Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-28-2009   #21
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Article on Dan-O

From the Chron article: Orlovsky had offseason visits planned to Denver and Seattle, but the Texans never let him leave Houston without a deal to replace Sage Rosenfels. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said Orlovsky is similar to Schaub when it comes to arm strength, but he doesn’t have Schaub’s accuracy.

From the Hartford Courant article: He knew size and a cannon arm wouldn't be enough.

Okay, so if he's similar to Schaub in arm strength, I think its safe to say that we don't have a Jeff George / Browning Nagle cannon arm.....
Old 05-28-2009   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
From the Chron article: Orlovsky had offseason visits planned to Denver and Seattle, but the Texans never let him leave Houston without a deal to replace Sage Rosenfels. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said Orlovsky is similar to Schaub when it comes to arm strength, but he doesn’t have Schaub’s accuracy.

From the Hartford Courant article: He knew size and a cannon arm wouldn't be enough.

Okay, so if he's similar to Schaub in arm strength, I think its safe to say that we don't have a Jeff George / Browning Nagle cannon arm.....
I guess you and I interpret the "cannon arm" statement totally different. To me, it means that he acknowledges that he may have a "cannon arm," but realizes that it takes more than that to be successful in the NFL (as illustrated by the failed Jeff George experiment.) Personal observations tell me that Orlovsky does have arm strength that can be classified "cannon."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #23
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I guess you and I interpret the "cannon arm" statement totally different. To me, it means that he acknowledges that he may have a "cannon arm," but realizes that it takes more than that to be successful in the NFL (as illustrated by the failed Jeff George experiment.) Personal observations tell me that Orlovsky does have arm strength that can be classified "cannon."
No, I read what you are saying and I agree. Jeff George and Browning Nagle could both throw a ball through a brick wall but they're both out of the league. Dan-O realizes that, apparently and that's a good thing.

Where I'm hung up, though, is that lil' Shanny says that Orlovsky has a similar arm to Matt's. Matt does not have a cannon arm.

So what am I missing here? Does Matt have a cannon that I'm unaware of? Is Orlovsky's write-up in the Hartford Courant misleading?
Old 05-28-2009   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I did have my doubts on Orlovsky after the way he left Detroit, but the more I hear about him the more and more I like him. He looks like he knows his role here at the moment and is surely looking forward to winning a game soon lol. Seems like a kid that really just wants to play Quarterback in this league.
I am impressed with the players on the team. Veterans very willing to help newer guys and the younger guys seem willing to listen and learn. Do we even have a prima donna type on this squad?
Old 05-28-2009   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I read this and thought "Schaub too has a cannon type arm and is accurate and is seasoned at starter role." Uh, that sounds pretty good to me. Cannon arm but not as accurate? I thought he was describing Pastorinni for a minute. Everything seems to point to Matt being on field more this season and maybe an even better year. Hope the RB thinggy works to his advantage.
Old 05-28-2009   #26
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Orlovsky the first QB in the history of the NFL to step out of the back of the endzone while under pressure?

I understand it was a silly mistake, but I don't get why it continues to be a story. It was one play.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #27
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Is Orlovsky the first QB in the history of the NFL to step out of the back of the endzone while under pressure?

I understand it was a silly mistake, but I don't get why it continues to be a story. It was one play.
The talking heads of the media need something to grab onto to make fun of Detroit's season and the play was really bad since he was out by about 5 yards. Is it fair? NO but the new media is all about making fun of versus informing. Welcome to the Jim Rome/Chris Everette way of covering sports.
Old 05-28-2009   #28
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am impressed with the players on the team. Veterans very willing to help newer guys and the younger guys seem willing to listen and learn. Do we even have a prima donna type on this squad?

Yes they do, at least one. No need to do character assassination though, so I'll try to hold my tongue.
Old 05-28-2009   #29
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think Rosencopter gets way too much play here too. It was just one play, but it defines the man. Same thing I guess.
Old 05-28-2009   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, I read what you are saying and I agree. Jeff George and Browning Nagle could both throw a ball through a brick wall but they're both out of the league. Dan-O realizes that, apparently and that's a good thing.

Where I'm hung up, though, is that lil' Shanny says that Orlovsky has a similar arm to Matt's. Matt does not have a cannon arm.

So what am I missing here? Does Matt have a cannon that I'm unaware of? Is Orlovsky's write-up in the Hartford Courant misleading?
That's exactly why II originally posted that statement in bold. We're actually in total agreement. I DON'T feel Schaub has anywhere close to a "canon" for an arm.
Old 05-28-2009   #31
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Dunta Robinson?

Quote:

Well, I guess until he does something else for everyone to remember him by he's stuck with that particularly embarrasing display.

Oh, that something else damn sure needs to be something BETTER than stepping out of the endzone too....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #32
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Well, I guess until he does something else for everyone to remember him by he's stuck with that particularly embarrasing display.

