Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-01-2009   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson v. Larry Fitzgerald - ESPN Scout Addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
For every 1 of those plays AJ makes Fitz makes 2.
The only point I would make there is the QB plays a role in that as well. But generally I would agree Fitz is more notable for that.
Old 07-01-2009   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The only point I would make there is the QB plays a role in that as well. But generally I would agree Fitz is more notable for that.
Put Boldin across from AJ and I bet he makes more plays also. You can't double everyone, all the time.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Put Boldin across from AJ and I bet he makes more plays also. You can't double everyone, all the time.
Well, what I was about was some QB's intentionally tossing the ball up for grabs. Back in that big Carr/Vikings game it looked like he was tossing up jump balls for AJ all day long. Of course then he never did it again so he was probably just off target in a lucky way. Your point certainly contributes as well.
Old 07-01-2009   #24
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags View Post
I'm of the mind that you cant go wring with either of them.

Flip a coin.

1a and 1b.

Every other team in the league would go crazy to get either of them.
I agree 100% on this one and what makes it more difficult to decide is that neither one would toot their own horn. The are classy on and off the field. In a position that is dominated by primadonnas it is so refreshing to have two of the best being such great guys. It makes it really hard to pick.
Watch out for Calvin Johnson...he is good and going to be better than both (I think) and Cj is also a good guy too.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #25
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
I agree 100% on this one and what makes it more difficult to decide is that neither one would toot their own horn. The are classy on and off the field. In a position that is dominated by primadonnas it is so refreshing to have two of the best being such great guys. It makes it really hard to pick.
Watch out for Calvin Johnson...he is good and going to be better than both (I think) and Cj is also a good guy too.
I agree with you here. Personally I think Calvin Johnson will be better than all of them once he gets the right QB that can get him the ball enough. Calvin's height and ability to go get a ball is about as good as Moss but he's got the strength of Andre Johnson and even longer arms but also has the speed.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #26
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a nice little highlight reel from last year, doesn't have that tough 4th down grab against the Dolphins in it but shows some catches in traffic and show off some of his explosiveness. And I was wrong in my earlier post, it was the Bears game not the Bengals game where he drug the defenders into the enzone with him showing off his power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JRR3htV5rA
Old 07-01-2009   #27
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I agree somewhat, but that's just it, i think it works the opposite way with Fitz & Boldin. Boldin's a helluva WR, but alot of what he gets is largely due to Fitz drawing the double & i think that's somewhat playing into why Arizona isn't budging with him as far as his contract dispute is concerned i.e. they feel like he can be replaced. On the occasion Warner throws it up or deep to him, is there any doubt to who's gonna come down with it regardless of the coverage. He's about as automatic as it gets in those situations.

AJ's a special player in his own right though. someone had it right, 1a & 1b imo.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #28
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I agree with you here. Personally I think Calvin Johnson will be better than all of them once he gets the right QB that can get him the ball enough. Calvin's height and ability to go get a ball is about as good as Moss but he's got the strength of Andre Johnson and even longer arms but also has the speed.
That dude...if he ever realizes his potential & can stay healthy....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009   #29
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree somewhat, but that's just it, i think it works the opposite way with Fitz & Boldin. Boldin's a helluva WR, but alot of what he gets is largely due to Fitz drawing the double...
Boldin was productive prior to Fitz coming on the scene. I don't think there's any question that Boldin and Fitzgerald help each other. Or that they couldn't be successful without each other.

What does it matter which WR is better? Any team would be lucky to have a super talented, blue collar receiver such as Johnson or Fitzgerald. I think if the Lions get decent QB play this season, Calvin Johnson will be in that mix. He's sort of a combo Johnson/Fitzgerald in that he has the size, explosiveness, and leaping ability. Calvin Johnson is the reason I predict Matthew Stafford will be a Pro Bowl QB in 2010.
Old 07-04-2009   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree somewhat, but that's just it, i think it works the opposite way with Fitz & Boldin. Boldin's a helluva WR, but alot of what he gets is largely due to Fitz drawing the double & i think that's somewhat playing into why Arizona isn't budging with him as far as his contract dispute is concerned i.e. they feel like he can be replaced. On the occasion Warner throws it up or deep to him, is there any doubt to who's gonna come down with it regardless of the coverage. He's about as automatic as it gets in those situations.

AJ's a special player in his own right though. someone had it right, 1a & 1b imo.
Boldin is a fabulous wr and incredible in the open field and you must not remember how productive he was without Fitz. They have different skills, but both are dangerous. Boldin is better than both aj and fitz with the ball in his hands.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009   #31
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I'm just happy we have one of them both are HOF to be and in the next year or two CJ will be added to the mix.
Old 07-04-2009   #32
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I always hear people talk about the amazing catches Fitz makes over defenders, but they always forget why he has to make those circus catches. He's not open.

When AJ decides to get open there's not a lot that 99% of the defenders in this league can do about it.

Defenses can try to cover Fitz, they can only hope to contain AJ.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009   #33
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what the hell is this?...The hallmark of Fitzgerald's game is that he's got that freakishly uncanny ability to go up, get the ball at it's highest point & bring it down over defender(s)........... & all hands at that. His speed is also underrated; he's improved that since he's been n the league That was never more apparent than this past postseason when he pulled off on Polamalu & Townsend for that TD in the superbowl. AJ's a beast but Fitz does have the slight edge & it has next to nothing to do with exposure for me.
I agree that Fitz is the best in the league at going up and getting the ball at it'a highest point, but AJ is better at getting YAC imo. So it's a wash if you ask me.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read