Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

View Poll Results: Will you root for the Oilers/Titans?
Yes 2 2.60%
No 75 97.40%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2009   #101
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will you root for the fake Oilers/Titans (aka Bud Adams)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Yep and those have no sentimental value to me because the only time I ever saw them wearing those unis was the throwback year in 1994 with Bucky Richardson at the helm. In that season I think they only wore those once and I believe they were playing the Bills at the Dome.

I remember those days. You had a choice of Billy Joe Tolliver or Bucky Richardson.

Thats kinda like having to choose between Bush or Kerry.

I can still remember chanting for Bucky at the dome. Only to get my wish and watch him fumble the football and throw a pick.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #102
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I can still remember chanting for Bucky at the dome. Only to get my wish and watch him fumble the football and throw a pick.
Old 07-31-2009   #103
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

What about Will 'der' Furrer? He wasn't any good either. We had a rough go of it at QB for the Oilers last few years here and by the time they address the position (by drafting Steve McNair), the Oilers are already moving to Memphis/Nashville. A bitter pill and then compounded with the Carr debacle, its been tough. Hopefully Matt can stay healthy and turn the tide.

As for the OT, I could never root for the fakeOilers/Titans. Not as long as Bud still owns the team and I think that guy is going to be around for more than a few more years. This year's Texans v. Titans matchups are going to be truly epic. Both teams are trending upwards but have some possible achilless heels at QB (schaub/collins health).
Old 07-31-2009   #104
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers are dead. A bunch of ICOU strapping that dead carcass to their bodies does not revive the Oilers. It just disrespects the memories with Slug's greed.
Old 07-31-2009   #105
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
What about Will 'der' Furrer? He wasn't any good either. We had a rough go of it at QB for the Oilers last few years here and by the time they address the position (by drafting Steve McNair), the Oilers are already moving to Memphis/Nashville. A bitter pill and then compounded with the Carr debacle, its been tough. Hopefully Matt can stay healthy and turn the tide.
Cody Carlson (whom I really liked) going down and out was mainly to blame for the QB issue. Everyone including myself thought he was going to be the heir to Moon. However the Oilers didn't address their ongoing O line issues and got him killed his first season as starter (actually it was the very first game which was against the Colts IIRC). After he went down we were left with Bucky and was Tolliver there yet? I just remember that dreadful 2-14 season with Bucky running for his life and being lost.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #106
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cody Carlson (whom I really liked) going down and out was mainly to blame for the QB issue. Everyone including myself thought he was going to be the heir to Moon. However the Oilers didn't address their ongoing O line issues and got him killed his first season as starter (actually it was the very first game which was against the Colts IIRC). After he went down we were left with Bucky and was Tolliver there yet? I just remember that dreadful 2-14 season with Bucky running for his life and being lost.
If Carlson doesnt pull his groin (against New England?) then Moon probably would of never gotten his starting job back.

Commander Cody was just OK. He beat the Steelers so I give him props for that.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #107
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

I will b cheering for what ever team my capper says to go with
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #108
TITAN1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of FamerTITAN1 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Will you root ror the Oilers/Titans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
It makes me happy to know their week 1 matchup is vs. the Super Bowl champs in Pittsburgh...now they'll know how it feels to start the season 0-1 and beat up
At least, that is what you hope happens. We owned them last year and match up pretty well with them. But, that is why they play the game.
TITAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #109
DutchTexan

