Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-24-2009   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans camp profile: July 23 (AFC South blog)

Here's yesterday's AFC South Blog (Texans camp) by Kuharsky.

Not much there, at least in the area of "new" information.

But it's something on the Texans.

Quote:
The safety position remains an issue, with Nick Ferguson and Eugene Wilson in line to start now. But the team will allow for the possibility of Dominique Barber to nudge his way into the lineup.
Old 07-24-2009   #2
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans camp profile: July 23 (AFC South blog)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharsky
Still, Gary Kubiak's talked about how players can learn how to stay on the field, and he needs his signal-caller to do that.
Is Kubiak saying something about Matt Schaub? I think he is if this statement is true. It brings me back to the Allen hits.

There are going to be some silly hits that just gets someone good. The problem with those hits is that they're a part of the game. One needs to bounce back up. By that, I mean by learning to relax when they get hit. Playing football is about making plays but it's also about allowing yourself to get tackled properly. Especially QBs who are the prime targets of 300+ lb monsters. Don't watch the ball sail down the field patting yourself on a ball well thrown. Turn your head. I'm referring to the Cromartie hit in San Diego. Playing QB in the NFL is the equilvant of teens jumping out of a moving car. Some kids are natural rollers. Others... well they get mangled. How is this teachable though? I don't know if it's really coachable. You either got it or you don't.

I see we've made another pick up for the RBs. Camp fodder I'm sure. Clifton Dawson. I like the shift in picking up Colts players. We need all their gamebook experience. Anything to help us defeat the Colts twice.

I enjoyed the article. This is going be our year.
Old 07-24-2009   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the minute you relax is when you put yourself @ risk. more like play through the whistle, protect yourself @ all times & always be aware of your surroundings....kinda like a pub crawl....
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
the minute you relax is when you put yourself @ risk. more like play through the whistle, protect yourself @ all times & always be aware of your surroundings....kinda like a pub crawl....
Maybe I used a poor word but playing stiff is what gets you hurt. Especially if you're looking downfield the whole time. Limber? Could that be a better word?
Old 07-24-2009   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Do they ever consider teaching Judo for football players?

I heard that a National Champion in Judo was a former Minnesota football player.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Do they ever consider teaching Judo for football players?

I heard that a National Champion in Judo was a former Minnesota football player.
Our new S&C guy uses judo and yoga in his routines from what I've heard.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #7
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Turn your head. I'm referring to the Cromartie hit in San Diego.
You mean the Florence hit. Cromartie is the one that picked it off though.
Old 07-24-2009   #8
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
You mean the Florence hit. Cromartie is the one that picked it off though.
You're absolutely correct. Drayton Florence.
Old 07-24-2009   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

What you guys are saying is exactly one of the things, if not the chief issue, of why I was such a big critic of Schaub.

He wasn't aware of the space around him during the pass plays, and he got rolled a few times when he needed to have better footwork and be ready to side-step, or bounce forward or backward according to where the pile of linemen was headed. And it was even worse when he scrambled and headed up the field...it was pretty much a guaranteed strip of the ball from behind. I got ragged for that pretty hard, but you guys are echoing what I have said for a long time: His awareness & footwork was suspect, and it got him hurt (IMO).

I used the word "was" because there was a point in last season when you could tell that he was doing a better job of staying out of trouble. I think the Green Bay game and the 2nd Titans game were two of the games that I remember him moving around in the pocket a lot better. He was also throwing the ball away instead of trying to hang in there and make things happen. Which saved his body, and also protected against interceptions.

That's why I think this team made a jump in the middle of the season. The Great Sage Proposal was finally settled in the eyes of the team, Matt started doing the job of a true starting QB, and Kubiak and F. Bush began handcuffing Richard Smith. It was a stimulus package that actually worked.

It was a cumulative effect: The team rallied behind the starter, the defense was able to actually play instead of "read-n-react," and this provided momentum for the whole team.
Old 07-24-2009   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

It's called situational awareness and it's a MUST for NFL QB's. The great ones are naturals and make the small moves in the pocket to avoid a sack. Manning is exceptional at it. How many near-sacks has he turned into + yards by a small step in the proper direction? Schaub has gotten better at it. I think he will continue to get better as he gains more experience. Part of it is the game slowing down for him as he gets more time on the field.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #11
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It's called situational awareness and it's a MUST for NFL QB's. The great ones are naturals and make the small moves in the pocket to avoid a sack. Manning is exceptional at it. How many near-sacks has he turned into + yards by a small step in the proper direction? Schaub has gotten better at it. I think he will continue to get better as he gains more experience. Part of it is the game slowing down for him as he gets more time on the field.
Sure but I think Schaub is excellent at getting the ball out of his hands before getting sacked or has enough awareness to throw the ball away. It's the after fact that he's having issues with.
Old 07-24-2009   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post

Schaub will never be exceptional at it because of a somewhat elongated release. Guys like Manning and Marino have very quick releases that enable them to do special things in the pocket. That said, Schaub definitely improved in the second half of the season and I think he'll be a top 10 QB in the NFL the next few seasons, at least.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember during the Titans game he was constantly getting nailed and making it a point to pop up quickly to show that he wasn't shaken. Even when he was clearly feeling it when he was laying on the ground. I agree that he'll get better over time. Otherwise he'll get used to it hurting.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Maybe I used a poor word but playing stiff is what gets you hurt. Especially if you're looking downfield the whole time. Limber? Could that be a better word?
Same reason that drunks tend to sustain lesser injuries in severe auto accidents than their sober counterparts.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read