Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2009   #121
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 116 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
This has got to be one of the weakest threads I've ever seen in here.

Over half the posters in here have sworn by Kubiak as the next Fisher or Bill Cowher ever since I've been in this forum. Hell, I've been cursed at and insulted a number of times for talking about how Kubiak isn't about **** as a HC and how he was nothing but average, and after one game all of the Kubiak worshipers want him canned now? Boy how the worms can turn.

Sorry guys, this looks weak coming from a lot of you that have sworn Kubes was the man for so long now and gone on and on about how how him and Smith were such a great tandem of a HC and GM and how they were doing everything right by "building this team slowly."
i'm with this guy. kind of.

i mean the first part i am totally with. this is a weak thread and a lot of people are jumping ship early. too early in my mind. a lot of people were even starting to get upset at preseason games. you know those games that happen BEFORE anything really MATTERS. Kubes, in my mind, was hired right before owners started robbing the cradle so a lot of us see the Bucs the Broncos and the Ravens with these young guys who are jumping up and celebrating with their players and say "we want that" when, in reality, we have an expierianced guy who likes to stick to his guns rather than gamble. i'd take that over a new younger guy who we will have to give another 3 years to build HIS team up and find HIS franchise QB (imagine if Denver got Orton for Cutler what we will get for Schaub... Schaun Hill?).

hell you guys live in Texas and the guy who lives up in the first state to legalize gay marriage without a supreme court ruling is the one telling you that being conservative works. what the hell is this world coming to?
Old 09-13-2009   #122
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
i'm with this guy. kind of.

i mean the first part i am totally with. this is a weak thread and a lot of people are jumping ship early. too early in my mind. a lot of people were even starting to get upset at preseason games. you know those games that happen BEFORE anything really MATTERS. Kubes, in my mind, was hired right before owners started robbing the cradle so a lot of us see the Bucs the Broncos and the Ravens with these young guys who are jumping up and celebrating with their players and say "we want that" when, in reality, we have an expierianced guy who likes to stick to his guns rather than gamble. i'd take that over a new younger guy who we will have to give another 3 years to build HIS team up and find HIS franchise QB (imagine if Denver got Orton for Cutler what we will get for Schaub... Schaun Hill?).

hell you guys live in Texas and the guy who lives up in the first state to legalize gay marriage without a supreme court ruling is the one telling you that being conservative works. what the hell is this world coming to?

Well the thing is that for the last two years Kubiak has been thought of as a "GOD" around here. I've heard argument after argument how he's going to be this wonderful coach and how putting him on the hot seat after two years of 8-8 was down right ridiculous and then the statements of how last year's 8-8 was so much better than the 8-8 from the year before which was the more recent one Kubes worshipers threw out. People have tried to make all of these ridiculous comparisons of how it was like when Fisher started out and how he didn't have great success and how Kubes was going the similar route with building the team slowly and yada yada yada, all because he was the new Texans coach at the time. I just find it funny how so many people that have worshiped the guy and just knew he would have a winning season this year now want him axed over the first game of the season. So many guys that acted like he was this QB guru and this great coach in the making, and now after the first game, he's all of a sudden "a can" of a HC.

Had the Texans won this game, I promise you that this board would be so freaking different right now and Kubes would be getting cheers and hoorays and the pink soap threads would be a complete after thought.
Old 09-13-2009   #123
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder what the hell happened to that genius Offensive Coordinator that hung 49 points on a solid Eagles defense back in 2005 on the way to the playoffs in Denver.

I thought that he ended up over here in 2006.

Now it's starting to look like Denver just fired him this past offseason.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Old 09-13-2009   #124
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
After the Jets took the 2nd half kickoff and drove the field for a TD to make it 17-zip, I looked to the sidelines to see what Kubiak was doing. I thought he might be chewing out some players, maybe some coaches. Something.

Nope. He was standing about 20 yards from anyone else, reading what looked to be a Denny's laminated menu. So with nothing worth seeing on the field, I decided to watch Kubiak for the rest of the game. Maybe he was looking for answers. Or maybe he was deciding between the patty melt or possibly fool everyone and go for the Lumberjack Slam. Only his waitress knows for sure.

