Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 05-26-2009   #41
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A sister update and thanks

Thank you. This is a mixed time for my family as we are very happy to be welcoming my sister's daughter into our home permanently. (Or as she put it when we told her the news a month ago, "You mean a permanent home?? Except for college!") She has been finishing up the school year in San Antonio with my parents and will be in town in time to meet her next year's teacher and classmates.

She is the same age as my son and has basically grown up in our house. She's a big time Texan fan--I've taken her to Texans practices in past summers.

You guys are the best. I'll let you know when I schedule the VIP tours.
Old 05-26-2009   #42
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Keep us all updated Steph.
Old 05-27-2009   #43
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just saw this and wanted to offer my condolences. I too, am an extreme hater of cancer. May she fly with the angels...
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #44
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

My apologies for not seeing this sooner.

Steph, my heart and thoughts go out to you in this time of sorrow.

Celebrate her life as it was and all she has given. The inspirations she has forged with her strength and will power will live on forever in you and all those that Debbie has touched.
Old 05-28-2009   #45
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry Steph. Best wishes from the Daniel family.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #46
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Steph,

I visited Debutaunt.com to see if your family had set up any sort of trust or fund in Deb's name. Have y'all and if so, where can I make a donation??

Old 05-28-2009   #47
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Steph,

I visited Debutaunt.com to see if your family had set up any sort of trust or fund in Deb's name. Have y'all and if so, where can I make a donation??

A family friend set up a college fund for Zoe. It was the thing that made her happiest in her last days. People can make PayPal contribution on her blog (the donation link is still good) or can send a contribution this way:

The Financial Advisory Group, Inc.; c/o David Jenkins; 5599 San Felipe, Suite 900; Houston, TX 77056. Please make out the checks to "College America" and in the memo field write "FBO: Zoe Costello."

When she knew she was going to die, Debby actually dictated a final blog post for me to post for her to give her blog some closure. It was hard for her because she couldn't write or talk at the end, so I had to read her lips and then read back what I wrote down. This morning, I finally typed up all the notes from the various times I sat with her. I can't say it was the easiest thing to do. I'm fixing to put it on her blog.

I haven't accessed her blog before, so I am hoping I don't crash the danged thing. Fortunately, I know the person who put her blog online and hosts it, so hopefully, I won't screw it up. It uses Moveable Type which is the same blog software as the Chronicle uses so at least I have that familiarity.

Here's a strange story. I use CNN.com as my home page mostly out of habit. The day Debby died, when I first went online, the front page article was all about what to do with your online life when you die--passwords, etc. Twilight zone. At least Deb made some preparations like that, but it has to be very hard when someone dies suddenly.

I don't pull the lawyer card unless I really have to, but I had to threaten to sue Blockbuster for them to stop charging my sister's account while she stuck in the ICU, not being able to watch videos any more. Most things have been pretty straightforward to handle, but Blockbuster was a bunch of jerks. They kept sending videos to my poor parents (who my sister was living with the last couple of years), and it upset them each time they arrived in the mail and we were having the hardest time stopping them.
Old 05-28-2009   #48
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
A family friend set up a college fund for Zoe. It was the thing that made her happiest in her last days. People can make PayPal contribution on her blog (the donation link is still good) or can send a contribution this way:

The Financial Advisory Group, Inc.; c/o David Jenkins; 5599 San Felipe, Suite 900; Houston, TX 77056. Please make out the checks to "College America" and in the memo field write "FBO: Zoe Costello."

When she knew she was going to die, Debby actually dictated a final blog post for me to post for her to give her blog some closure. It was hard for her because she couldn't write or talk at the end, so I had to read her lips and then read back what I wrote down. This morning, I finally typed up all the notes from the various times I sat with her. I can't say it was the easiest thing to do. I'm fixing to put it on her blog.

I haven't accessed her blog before, so I am hoping I don't crash the danged thing. Fortunately, I know the person who put her blog online and hosts it, so hopefully, I won't screw it up. It uses Moveable Type which is the same blog software as the Chronicle uses so at least I have that familiarity.

