Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2005   #21
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
Bro! Take it easy on the BOLD and perhaps I was bit disrespectful but I am not being stupid, just making a point.

You mention that I should show some "respect" for Carr since he threw for 3,500 yards last year and 16 touchdowns!??! Now who is being stupid?! Vinny Testaverde threw for 3,500 yards and 17 touchdowns last year and you saw the respect the Cowboys gave him showing him the door! Is that who you are comparing Carr to? Vinnie T? I hope NOT!

Look, as a person Carr is a fine young man and as an athlete he has good feet and has a great arm. I truly hope this is the year he breaks out and fills expectations. And I am not sure what you meant by he is from California and not Mississippi unless you were trying to help make my point, which was in case you missed it, was that Carr needs to lose his preoccupation with his hair (which was TOTALLY self-created) and it would be nice to see him lose the tantrum/whiner attitude and lead like a General ala year one.

If the offensive line improves this year we should expect marked improvement.

Like Brett Farve numbers of 4,300 yards and 31 touchdowns and NOT Carr or Testaverde numbers of 3,500 yards and 16 or 17 touchdowns.
Of the 140 times i've seen him sacked maybe twice have i see him throw a tantrum and get real angry. Now i think everyone is intitled to a little tantrum after taking such a beating. its like carr is the boss and his employess(o-line) dont do thier job and carr gets the blame the punishment. not only have i only seen him get made maybe twice but he gets up after every play and gets into the huddle and goes at it again. hes a true player that wants to win. and also! i know after every hard loss when he talks to the media he blames himself when most of the time it wasnt even him, he is a leader and he does act like one. and one more thing the hair i dont see the big deal he has long hair, so when he takes his helmet off he moves it outa his face, whats the big deal?
Old 05-21-2005   #22
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Testaverde got booted for the 20 INT's he threw not the 3500 passing yards. 3500 yds is just fine if the O runs efficiently--for reference, playoff QBs with less last year--Hasselbeck, Brees, Pennington, Roethlisberger.

Only 3 QB's had more than 4300 yds last year and Brett Favre wasn't one of them--in fact Favre has only thrown for over 4300 yds once in 14 seasons and that was a decade ago. 3800 yds and more TD's is a reasonable goal for expectations on Carr.

According to NFL.com, Farve stats were: 16 games, 540 attempts, 346 completions 64.1 4088 7.57 79 30 17 12/93 50 12 92.4

He also never threw for less than 20 touchdowns, twice (18 & 19 touchdowns) in his career, for a career average of 29 TD's per year for the Packers.

That all said, I really hope this is the year Carr breaks out and I will be his biggest fan. If he doesn't do it this year then I think the Texans will need to have some competition other than Tony Banks. Perhaps Ragone will be the answer but certainly not from what I have seen from him in the NFL. That is the beauty of it though, when you are pleasantly proved wrong and a dark horse comes out of nowhere, like Dominick Davis. That was exciting and had me pumped going into year 3 until he got hurt and had the brief bout with fumbleitis, both of which he seems to have recovered.

Leading to this year and the hopeful emergence of Carr, my problem with his hair preoccupation notwithstanding.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #23
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Quote:
According to NFL.com, Farve stats were: 16 games, 540 attempts, 346 completions 64.1 4088 7.57 79 30 17 12/93 50 12 92.4

He also never threw for less than 20 touchdowns, twice (18 & 19 touchdowns) in his career, for a career average of 29 TD's per year for the Packers.

That all said, I really hope this is the year Carr breaks out and I will be his biggest fan. If he doesn't do it this year then I think the Texans will need to have some competition other than Tony Banks. Perhaps Ragone will be the answer but certainly not from what I have seen from him in the NFL. That is the beauty of it though, when you are pleasantly proved wrong and a dark horse comes out of nowhere, like Dominick Davis. That was exciting and had me pumped going into year 3 until he got hurt and had the brief bout with fumbleitis, both of which he seems to have recovered.

