Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-02-2009   #1
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Top 5 MLB's currently in the NFL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Bucky Brooks shows a lot of love for DeMeco naming him the 2nd best MLB in the league only below Patrick Willis.

Quote:
The Texans' unheralded star is widely regarded as one of the top players at the position because of his exceptional skills and playmaking ability. Ryans instinctively flows to the ball and acts as the designated hitter in the team's resurgent defense. Though his game lacks the sizzles of some of his counterparts, Ryan's consistency and production garners rave reviews from coaches and scouts throughout the league.
Nothing new really that us Texans fans don't already know, but it is good to hear some love for our players.

Also can we get him a contract extension now?

Sheesh....
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #2
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 5 MLB's currently in the NFL

im optimistic but "resurgent"? a little premature don't you think?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #3
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, but I think Ryans is getting a little overrated
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Coming off an injury riddled season where DeMeco didn't get named to even the pro bowl i'd have to say he is being overrated here. Sure he played injured, but he didn't play like a top 5 MLB last season, much less the # 2.
Old 07-03-2009   #5
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

His cousin Brittany Ryans just left my store. The last time she was in here I asked her if knew Demeco Ryans and she said yes. I asked if she was kin to him and she is his 2nd cousin. Well she was just in here and I asked if she was gonna see him this weekend and she said no. I asked if they were close and she said no. Said the last time she saw him was 2 months ago. I told him to go call her and tell him to sign a contract already....
Old 07-03-2009   #6
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, the top five MLBs are as follows:

1.) Ray Lewis - Still commands respect from opposing offenses and linemen have to know where he is on the field in case he decides to blitz. Not to mention, an outstanding leader and General of the Defense.

2.) Patrick Willis - Has the stats and is consistent in tackles. One of the leagues true All-Stars at his position.

3.) Jon Beason - An up and comming star who is becoming the leader of his defense.

4.) DeMeco Ryans - Stats wise he has regressed but he is a leader and is still an impact player who is respected around the league.

5.) James Farrior - Good, all around LB who is still contributing to his defense even with so many star players surrounding him.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Everytime I see Ryans name, Willis' name is right there too and it makes me cringe at the 2007 Draft.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2009   #8
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Everytime I see Ryans name, Willis' name is right there too and it makes me cringe at the 2007 Draft.
Give Okoye a break, yeah it sucks right now but lets look back at this in 5 years...furthermore if were talking about "needs" I'd put DT way ahead of LB right now and Amobi appears to be our only one with any upside
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

It seems like "the talking heads" opinion on the 06 draft came a year too early. They claimed that while Mario was good he is not the "all star" like Vince Young or Reggie Bush and he will never have their ceiling.

Yet after the 07 draft the Texans were generally praised for making the right call. But in hindsight we left an "all star" like Patrick Willis and a potential "all star" in Darelle Revis on the board. I still have hope that Okoye will turn out to be a good DT but I cant help but think he will never be the impact player Patrick Willis or Darelle Revis could've been for us. With the way those two are playing we're gonna need Okoye to become the 2nd coming of Warren Sapp or we're constantly going to be looking back at the 07 1st round pick as a "what if..." pick.
Old 07-03-2009   #10
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
It seems like "the talking heads" opinion on the 06 draft came a year too early. They claimed that while Mario was good he is not the "all star" like Vince Young or Reggie Bush and he will never have their ceiling.

Yet after the 07 draft the Texans were generally praised for making the right call. But in hindsight we left an "all star" like Patrick Willis and a potential "all star" in Darelle Revis on the board. I still have hope that Okoye will turn out to be a good DT but I cant help but think he will never be the impact player Patrick Willis or Darelle Revis could've been for us. With the way those two are playing we're gonna need Okoye to become the 2nd coming of Warren Sapp or we're constantly going to be looking back at the 07 1st round pick as a "what if..." pick.
Revis and Willis are great players right now yes, and Okoye is not. But what if Amobi gets 40 something tackles 5-6 sacks and is a force this year? Heck he got 5.5 sacks his rookie season. I know he was bad last year but this guy is not Travis Johnson. He will be a player in this league.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #11
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