Did Kubiak ever rejoin the team, coach up some players, get in the face of some assistants? Ever? Nope. He just starred down that menu for the rest of the half, other than checking on an injured Shaun Cody late in the game. In a very disinterested fashion. I've never seen a coach take a beating like the Texans took, and seem so unemotional and detached.

Gary Kubiak. Dead Coach Walking. And it's only Week One. Try the migas, Gary. Extra jalapenos. You need some fire in your belly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
This reminds me of Dom Capers note pad and non of us could figure out what the heck he was always writing down.

Maybe Kubes is reading up on Yahoo's top 10 donts during a job interview.
I looked into Kubiak's eyes today (HD is cool that way), and I saw the ghost of Jack Pardee. His headset isn't crooked, yet, but just give it time. More games like this and it'll be sideways, his hair tussled, and he'll be ordering his custom Grand Slam breakfast from his Denny's menu.

Larry Dierker had the same look in his last season with the Astros, except it was a sunflower seed stuck to his lip instead of a headset. Rudy T. had the look in the end, as well, and Dom had it, too. These are leaders who no longer have the team.

Kubiak looked baffled today, and that is the troublesome part. Do I want him fired? I don't care to be honest. I'm comfortably numb and will remain in the deep freeze about giving a crap until they finally do something to be proud of.
Old 09-13-2009   #125
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
And that is what I am trying to figure out. Does Kubiak not want his QBs to have more control because he thinks they are too stupid to handle the responsibility? Or is Kubiak so arrogant that he believes whatever he calls will work, and there is no need for the QB to change the play? Either way, I don't like it. Even if we make the playoffs, this is something that has to be addressed.
To me, this offense lives and dies by the involvement of AJ and OD.

In the games where we don't get the ball in their hands, we stink it up all day long. When those two guys are catching and running, defenses are trying to shut them down and it opens it up for Slaton, Walter, Anderson, A Davis. Which then opens it back up for AJ and OD.

Today, AJ and OD were non-factors from the beginning. So it completely stifles the playcalling, IMO.

We just become very predictable if those two guys get blanketed early on and Schaub fails to connect with them right away. Those times early last year when Schaub couldn't connect with AJ early on, AJ was visibly pissed and would just walk around in a zombie-like trance as if he could care what happened from there on out.

Sometimes I think AJ might be the most cerebral guy on our team. You can tell the state of this team by his on-field and sideline demeanor. IMO, he knows when things are getting goofy. And instead of throwing the team under the bus by using words in the media, he gives all of us some insight by his body language out there.
Old 09-13-2009   #126
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9288 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After the Jets took the 2nd half kickoff and drove the field for a TD to make it 17-zip, I looked to the sidelines to see what Kubiak was doing. I thought he might be chewing out some players, maybe some coaches. Something.

Nope. He was standing about 20 yards from anyone else, reading what looked to be a Denny's laminated menu. So with nothing worth seeing on the field, I decided to watch Kubiak for the rest of the game. Maybe he was looking for answers. Or maybe he was deciding between the patty melt or possibly fool everyone and go for the Lumberjack Slam. Only his waitress knows for sure.

Did Kubiak ever rejoin the team, coach up some players, get in the face of some assistants? Ever? Nope. He just starred down that menu for the rest of the half, other than checking on an injured Shaun Cody late in the game. In a very disinterested fashion. I've never seen a coach take a beating like the Texans took, and seem so unemotional and detached.

Gary Kubiak. Dead Coach Walking. And it's only Week One. Try the migas, Gary. Extra jalapenos. You need some fire in your belly.
Wait were we watching the same game? I could of sworn they only should Kubiak like 4-5 times the whole game and Brian Bchottenheimer/Rex Ryan the whole game.
Old 09-13-2009   #127
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The one time we tried to use that quick pass to AJ, he gets tripped up immediately. Of course, we should have ran the version of that pass to AJ where he's already running a little slant right at the snap...instead of him standing still out there like he was today.

And that's what I am most upset with: Even our standard playcalls just seemed like they were either called at the wrong time, or were not executed well, or were already sniffed out by the Jets before they happened.

It felt like the Jets knew everything ahead of time.