Here's a strange story. I use CNN.com as my home page mostly out of habit. The day Debby died, when I first went online, the front page article was all about what to do with your online life when you die--passwords, etc. Twilight zone. At least Deb made some preparations like that, but it has to be very hard when someone dies suddenly.

I don't pull the lawyer card unless I really have to, but I had to threaten to sue Blockbuster for them to stop charging my sister's account while she stuck in the ICU, not being able to watch videos any more. Most things have been pretty straightforward to handle, but Blockbuster was a bunch of jerks. They kept sending videos to my poor parents (who my sister was living with the last couple of years), and it upset them each time they arrived in the mail and we were having the hardest time stopping them.
I just donated. Not a big gift, but maybe it will buy Zoe a text book or two.

Let us know when you complete the Debby's final blog. Good luck in not screwing it up! J/K. You'll do just fine.

And finally, I am boycotting Blockbuster on Deb's (you and your folk's) behalf. Not that ~$25.00 a month means anything to them, but still.
Old 05-28-2009   #49
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I just donated. Not a big gift, but maybe it will buy Zoe a text book or two.

Let us know when you complete the Debby's final blog. Good luck in not screwing it up! J/K. You'll do just fine.

And finally, I am boycotting Blockbuster on Deb's (you and your folk's) behalf. Not that ~$25.00 a month means anything to them, but still.
As a tribute to the person or her family , I'll learn about them . I gotta tell you Bill , TC's sister could make you blush . I read about the Egyptian Doctor and cracked up . When Texans_Chic is ready to laugh ... I'll go on .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A number of you knew that my sister Debby was hospitalized since Thanksgiving of last year, with leukemia and the complications from treatment. She was awake and aware for most of that time, a person trapped in a body that was failing her.

Last Monday, she died peacefully and with friends. I wrote this Texans-oriented blog post about her, and you can read her obit here.

I'm am writing this here to thank a ton of you who know who you are who have given the both of us support. (BTW, don't PM me right now--I haven't sorted out my PM box lately and it is an almost full mess).

Later this season, I was hoping the Blue Crew and Raging Bulls could help me with something. Some of Debby's friends had a fundraiser for her that helped paid for some of her out of pocket medical expenses, her funeral and if any is left over, goes into her daughter's college fund. I auctioned off two VIP tours of the Texans tailgate (VIP ha! Meaning, hey, I'm wandering around the tailgates anyway, why not take someone around with me?). When I know what games they are coming to, I'll let you guys know and I'd like for y'all to give them the bestest that the Texans tailgates have to offer.

And thanks TexansTalk for being the best distraction out there. When I sat with my sister when she was sleeping, I would make a beeline here first. Texan fans are good peoples.

Steph, I just found this thread as I usually do not go in this section. You might be interested to know that your sister may be eligible for deceased Medicaid Insurance benefits that could pay hospital and doctor bills. Income to her home and resources are reviewed but not all are counted. Per your request I am not sending you pm but email me if I can assist. I pray God's love and blessings on you and your family.
Old 05-28-2009   #51
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Steph, I just found this thread as I usually do not go in this section. You might be interested to know that your sister may be eligible for deceased Medicaid Insurance benefits that could pay hospital and doctor bills. Income to her home and resources are reviewed but not all are counted. Per your request I am not sending you pm but email me if I can assist. I pray God's love and blessings on you and your family.
We looked to the medicaid route during her life, and strangely, they said she made too much money. I can't fathom that because she was unemployed and just had Social Security Disability which was immediately swallowed up in co-pays.

I believe all her debts died with her. She has no assets. She has no surviving spouse.

Here's her last blog post. I don't know about you reading it, but I've been crying like a baby putting all my transcripts of what she said together and typing it out That was hard.

Not Even Death Can Stop Deb From Having Her Say

She wanted to spread this on the internets to people who had been so helpful to her. She wanted to help them back. She loved my Texans Nation friends--she thought y'all were the best.
Old 05-28-2009   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We looked to the medicaid route during her life, and strangely, they said she made too much money. I can't fathom that because she was unemployed and just had Social Security Disability which was immediately swallowed up in co-pays.

