Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-29-2009   #21
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Z-Report Final Mock Draft and 1st and 2nd Round Targets

Good call, didn't remember who Buffalo took so didn't correctly score that one
Old 04-29-2009   #22
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a really, really impressive mock up to our pick. The only picks he missed were due to two discrete occurrences:

1. The Jets managing to trade up all the way from 17. How could anyone know that the Browns were willing to accept 30 cents on the dollar to trade down 12 spots? That pushed Raji out of the fifth pick to the ninth with Crabtree falling from the ninth to the tenth.

2. Lance, along with everyone else, underestimated the rank stupidity of the Broncos. Let's see, they have the league's worst defense and are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4, so they basically need a whole new group of defensive players. They have a huge glut of RBs because of the injury epidemic last year and their weird buying binge in free agency--so what do they do? Draft another RB with the 12th pick.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #23
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

All good 3-4 teams MUST have an outstanding nose tackle. They should've traded up for Raji. They had to have known he'd go early.
Old 04-29-2009   #24
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
That's a really, really impressive mock up to our pick. The only picks he missed were due to two discrete occurrences:

1. The Jets managing to trade up all the way from 17. How could anyone know that the Browns were willing to accept 30 cents on the dollar to trade down 12 spots? That pushed Raji out of the fifth pick to the ninth with Crabtree falling from the ninth to the tenth.

2. Lance, along with everyone else, underestimated the rank stupidity of the Broncos. Let's see, they have the league's worst defense and are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4, so they basically need a whole new group of defensive players. They have a huge glut of RBs because of the injury epidemic last year and their weird buying binge in free agency--so what do they do? Draft another RB with the 12th pick.
This is the way I think about it:

McDaniels was hired because of his ability to run an offense, so that is what he put a high priority on. If next season the Broncos are playing terrible offensively, than he is probably going to be looked at as a bit of a failure, even if the defense improves. He will most likely be judged by the play of his offense more than the defense.

If they are playing good offense next year, Denver will give McDaniels a bit more time than if they weren't. I can understand why McDaniels and his crew approached the draft as they did. They understand that you are judged very quickly in the NFL nowadays, and if you were brought in as an "offensive guru" than your offense better show some promise, or your out of there.

McDaniels obviously didn't like what they had at RB. A dangerous RB that can do it all is what his offensive scheme entails. That is what you get with Moreno. They lose nothing by cutting those other RBs. The only guy that really is worth keeping in his offensive scheme is Selvin Young.

Trading their 1st next year for Alphonso Smith may not be that bad of a decision. It isn't like McDaniels has Bill Bellichek job security. He may not even be able to use that draft pick next year, and Alphonso Smith is one hell of a football player.

I guess my point is that I don't think Denver was as crazy as everyone else thinks in this draft. Getting rid of Cutler is a different story, and honestly after making the mistake of going after Cassell, it didn't really look like they had any other choice.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
This is the way I think about it:

McDaniels was hired because of his ability to run an offense, so that is what he put a high priority on. If next season the Broncos are playing terrible offensively, than he is probably going to be looked at as a bit of a failure, even if the defense improves. He will most likely be judged by the play of his offense more than the defense.

If they are playing good offense next year, Denver will give McDaniels a bit more time than if they weren't. I can understand why McDaniels and his crew approached the draft as they did. They understand that you are judged very quickly in the NFL nowadays, and if you were brought in as an "offensive guru" than your offense better show some promise, or your out of there.

McDaniels obviously didn't like what they had at RB. A dangerous RB that can do it all is what his offensive scheme entails. That is what you get with Moreno. They lose nothing by cutting those other RBs. The only guy that really is worth keeping in his offensive scheme is Selvin Young.

Trading their 1st next year for Alphonso Smith may not be that bad of a decision. It isn't like McDaniels has Bill Bellichek job security. He may not even be able to use that draft pick next year, and Alphonso Smith is one hell of a football player.

I guess my point is that I don't think Denver was as crazy as everyone else thinks in this draft. Getting rid of Cutler is a different story, and honestly after making the mistake of going after Cassell, it didn't really look like they had any other choice.
You know what they say , no guts no glory . He went all in on the first hand .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #26
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
You know what they say , no guts no glory . He went all in on the first hand .
You have to admire the willingness to take a chance. I'd rather have that guy than the guy who tries to play it safe all the time.
Old 04-29-2009   #27
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You have to admire the willingness to take a chance. I'd rather have that guy than the guy who tries to play it safe all the time.
Somewhat , I'm not sure I piss off my 25 year old pro bowl QB . I think that will cause friction the second things go bad .

Round Dan
Old 04-29-2009   #28
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Somewhat , I'm not sure I piss off my 25 year old pro bowl QB . I think that will cause friction the second things go bad .
Yeah, it was a mistake, but after that mistake was made, I don't think there is much the Broncos could have done to retain Cutler. The damage was done.
Old 04-29-2009   #29
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Yeah, it was a mistake, but after that mistake was made, I don't think there is much the Broncos could have done to retain Cutler. The damage was done.
They did well to recover by getting a good price for Cutler but maybe got to cute . Having said that , I think Pioli did the same thing with the Chiefs by drafting Tyson Jackson . Maybe it's the Bill B tree that makes them gamble ... like Wiess .

They can't be Bill Belichick where he caught lightning in a bottle and on film . The same recipe doesn't always work and Jackson probably will not be Richard Seymour . I would have gone Raji , Monroe , or Andre Smith . It's funny because I have no problem critiquing their draft .

Round Dan
Old 04-30-2009   #30
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A lot of coaches go opposite of what they know because they think they can make any player work with their offense. Look at Kubiak, he knows offense and he keeps drafting D to get that fixed.
Old 04-30-2009   #31
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
A lot of coaches go opposite of what they know because they think they can make any player work with their offense. Look at Kubiak, he knows offense and he keeps drafting D to get that fixed.
Just like any coach, McDaniel should be judged on the success of the team. Kubiak's definitely improved the Texans (it would have been hard not to), but nobody's overlooking the defensive problems because of his offensive success. If we have the #1 offense in all categories this season, but go no better tha 8-8 because the D still sucks, Kubiak is likely an Offensive Coordinator for somebody in the '10 season.

Dungy and Billick are two good examples of Super Bowl winning coaches who didn't have teams that reflected their strengths. Dungy had a great offense, and a pretty good defense, and Billick had an all-time great defense and hardly any offense at all. As Al Davis would say (when he and his mind still resided in the same state), "Just win baby!"
Old 04-30-2009   #32
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Dungy and Billick are two good examples of Super Bowl winning coaches who didn't have teams that reflected their strengths. Dungy had a great offense, and a pretty good defense, and Billick had an all-time great defense and hardly any offense at all. As Al Davis would say (when he and his mind still resided in the same state), "Just win baby!"
Belichick was a defensive backs coach, and also a defensive coordinator before he was head coach of the Patriots. His strength is his defense. There is no doubt about that.

When Dungy got to Indy, Peyton Manning was already their QB with both Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne as receivers already on the team. Edgerrin James was also already on the team. Obviously the face and strength of the team was the offense. Dungy also had alot of job security when he got to Indy. It wasn't his first head coaching job like it was for Kubiak, or McDaniels.

The best argument against what I said about McDaniels is Kubiak.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 04-30-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2009   #33
Polo

Not Belichik...Bilick(sp?)
Old 04-30-2009   #34
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Whoosie. I read it as Belichick.

I was wondering how someone could mistake Belichick for an offensive coach, turns out its me making the stupid mistake.

Sorry about that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read