It felt like they actually did their homework. And us? Well, we grabbed a friend 10 minutes before class and peeked at some notes before the quiz.
Old 09-13-2009   #128
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I looked into Kubiak's eyes today (HD is cool that way), and I saw the ghost of Jack Pardee. His headset isn't crooked, yet, but just give it time. More games like this and it'll be sideways, his hair tussled, and he'll be ordering his custom Grand Slam breakfast from his Denny's menu.

Larry Dierker had the same look in his last season with the Astros, except it was a sunflower seed stuck to his lip instead of a headset. Rudy T. had the look in the end, as well, and Dom had it, too. These are leaders who no longer have the team.

Kubiak looked baffled today, and that is the troublesome part. Do I want him fired? I don't care to be honest. I'm comfortably numb and will remain in the deep freeze about giving a crap until they finally do something to be proud of.
Agreed, although I've thought this about Kubiak since year one. He's never struck me as a guy that would be a real good HC. He's always seemed conservative to me, and never seemed to have that fire that I see in other coaches. I hated it in his first year how he took that entire season to just "evaluate" instead of thinking he could go in there and try to have a winning season like Peyton and Mangini did in their first seasons when they took over awful teams. Kubes had the towel thrown in that year before the season ever began and I disliked him from that moment. Then it was far to many times in his first season where he would run the ball on 3rd and long without even trying to get first downs when we had absolutely no running game. It's been like this entire time he's known that he had a really long leash, so he planned on using every inch of it instead of demanding to win games from his players from the moment he got there by any means necessary.

This game was just no surprise to me. Not one bit. I've grown numb to it, and it's to the point that I just don't let it bother me anymore. What's bothered me is how so many fans bought into this guy the same way they did with Capers just because he was the HC of the Texans and wanted to praise every little baby step he took instead of demanding BIG STEPS after that debacle that Capers turned this team into. Once Kubes was hired the short leash should have been there from the beginning since he was unproven.
Old 09-13-2009   #129
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
These are leaders who no longer have the team.
It looked like he didn't even want the team. If Kubiak called a press conference tomorrow and resigned, I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't.

There is no leadership on this team. In this organization. Bob McNair should hire a real NFL man to run this ship from stem to stern. And that guy should fire everyone, from the 50 VPs to the ticket takers. Bring in an entirely new organization that builds a real tradition. Not one that celebrates 1st downs when you're down 17 in the 4th quarter of your season opener.
Old 09-13-2009   #130
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Wait were we watching the same game? I could of sworn they only should Kubiak like 4-5 times the whole game and Brian Bchottenheimer/Rex Ryan the whole game.
I didn't have the opportunity to watch the game on TV. I paid $$$ to watch this debacle from Gridiron, TX (Population: Angry).
Old 09-13-2009   #131
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

They said it on Tv the Best Rex Ryan OWNZ Gary
Old 09-13-2009   #132
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
It looked like he didn't even want the team. If Kubiak called a press conference tomorrow and resigned, I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't.

There is no leadership on this team. In this organization. Bob McNair should hire a real NFL man to run this ship from stem to stern. And that guy should fire everyone, from the 50 VPs to the ticket takers. Bring in an entirely new organization that builds a real tradition. Not one that celebrates 1st downs when you're down 17 in the 4th quarter of your season opener.
I watched the Jets players giggling and giving Rex Ryan a Gatorade bath. Rex was laughing about it, and seemed to genuinely enjoy it.

You don't see any of that sort of basic fellowship rituals between Kubiak and his team.

Of course, it's all "good" when you're winning. If the Jets get their rears kicked the next four weeks...there will be less celebrating I would suppose.

But still, there seems to be be a bit of a contrast between these two teams.

One cares, and the other doesn't.
Old 09-13-2009   #133
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination. With his family in N.C. he really might just want to wait it out until John Fox's tenure is gone. Still a remote possibility I guess.

No way JJ comes out of retirement.

I name I haven't heard but I think should be on any possible list of replacements: Marty Schottenheimer.