Leading to this year and the hopeful emergence of Carr, my problem with his hair preoccupation notwithstanding.

so you'll be a players biggest fan only when he has a good year in ur opinion? cause IMO carr has played well the past 3 years and amazing being behind his o-line and comin in to take control of an expansion team has leader written all over it. im already a huge fan i dont need stats to make me that. i need leadership which he has proven and the will to and potential to be great. your bashing carr way to hard IMO.
Old 05-21-2005   #24
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
Okay so if all our and Carrs successes depend on the Oline, Why are you blaming Carr
I am not blaming Carr, I just felt he was a differnt player in year one, which is obvious I know, but I had hoped for more improvement in year three and certainly hope that year 4 is THE year.

I would like to see Carr cowboy up and grab the bull by the horns and lead the team to the playoffs chunking the rock to AJ.

But I am not going to sit around and blow sunshine that Carr has no blame. True he could use more protection and I hope he gets it; but he is not completely off the hook. I did see on occasion last year when Carr took off from the pocket prematurely to the outside only to be sacked for a larger loss instead of throwing it away or dumping it off (tight-end would help too).

Year four should be a watershed year and I hope it floweth freely.
Old 05-21-2005   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

All I am going to say is look at the Minnesota game this past year, also look at how he performed in the freezing cold of Chicago, look at how he played against the Chiefs to be able to pull out the victory there, look at how he played against the Raiders and the Titans.

All these games were either come from behind victories or games where Carr took some hard blows and got right back up.

In my opinion, even though it was a loss, the Vikings game showed a glimpse of why we should expect great things from Carr in the future for the Texans.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #26
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
All I am going to say is look at the Minnesota game this past year, also look at how he performed in the freezing cold of Chicago, look at how he played against the Chiefs to be able to pull out the victory there, look at how he played against the Raiders and the Titans.

All these games were either come from behind victories or games where Carr took some hard blows and got right back up.

In my opinion, even though it was a loss, the Vikings game showed a glimpse of why we should expect great things from Carr in the future for the Texans.

All right, that is cool, I will not bash our quarterback anymore, it was in bad taste anyway and thus sets in the frustration of the offseason.

Here is to hoping for a GREAT Season starting with a win at Buffalo!
Old 05-21-2005   #27
THEFUTURE
All Pro

man im upset i missed the arguement in this thread, i do love those. im to lazy to go and look for the stats right now, but as far as my memory serves me, Carr had one of the best 4th quarter QB Ratings in the NFL... what does this show me, that he knows how to lead his team, and knows what he has to do in order to be a winner... and me being from California, personally resent any comments being made about Cali boys being pretty boys, and stuff like that, dont hate on us cuz were pretty.. we still get the job done... haha... seriously tho, how can anyone criticize Carr, no one in this league has had it as hard as he has his last 3 years, no one. and for him to have it that bad, and still produce the numbers he has produce, and for an expansion team no less, that didnt exactly have the weapons our first year, and only a few weapons our 2nd year... we finally in our 4th year have some stuff for David that he can work with. a TE will help, and me and my eternal optimism believe in BJ, but i think Rivers will be a decent pickup this season, and might become our starter, since he is the most rounded of the bunch... plus if you remember correctly, David through his helmet to the ground only after a late hit at his ankle, and through his helmet cuz he was mad at the refs for missing the call.... and for the hair thing, he likes it, his wife likes it.. yeah he messes with it, but would you rather have him leave it and have his hair in his eyes when he is playing? look at Steve Nash for Phoenix Suns, that guy messes with his hair a ton... he was an MVP, so to say the guys hair is what holding DC back is a joke
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Which quarterback of the past or present would you compare Carr?
Dan Pastorini and Carr were both highly touted California guys coming to teams with poor offensive lines. Both had good mobility and rocket arms. I've seen both their careers up close and they are probably the closest match I can think of.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read