Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2009   #21
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Not Just BookEnds........Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
That's pretty much my take on it, my beef is the cost ? I dunno, why do we have to shell out a 35 million dollar contract to get what is basically a DLine runstopper ?
Why do you care what he costs? As a fan, your only concern should be the cap ramifications. His contract is pretty cap friendly so I'm not sure why you would have a problem with it.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #22
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think Smith will make us tougher against the run in our conventional sets but I'm not so sure he makes us any better as a team when it comes to rushing the passer although a ham sandwich would likely create more pressure than Anthony Weaver ever did.
After the signing, I went to NFL.com/gamerewind and watched some Arizona games with Smith as a focus. From what I saw, he looked like a solid strong side DE and a fairly dynamic pass rushing DT. I think his presence inside on passing downs will be beneficial, for sure. Also, they ran a ton of stunts and he seemed pretty adept at it. Often, it was clearly his job to take on blockers in order to free up one of the jokers or Dockery. He seemed very willing to do that job as well. And, even when taking on the two guys, he'd continue to fight and pursue the play. In the end, while he's certainly not an elite talent, he could certainly be a significant piece of a good DL.

By the way, I like his signing even more after the Connor Barwin draft pick. We may actually, finally have a quality, situational DL rotation this year.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #23
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Smith will make us tougher against the run in our conventional sets but I'm not so sure he makes us any better as a team when it comes to rushing the passer although a ham sandwich would likely create more pressure than Anthony Weaver ever did.
I see it this way as well. Imagine if Mario gets hurt, than we would have really been screwed against the run. Smith can start but also be a backup to Mario. It just adds depth to the team. I would be alot less excited about the A. Smith pickup if we had not drafted a pass rusher in the draft but we did so I am very excited about the group now.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #24
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Exactly! The key to this signing will be Smith's ability (or inability) to pressure the QB on run downs. Teams that can pressure the QB by collapsing the pocket, without leaving themselves vulnerable to the run, are at an advantage. If he can play the 5 technique on the strong side and collapse that RT or force the TE to stay in and help block, we are going to be a pretty good defensive team.
Yep. If he can prevent a roll out or keep a QB from sliding over in the pocket, we are a better Defense. People could slide to Weavers side too much, preventing Mario from getting a good rush.
Old 05-29-2009   #25
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See, I think it's the other way around.

According to LZ, his run defense is overrated. So, I think he'll help us less in the run game (than we should/do expect,) but be a hell of an asset inside on third downs.

He's not the outside threat that most of us wanted at the beginning of the offseason, but if he can come in and provide that inside push we all expected from Amobi, he's doing the job.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I could see him eventually taking over at the 3-tech if the perfect storm happens and he's as good as advertised on the inside, Amobi continues being Amobi, and Barwin progresses.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #26
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

This reminds of another great set of Twins

I hope Smith can make a diference in at least one game this year, directly or indirectly.
Old 05-29-2009   #27
sbalderrama

What we really need is for Okam to channel his inner Haynesworth. Then the line would be killer. I like the Smith addition, he's certainly going to be an improvement over previous years. I'm looking forward to seeing what the line can do this year, especially if we can get better play from the tackles.
Old 05-29-2009   #28
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalderrama View Post
What we really need is for Okam to channel his inner Haynesworth. Then the line would be killer. I like the Smith addition, he's certainly going to be an improvement over previous years. I'm looking forward to seeing what the line can do this year, especially if we can get better play from the tackles.
I'd be surprised if Okam is a Texan in September.

I'd be shocked if Okam was a Texan in September '10.
Old 05-29-2009   #29
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

If Okoye makes the jump we need him to make everyone on the DL looks good and we'll be in the playoffs this season. He's the X factor for our defense. We know what we've got in Mario and DeMeco but if Okoye doesn't make that jump in performance we're gonna need Smith and Barwin plus a rookie DB and Cushing to exceed expectations for us to have any shot at the playoffs.
Old 05-29-2009   #30
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
If Okoye makes the jump we need him to make everyone on the DL looks good and we'll be in the playoffs this season. He's the X factor for our defense. We know what we've got in Mario and DeMeco but if Okoye doesn't make that jump in performance we're gonna need Smith and Barwin plus a rookie DB and Cushing to exceed expectations for us to have any shot at the playoffs.
QFT. Great post.

I agree completely if Okoye steps up his game then this DL can take off. I feel confident we'll get good production from Smith, but it al lrests on Okoye. Though I admit a Frank Okam sighting would bode well. I'm interested in seeing more of Robinson as well.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
QFT. Great post.

I agree completely if Okoye steps up his game then this DL can take off. I feel confident we'll get good production from Smith, but it al lrests on Okoye. Though I admit a Frank Okam sighting would bode well. I'm interested in seeing more of Robinson as well.
It's beginning to bother me that the only "official" comments we have gotten thus far re. Okoye is that he needs to step it up big time from last year.................and, as far as Okam, there are no official comments at all.

I'll see if I can come up with anything.............

.....................if so, I'll get right back to y"all.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 05-29-2009 at 08:42 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
That's pretty much my take on it, my beef is the cost ? I dunno, why do we have to shell out a 35 million dollar contract to get what is basically a DLine runstopper ?
I guess I don't understand your misgivings...
According to USAToday, only 12.5M of that $35M is guaranteed - $12.5/5 yrs isn't too extravagant for a starting DE/DT ...is it?

did you want to stand pat and roll with Bulman as the starter or see what Glover he brings to the table?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #33
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
According to USAToday, only 12.5M of that $35M is guaranteed - $12.5/5 yrs isn't too extravagant for a starting DE/DT ...is it?

did you want to stand pat and roll with Bulman as the starter or see what Glover he brings to the table?
That's not how it works at all.

The "guaranteed money" is the money that he gets if he never plays a down for the Texans. If he plays his first year with the Texans he gets that first year's salary plus the "guaranteed money," if he plays the second year he gets the first year's plus the second year's plus the "guaranteed money," etc.

If he plays all five years, the entire $35M is "guaranteed."
Old 05-29-2009   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 189115 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Only $12.5 million is guaranteed, that is correct. But if Smith were to play the entire 5 seasons under this contract, he would earn $35 million. Smith has already pocketed $12.5 million before playing a down for the Texans.

From Mike Florio of PFT via NBC Sports:

Quote:
Smith, a part-time starter in Arizona, will earn $15.5 million in the first year, $19.4 million in the first two years, and $24 million over the first three.
So Smith is going to get paid. A lot. Which is OK, that's the price of playing FA poker. And I would much rather give the money to Smith than waste another dime on Anthony Weaver. The Texans have had some bad free agent busts over their short history. Weaver, IMO, was hands down the biggest one of all.
Old 05-30-2009   #35
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'll look forward to seeing him at TC this year. The first time I met MW I was speachless. I'm between 6'5"-6'6" at 245lbs and standing there with him after shaking his hand I was totally astonished at the size of the dude. The guy's a physical freak of nature and I'd be quite surprised if I ever meet another player that could compare to his stature.

*No, I am not ghey. Thank you*

Really? Is that even neccesarry? What decade is this? What grade are we in here?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #36
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Really? Is that even neccesarry? What decade is this? What grade are we in here?

All he said was he wasn't a homosexual after complimenting a guy's physical stature (and he did it in very small print which you had to "make it larger than life" and try to spin it into a political matter.)

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-30-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read