Marty Ball isn't exciting but he wins and he knows how to build a team. Just putting it out there.
Old 09-13-2009   #134
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

That Don Capers 3-4 looked pretty stout thats what we need.
Old 09-14-2009   #135
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination. With his family in N.C. he really might just want to wait it out until John Fox's tenure is gone. Still a remote possibility I guess.

I name I haven't heard but I think should be on any possible list of replacements: Marty Schottenheimer.

Marty Ball isn't exciting but he wins and he knows how to build a team. Just putting it out there.
I'd take up a collection to get Marty here. I'd throw the first thousand dollars in myself. We've had two coaches and neither one of them had any history building a successful NFL franchise. Dom had a brief run with the Panthers that ended in his team falling apart (go figure) and Gary has proven that he can build an offense that looks kind of like the one he worked with in Denver when Mike Shanahan was picking the players and likely doing most of Gary's job for him or "with him" if that makes things run smoother.

Why won't McNair hire somebody whose actually done it? Why won't he spend the money to bring in a coach and a GM who know exactly how to win? It's not like they don't exist and when you're winning that's like a license to print money. Sure they might be expensive but what's more expensive? Paying up front to get what you want one time or going through regime after regime trying to find that one diamond in a goats ass? Rebuilding is going to get old when the seats are empty.
Old 09-14-2009   #136
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Every fan base in the NFL that doesn't already have a great coach is calling for Cowher. Cowher isn't going to come to Houston. He'll go where is closest to his family most likely.

The guy I would like to make a strong run at is MIKE HOLMGREN. He went to two SB's with GB and then went to another in Seattle and has put out a lot of competitive teams. Holmgren is the guy I would like the Texans to make a strong push for.
Old 09-14-2009   #137
Lucky

Quote:
I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination.
When fans ask for Cowher, they're asking for intensity. For presence. For toughness. For leadership. It doesn't matter if it's Cowher, or someone who has never been an NFL head coach. What they want is a change in attitude.

Well, that and some wins.
Old 09-14-2009   #138
GP 
Go Texans!

Even if Cowher could come here, who does he get for coordinators?

They're all with the Steelers. They're one big family there, enjoying the fruits of their labor.

I am afraid that grabbing Cowher/JJ/Marty would be a bad idea. They'd have to assemble a coaching staff around them. And how compatible would our current roster be with what the new coach desires to put on the field?

It would be exciting at first. Then it would wear off, and the "Fire" threads would pop up more quickly than ever.

When was the last time a Super Bowl team had a head coach who specializes in offense? It seems they all came from a background in defense.
Old 09-14-2009   #139
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
When fans ask for Cowher, they're asking for intensity. For presence. For toughness. For leadership. It doesn't matter if it's Cowher, or someone who has never been an NFL head coach. What they want is a change in attitude.

Well, that and some wins.
Defensive coordinators are typically very vocal, and very aggressive by the nature of their job: Teach their guys to practically KILL the QB or RB or WR.

I think there is something to the idea that a good HC is someone who knows how to inspire the WHOLE team to have that killer instinct.

I know I have joked about getting Mike Leach. But he's an offensive-minded head coach who has that killer instinct: Always going for the opponent's jugular. Going for it all. Never letting up. Never.

Kubiak acts like his scripted plays should work. We should score 3 TDs, and that's the end of the game. Somehow, it's enough. It should be enough. 3 TDs is a good day's work, and by golly we're going to win because we are efficient and persistent and cute.
Old 09-14-2009   #140
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Even if Cowher could come here, who does he get for coordinators?

They're all with the Steelers. They're one big family there, enjoying the fruits of their labor.

I am afraid that grabbing Cowher/JJ/Marty would be a bad idea. They'd have to assemble a coaching staff around them. And how compatible would our current roster be with what the new coach desires to put on the field?

It would be exciting at first. Then it would wear off, and the "Fire" threads would pop up more quickly than ever.

When was the last time a Super Bowl team had a head coach who specializes in offense? It seems they all came from a background in defense.

Well Wisenhunt was the Steelers OC and he just went to the SB and was a hair away form winning it. That's close enough for me, but you're right it hasn't been many in recent memory.

Holmgren was also an offensive coach that went to the SB and again lost to the Steelers though, but Holmgren's been a fantastic coach.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read