I believe all her debts died with her. She has no assets. She has no surviving spouse.

Here's her last blog post. I don't know about you reading it, but I've been crying like a baby putting all my transcripts of what she said together and typing it out That was hard.

She wanted to spread this on the internets to people who had been so helpful to her. She wanted to help them back. She loved my Texans Nation friends--she thought y'all were the best.
All income is considered and SSD is considered "unearned" and only a $20 exception is allowed. The remainder must be below $674. The tears are good for you to release the pressure inside. My nephew committed suicide when he was 16 and his dad(brother next to me in age) died of lymphatic cancer August 11 1998 at 44. Mom preceded him July 4th same year stomach cancer. My son when he was 12 lost vision in his eye due to a BB gun shooting. Every day I help patients apply for Social Security Disability and many are dying or maybe wish they were. I cry a lot. Sorry my info did not help. This life is just a blink. Deb will live forever and you will see her again.
Old 05-28-2009   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Almost overlooked that her child may be eligible for survivor benefits. SSA can guide you. 1-800-772-1213.
Old 05-28-2009   #54
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
As a tribute to the person or her family , I'll learn about them . I gotta tell you Bill , TC's sister could make you blush . I read about the Egyptian Doctor and cracked up . When Texans_Chic is ready to laugh ... I'll go on .
She could make me blush too. I try not to look at those early blog posts. Let's just say that she was a lot less of a private person than I am.

She had some really really bad stuff happen to her, stuff that isn't in her blog. At one point in her life, before she got ill, she believed that no one would ever love her in the romantic, long lasting, mature, have a family, happily ever after way. She was told that she was ugly and nobody else would ever want to be with her.

So she decided to have an attitude about it to hide her hurt, and she settled for the life she thought she had to have. A lot of her early writing talks of that. That part is sad.
Old 05-28-2009   #55
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That must have been very hard to type. I can't imagine.

She makes some good points, though, and I'll chew on them this afternoon. I'm also going to send a check in to the Zoe fund. With three of my own, I can't afford to send much. But as a parent who would fret if I knew I wasn't going to be there for them as they grew, I can't afford not to.

God bless you and your family, Steph. Reading that page moved me to tears - I can't imagine what it was like for you.
Old 05-28-2009   #56
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
All income is considered and SSD is considered "unearned" and only a $20 exception is allowed. The remainder must be below $674. The tears are good for you to release the pressure inside. My nephew committed suicide when he was 16 and his dad(brother next to me in age) died of lymphatic cancer August 11 1998 at 44. Mom preceded him July 4th same year stomach cancer. My son when he was 12 lost vision in his eye due to a BB gun shooting. Every day I help patients apply for Social Security Disability and many are dying or maybe wish they were. I cry a lot. Sorry my info did not help. This life is just a blink. Deb will live forever and you will see her again.
I have to say that the SSD people very much expedited Deb's application when she was sick originally. I was proud that they said it was the best application they had ever received....I didn't know what I was doing but I knew she needed help pronto. The SSD people I worked with were among the most efficient people I have ever worked with.

It hurts to see how many people hurt.

Her daughter is going to receive the survivor benefits. That is already set up.
Old 05-28-2009   #57
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
She could make me blush too. I try not to look at those early blog posts. Let's just say that she was a lot less of a private person than I am.

She had some really really bad stuff happen to her, stuff that isn't in her blog. At one point in her life, before she got ill, she believed that no one would ever love her in the romantic, long lasting, mature, have a family, happily ever after way. She was told that she was ugly and nobody else would ever want to be with her.

So she decided to have an attitude about it to hide her hurt, and she settled for the life she thought she had to have. A lot of her early writing talks of that. That part is sad.
I have things I would love to forget or wished that would have never happened which , I believe keeps us reinventing ourselves . I do understand what your saying about how she was trying to get back what was taken from her .

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 05-28-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #58
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry for your loss, Steph. I wish I would've seen this sooner. Of course, if you need anything at all just let me know.

A good friend/co-worker of mine died of leukemia March 10th. They had thought is was gone and he returned to work, only to have it come back stronger than ever. He was only 24.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read