Just two words: hell no!
Old 08-24-2009   #110
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1994 was Tolliver's first year and 1993 was Moon's last. In 1993 there was Moon, Carlson, and Bucky. In 1984 we had Tolliver, Carlson, Bucky with Tolliver starting most of the games. It was the ugliest I've ever seen a QB situation till we fast fwd to Carr-Ragone-Henson aka the three stooges.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #111
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
1994 was Tolliver's first year and 1993 was Moon's last. In 1993 there was Moon, Carlson, and Bucky. In 1994 we had Tolliver, Carlson, Bucky with Tolliver starting most of the games. It was the ugliest I've ever seen a QB situation till we fast fwd to Carr-Ragone-Henson aka the three stooges.
That's right. I should have remembered because I remember going to see the Oilers at the Vet in Philly on a MNF game and Tolliver started. I was wearing a Moon jersey and remember having fans asking me if the #1 stood for our only win we had so far that season. That was ugly.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #112
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
1994 was Tolliver's first year and 1993 was Moon's last. In 1993 there was Moon, Carlson, and Bucky. In 1984 we had Tolliver, Carlson, Bucky with Tolliver starting most of the games. It was the ugliest I've ever seen a QB situation till we fast fwd to Carr-Ragone-Henson aka the three stooges.
The first year after Moon departed the Oilers had two rookie T if I remember correctly. Billy Joe was getting killed back there.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #113
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
The first year after Moon departed the Oilers had two rookie T if I remember correctly. Billy Joe was getting killed back there.
Left tackle was Brad Hopkins in his first year and RT was David Williams in his 5th year. Note that both were first round draft selections. (BH -13th overall and DW 23rd overall).
Old 08-24-2009   #114
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Left tackle was Brad Hopkins in his first year and RT was David Williams in his 5th year. Note that both were first round draft selections. (BH -13th overall and DW 23rd overall).
I just remember him getting hammered every time he dropped back. Didn't get his nose broken that year too?

Old 08-24-2009   #115
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I just remember him getting hammered every time he dropped back. Didn't get his nose broken that year too?
Probably. What's funny about that particular year is if you were to look at some of the talent that was on that team, you wouldn't have thought they would be a 2-14 team. Maybe 8-8 just because of the QB situation, but the defense still had some players. Also, the offense still had several players.

Code:
	Offensive Starters
QB	Billy Joe Tolliver
QB	Cody Carlson
QB	Bucky Richardson
RB	Lorenzo White
RB	Gary Brown
WR	Ernest Givins
WR	Haywood Jeffires
WR	Webster Slaughter
TE	Pat Carter
LT	Brad Hopkins
LG	John Flannery
C	Bruce Matthews*
RG	Kevin Donnalley
RG	Erik Norgard
RT	David W. Williams
	Defensive Starters
LDE	Kenny Davidson
LDT	Ray Childress
RDT	Glenn Montgomery
RDE	Lamar Lathon
LLB	Eddie Robinson
MLB	Al Smith
RLB	Michael Barrow
LCB	Cris Dishman
RCB	Darryll Lewis
SS	Blaine Bishop
FS	Marcus Robertson
Just goes to Show that they opened up a big can of quit.
Old 08-24-2009   #116
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
We also had Erv Eatman, Kevin Donnalley, and Bruce Matthews....the line was fine. Looks like Blazing Arrow needs to bone up on his Oiler/Titan lore. Billy Joe was getting killed because he sucked, not because the line had issues.

Old 08-24-2009   #117
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
We also had Erv Eatman, Kevin Donnalley, and Bruce Matthews....the line was fine. Looks like Blazing Arrow needs to bone up on his Oiler/Titan lore. Billy Joe was getting killed because he sucked, not because the line had issues.
Just posted the roster from that year. The defense was still pretty much in tact.
Old 08-24-2009   #118
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I just did some research...Eatman didn't play here till 1995, but the other guys listed were pretty darn good football players.

Old 08-24-2009   #119
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I just did some research...Eatman didn't play here till 1995, but the other guys listed were pretty darn good football players.
In retrospect, it wasn' nearly as bad as I thought. I seemed to have remembered a bunch of injuries on that defense, but as it turned out, Blaine Bishop only missed 3 games, Glenn Montgomery 2 and Lamar Lathon, Eddie Robinson and Darryll Lewis each only missed 1. That's really not that many for a team that went 2-14.
Old 08-24-2009   #120
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Quote:
From the December 7th, 1994 Victoria Advocate

Quote:
But Cody Carlson, Billy Joe Tolliver and Bucky Richardson have already been squashed 53 times.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5287,1358377

I would say even with the names on that list the protection was pretty mediocre at best. And Carlson was the one with the broken nose. I knew it was one of the QB that season. He was the walking dead before the nose break then that just sealed it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read