Oh, that something else damn sure needs to be something BETTER than stepping out of the endzone too....
What about the 96 yard TD pass he threw from his own end zone to Calvin Johnson against the Texans?

But I get your point, he needs more success.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #33
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That's exactly why II originally posted that statement in bold. We're actually in total agreement. I DON'T feel Schaub has anywhere close to a "canon" for an arm.
Right.

So if Schaub doesn't have a cannon for an arm and lil Shanny says that Dan-O's arm is like Schaubs.....

then we don't have a 6'-5" laser rocket armed QB despite what the Hartford Courant says.

And, if anything, we have a backup with a "good but not great" arm with accuracy issues that stem from bad footwork?
Old 05-28-2009   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think Rosencopter gets way too much play here too. It was just one play, but it defines the man. Same thing I guess.
Big difference, IMO. I think Dan was trying to make a play in order to get his team out of a bad situation.

Rosencopter was trying to make a play for himself in order to better his situation.
Old 05-28-2009   #35
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Big difference, IMO. I think Dan was trying to make a play in order to get his team out of a bad situation.

Rosencopter was trying to make a play for himself in order to better his situation.
That is one viewpoint, and I personally give it about a 50% chance of being true. He might have put himself ahead of the team. However, I'm not a mind reader so I think there is another, equally likely, scenario.

Sage seems to be an all out, damn the torpedos type of player. Wasn't it him that amazed us all with his speed when he took off after a guy trying to return a field goal? He hustled to his own detriment that day. I think his approach to the game as I've described is evidenced by his periods of high productivity intermingled with bad play. In other words, I think he screwed up because that's how he is, not because of evil intent.

=======

All that being said, I'm surprised the upswell of "Dan O is great" isn't tempered somewhat by the Sage experience which started out much the same.
Old 05-28-2009   #36
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
That is one viewpoint, and I personally give it about a 50% chance of being true. He might have put himself ahead of the team. However, I'm not a mind reader so I think there is another, equally likely, scenario.

Sage seems to be an all out, damn the torpedos type of player. Wasn't it him that amazed us all with his speed when he took off after a guy trying to return a field goal? He hustled to his own detriment that day. I think his approach to the game as I've described is evidence by his periods of high productivity intermingled with bad play. In other words, I think he screwed up because that's how he is, not because of evil intent.

=======

All that being said, I'm surprised the upswell of "Dan O is great" isn't tempered somewhat by the Sage experience which started out much the same.
True, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. It just seemed selfish to me considering the game was well in hand. Plus, it wasn't just the copter play. There was also the 20 yard roll out to the left, stopping and getting the ball knocked out resulting in a TD.

I don't think you were referring to me about Dan O, but I think he's a project player for Kubiak. I think he obviously see a lot of upside in Dan considering his contract numbers. I'll take the "wait and see" on him too. Except hoping the "see" is in preseason only.
Old 05-28-2009   #37
Ckw

I really think the only reason Shanny said this was to give Schaub even more confidence. Just watch the games and you will see that Orlovsky has a much stronger arm than Schaub.
Old 05-28-2009   #38
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Right.

So if Schaub doesn't have a cannon for an arm and lil Shanny says that Dan-O's arm is like Schaubs.....

then we don't have a 6'-5" laser rocket armed QB despite what the Hartford Courant says.

And, if anything, we have a backup with a "good but not great" arm with accuracy issues that stem from bad footwork?
SI Draft Profile:
Quote:
BIO: Passing numbers included 63 percent/3,354/23/15 as a senior after 62.5 percent/3,485/33/14 the prior year. Totaled seven 300-yards games the past two seasons.

POSITIVES: Well-sized pocket passer with a big arm and solid intangibles. Sets up with solid footwork, displays good pocket stature and patiently waits for receivers to come open. Sells the ball fakes, possesses a quick release and zips the outs. Leads wideouts or hits them in stride over the middle and displays solid timing on the outs. Goes to the safety outlet if nothing is available downfield. Commands the offense and does not make poor choices. Senses the rush, stepping up to avoid defenders. Powers the ball over the middle and places it where only his receivers can make the reception.

NEGATIVES: Slow setting up in the pocket. Steps out of throws, which adversely affects his accuracy. Directs his passes and gets wild at times. Not always poised under pressure. Gathers before releasing the ball. Must improve his downfield accuracy. Performed poorly at the Senior Bowl and was worse at the Combine.

ANALYSIS: Productive throughout his college career, Orlovsky possesses the size, arm strength, and intangibles to develop into a starting quarterback at the next level. Needs to brush up the fundamentals and quickly get his game back on track. A solid late-round pick who can develop on a practice squad or in NFL Europe.

PROJECTION: Late Fifth Round
Most of his negatives can be attributed to poor foot work, which as previously stated, is what Kubiak has focused upon right off the bat.
Old 05-29-2009   #39
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

This morning on 610, I caught a segment where Brooke Bentley was reviewing OTAs. When the subject came up of Orlovsky, she said: "He's huge!........and, boy, what a big arm he has!"

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read