Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2009   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SR610: Cato June has broken his forearm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Is it a bad sign or does it not matter that Cushing has a giant bag of ice on his knee a week after the injury?
I ice my shoulders when I work out and they haven't been seriously injured for a few years now.

I wouldn't worry about this. He probably just did some rehab and had to ice afterwards.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #42
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think he absolutely needs a few reps. He needs to get used to the speed and get involved with the defense during true game situations before the real bullets begin to fly.

If it's that big of a risk to play a rookie in a preseason game then he ain't worth taking a chance on, right?
Right but Cushing only knows one speed and I fear he'll go too hard, he's never going to take it easy on himself. I understand him getting comfortable with the speed of the game but we wouldn't have drafted him if we thought he wouldn't be ready for it. To flip your question the other way, if the speed of the game is too much or overwhelming for Cushing then he aint worth taking a chance on right? I think he'll be ready for it, its the mental side that I think Cushing should be working on until week 1.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #43
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak said Cushing was a definite no for the Saints so I wouldn't be worrying about him yet. Honestly, I've wondered if this injury was the kind that a tough-guy of Cushing's reputation would play through? Doesn't matter but I'd like to see him in one of the last two preseason games for sure.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #44
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Is it a bad sign or does it not matter that Cushing has a giant bag of ice on his knee a week after the injury?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
It is normal to ice down after working an injury out. Once the ice down was done he looked fine walking around.

I would assume they begin to slowly work him back in early next week. I hope he can play a little against the Vikes, but won't be upset if we hold him out. I'd like to see him get a few reps in at least one of the last 2 preseason games. We'll see
From Kubiak on Cushing:

Quote:
(on LB Brian Cushing) "You know what, he's doing really well. He ran yesterday a little bit, I don't know if y'all have watched him. It's my understanding he ran a little bit today. He's on schedule; we don't have any doubts that he'll be ready to go opening week. Do we play him in the preseason next week or Tampa Bay? I think that's still up in the air. Our target date is to make sure he's ready to go against the Jets."
An ice down after a run is wise

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5484
Old 08-20-2009   #45
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

So I know I've seen players play with a cast on their arm. Is this a break that June can play with a cast?

If not, how much time could we be looking at?
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #46
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 175288 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw this man play with a cast on each arm. But this man, Larry Wilson, is in the HoF.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #47
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride View Post
So I know I've seen players play with a cast on their arm. Is this a break that June can play with a cast?

I heard on the radio earlier that the initial timetable is 6-8 weeks.

Wouldn't surprise me if they cut him and do an injury settlement though, since he was already on the bubble to begin with.

I hate to lose quality depth. Damn.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #48
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I saw this man play with a cast on each arm. But this man, Larry Wilson, is in the HoF.
Larry Wilson was the God of Safeties before Ronnie Lott.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #49
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 175288 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Larry Wilson was the God of Safeties before Ronnie Lott.
Indeed.
52 career INTs. Not bad for a 7th rd pick
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #50
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride View Post

Shaun Alexander played with a cast in 2005. Unfortunately for anyone who drafted him in fantasy, he didn't produce much more yardage than if he sat on the bench.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #51
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Indeed.
52 career INTs. Not bad for a 7th rd pick
7nd rounder... what a bust

On June, a broken arm is nothing, recovery is fairly fast and no crap once it's healed.
Old 08-21-2009   #52
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on Kubiak's tone after practice, I'd say he's done. I hoped he'd get cut because it would have suggested that our LB core is solid. I didn't want it on the cheap like this. But I think he's not much of a loss.

Buster looked quick on ST. For what it's worth.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #53
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 18204 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Anybody knows the extent of the injury?
Extent enough for surgery for a plate to be put it - he posted on his twitter that surgery was a success.

I want to say thank you to everyone that showed support and said prayers! Surgery was a success and I'll be back in business soon!
about 9 hours ago from TwitterFon

Tough day today.. Broke my forearm.. Going into surgery later this afternoon to get a plate put in.. A setback is a setup to comeback!!
about 21 hours ago from TwitterFon
Old 08-21-2009   #54
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Out 6-8 weeks

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5482
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It sounds like Cato's fracture included both bones of the forearm (ulna and radius), which is a common combination from a direct blow to the forearm in football. When both of the bones are broken along their shaft, the various muscles groups attached to them will spasm/contract in response to the injury and pain. This creates constant differential torquing stresses and variable movement of the bone segments. This combo fracture almost always requires surgery in an adult, since without surgery, the forearm is generally unstable and there is no ability to cast this type of fracture in a proper orientation.

These type of forearm fractures are most commonly treated by placing a metal plate and screws on both the radius and ulna bones. Some surgeons will use a rod within the bone to maintain the position of the bone, but this can't be done in fractures where rotational stability is an issue. Therefore, most both bones forearm fractures are treated with a plate and screws. This approach also allows quicker football ready return since you are not relying only on bone strength through natural healing. If the aforementioned scenario is indeed the case, true "football ready" rather than just being able to begin testing the arm, hopefully will be 6-8 weeks.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read