Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2005   #21
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Little smoke on the Horizon

A little smoke from the Texans....

Thought you might find this interesting.....
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #22
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

One part of the article did not add up.
Signability could be an issue between the Texans and Shelton, who was due a base salary of $3 million in each of the next four years and will command a lot of interest
I thought the Texans were in a position to sign O Pace not too long ago. So why would we be out of the running on this one?

BTW I would take Shelton over Wand right now. I sure hope the next draft will net the Texans a franchise LT, because we are not getting one any other way.
Old 05-21-2005   #23
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

article is about the same as what we have heard the last few years.. Capers talking about getting the 5 best players on the field. The switching of players around the line (in the article Wand played LG in times) is nothing new to me.. What it tells me is that Capers wants to know if the time came we could put Wand over at guard if Pitts was injured..and if he'd be an upgrade over say Milford Brown or fred Weary or whoever.

I am not reading much in to it.. because we looking at anyone that can help the team whether starting wise or depth wise..if the edge got released..I am sure we'd look at him .. if Javon Walker got released..we'd look at him

IMO if we need anything it is a Center..Sacks would be avoided if Carr could actually step up into the pocket instead of bouncing back and around tackles. I am not saying the tackles aren't giving up sacks.. but with quicker reads by Carr and a pocket to actually throw from would do wonders
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #24
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

we need good tackles...shelton could probably come in and start at LT for us...giving us a starting line up like this:

shelton pitts mckinney wiegert wade

backups

wand washington hodgden weary riley
Old 05-21-2005   #25
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

This tells me that Riley is about to get dropped.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #26
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i don't think he'll be dropped if we sign shelton...riley is bound to be better than the udfa tackles we signed and is better than gerrick jones...he would be a safty net as one of the back-ups...if we do sign shelton he will be our starting LT
Old 05-21-2005   #27
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i don't think he'll be dropped if we sign shelton...riley is bound to be better than the udfa tackles we signed and is better than gerrick jones...
I don't think Riley gets cut unless he doesn't get into shape by training camp. If he comes into camp fat, he'll be looking for another job.
Old 05-21-2005   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "If he can play, then he can stay"

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #29
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Could be a decent pick-up, and would provide immediate competition at the LT spot - TC would prove who is the better player.

Riley hasnt done much except put is putting some ire in some folks because he's arguementative. He's got to do better if he wants even a back up spot or will be a june 1st cut IMO.

Honestly more in-fighting goes on than folks think. This is a competitive sport and trash talking is just as big a part of it and that leads to people losing tempers and getting in scraps. With alot more jobs on the line this year I expect a lot more of this until a leader or 3 steps up in the locker room, huddle or on the field with a play that commands the guys attention.

Honestly I would sign him today just for depth if he checked out in medical.

The chronicle article seemed to imply that Capers at least recognized they "werent happy" with the way the line played last year. But if thats true Ummm I have a question Coach - How come Charlie & co havent signed anyone thru FA to shore up the much needed O-line problems we have???
IMO just havent seen too much on the Texans part since FA started. We cleared a lot of cap space - but havent really signed anyone for the biggest need on the team. Granted it's been a pretty dry market, but there were a couple of decent "Starting Quality" guys early on in FA that would have been a little financial strain to get, but the Texans had the money to sign if they wanted to. Yet they choose to wait until now to start looking at LT talent?

Bottom line - I dont expect the team to sign Shelton or anyone until after the June 1st cuts to see what else hops up on the market. IF nothing better comes up - I expect them to make Shelton a tender offer for a veteran player with a min bonus up front and backloaded with playing incentives.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read