite a bit. If you remember the Ravens game last year when Rex Ryan was the DC they, too, used an extra offensive lineman as a TE. For the Ravens it seemed they used it to help make their running game even more dominant. The Jets seemed to be using it both for some passing and running plays. I recall one play where they had #78 out wide almost like a WR only to put him in motion back to the formation before snapping the ball.
It was so freakin' often I didn't understand why they kept using him, unless he's that great on both sides of the ball...
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 09-14-2009   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
It was so freakin' often I didn't understand why they kept using him, unless he's that great on both sides of the ball...
Are you saying they used #78 on the defensive side of the ball too? I didn't see that. Perhaps I didn't notice him on defense, but he's listed as an OL on their website.
Old 09-14-2009   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you saying they used #78 on the defensive side of the ball too? I didn't see that. Perhaps I didn't notice him on defense, but he's listed as an OL on their website.
It says right there on that website:

Used by Jets on special teams and as an extra tight end on offense.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It says right there on that website:

Used by Jets on special teams and as an extra tight end on offense.
I know he was used as a tight end since I saw that in the game. I just didn't see him in on defense which is what I thought Yankee was referring to when he said "both sides of the ball"
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2009   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Cool Re: OL LB Eligible?

Quote:
I know he was used as a tight end since I saw that in the game. I just didn't see him in on defense which is what I thought Yankee was referring to when he said "both sides of the ball"
LOL, did they just mis-number him?
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 09-14-2009   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yankee was probably thinking of some D-guy that some other teams put in on offense to block like Vrabel or to block/run like the Fridge William Perry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...thletic_career

Perry became famous for his prowess as a defensive lineman. In addition, Perry was used as a fullback when his team was near the opponents' goal line or 4th and short situations, either as a ball carrier or a lead blocker for running back Walter Payton. During his rookie season, Perry rushed for 2 touchdowns and caught a pass for one. Perry was once used in a surprise play during a Pro Bowl game as an offensive lineman.

Perry even had the opportunity to run the ball during Super Bowl XX, as a nod to his popularity and contributions to the team's success. The first time he got the ball, he was tackled for a one-yard loss while attempting to throw his first NFL pass on a halfback option play. But the second time he got the ball, he scored a touchdown; as a result, Walter Payton was denied an easy scoring opportunity.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read