The reasons he gave for why Ryans is his #2 pick is why I think he belongs in the #6-10 range. He's a solid consistent player, but not a dangerous play maker, or elite linebacker.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Sure, if you are just evaluating MLBs from the 2008 season. If you take a 3 year analysis, there's no question that Ryans is top 5. DeMeco was playing hurt last season. And probably playing too heavy. With a new strength coach, as well as a new DC, I fully expect Ryans level of play to match his '06-'07 production. If the Texans do improve to become a good defense in 2009, a big reason will be DeMeco Ryans.
Old 07-04-2009   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Sure, if you are just evaluating MLBs from the 2008 season. If you take a 3 year analysis, there's no question that Ryans is top 5. DeMeco was playing hurt last season. And probably playing too heavy. With a new strength coach, as well as a new DC, I fully expect Ryans level of play to match his '06-'07 production. If the Texans do improve to become a good defense in 2009, a big reason will be DeMeco Ryans.
I concur....Ryans was slow to the ball when he was playing hurt but you could still see him flash. If the Texans didn't have such ROTTEN DT play last year it wouldn't have been as noticeable (ie the team D was really awful unless Ryans is at the top of his game). Ryans could start on just about every single NFL team if healthy.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Leadership cannot be denied, stats have to be taken in context with associated defensive groups around him like the DL ability in run support, penetration & QB hurries/sacks as well as the DB's give/takeaway & their run support numbers. Trying to assess individual awards within the context of team achievement, after all the numbers are digested is how well he improves those around him, his flashes of closing/finishing speed & ability to takeaway from the offense its primary weapons. I love that aspect of DeMeco which allows him to take under his wing a potentially great young player to work & help develop him to achieve great things. the fact he works well with lesser talent like Adibi/Diles so that they have the opportunity to shine on the field also is an example of his leadership & mentoring ability.

Franchise commitment and/or ability to commit defenseively has been lacking here in Houston. The mindset Patrick Willis gets from his coach Mike Singletary has not & never has existed with the Texans, alot of those numbers Willis achieves is at least indirectly realted to his environment, leadership, passion & mentoring going on from Mike. DeMeco has taken it upon himself to led by example in the past now it would seem with Bush (former LB like Singletary) entrenched along with new assistant support he will not be alone, so look not as much at individual numbers as much as team improvement amonst the entire LB group.

As the Texans become a Top 5 Defensive Team rest assured DeMeco Ryans will be right there in the middle not just as a stop gap but as director of on the field operations, thats his true value & why he is worthy of consideration

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

I caption this pic:

June 2008: It is announced Richard Smith has kept his job as Texans DC
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we added plenty of size to the LBs with Cushing and would like to see DR drop a few to 10 lbs. I know he was hurt but he just looked overweight and a step slow. Let Cushing be the monster, keep Demeco as the all around (hopefully the weight loss and health give him a step back), hope Adibi develops his playmaking with INTs and sacks. That's how I see it anyway.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully with D-Ryans dropping a few lbs thet he added last year will help him in the passing game this season. His pass coverage seems to be his weakest skill at the moment. IMO, he should not have been a 3 down LB last season, but I'm more than willing to see how a leaner D-Ryans pans out.

I love his game, but don't think it's worthy of top 5 in the League until he can improve in coverage.
Old 07-06-2009   #18
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

I just got through scrolling through you guys' posts, and I have to say that most of you are crazy for underrating DeMeco. He got absolutely not production from his DTs for most of the season AND played hurt and still was a very superb and solid playmaker. I just find it funny that we as Texans fans are saying he's a tad overrated when the rest of the country obviously doesn't. Here's what Rod Woodson thinks:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...le-Linebackers

And please stop the garbage about Jon Beason being better than DeMeco. That's total nonsense. Beason is a solid player, but he's not as good as DeMeco.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read