Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2009   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [610] Rick Smith Interview

He's on now for those who want to listen...

http://player.play.it/player/player....nestat=kilt-am

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [610] Rick Smith Interview

Did anyone hear the whole thing? I came in the middle and I think Rick Smith was talking about Caldwell immediately coming in to compete with Chris Myers.

for certain, he said the following:

* they'll continue to look at ways to upgrade RB.
* A.Foster could be a very good back, called him a 3rd round prospect if not injured last season.
*A. Hill and blocking TEs are essential in order to run the ball vs. 3-4... Hill was "one of the top two blocking TEs in the draft"
* Quin will play CB for us... he's excited about the guy
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Kyle Shanahan said that A.Caldwell would not be competing for the starting center because the team felt Meyers did a good job last year. I guess he didn't talk to the higher ups. Either way, I liked the Caldwell pick because his ability to play all 5 positions on the OL. It helps with the depth at Guard and Center.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Kyle Shanahan said that A.Caldwell would not be competing for the starting center because the team felt Meyers did a good job last year. I guess he didn't talk to the higher ups. Either way, I liked the Caldwell pick because his ability to play all 5 positions on the OL. It helps with the depth at Guard and Center.
He can play the 3 interior positions in the NFL.

Regarding SHanahan, I talked with Barrett about those comments. Barrett thought they were strong comments. While that may be true, I think he was just trying to show respect to the veteran leader of the oline. I'm pretty certain that this pick was made in order to upgrade the center position- whether in '09 or '10. Shanahan is young and inexperienced in those press conference environments and also likely isn't a central figure in the decision making process on draft day. Other than showing respect for Myers, I wouldn't read anything into his comments.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #5
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

They have it on the SportsRadio 610 site....just click on the link and it will open up in Windows Media Player/VLC/RealPlayer, etc.

http://www.sportsradio610.com/episod...tentId=3671936

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Regarding SHanahan, I talked with Barrett about those comments. Barrett thought they were strong comments. While that may be true, I think he was just trying to show respect to the veteran leader of the oline. I'm pretty certain that this pick was made in order to upgrade the center position- whether in '09 or '10. Shanahan is young and inexperienced in those press conference environments and also likely isn't a central figure in the decision making process on draft day. Other than showing respect for Myers, I wouldn't read anything into his comments.
Yeah that's why I said I guess he didn't speak with the higher ups about this.

When it comes to who starts at center, either way you look at it this pick does help with the depth at C or Guard.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #7
Polo

I think Myers will start off as the starter, but I think if Caldwell plays well enough he can take it...

When Shanahan says that he wasn't drafted as a replacement, that means that they are gonna assume Myers is the better man for the job until proven otherwise...
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2009   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I think Myers will start off as the starter, but I think if Caldwell plays well enough he can take it...

When Shanahan says that he wasn't drafted as a replacement, that means that they are gonna assume Myers is the better man for the job until proven otherwise...
And that will be proven in short order.
Old 04-28-2009   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Eventually, I wouldn't mind a semi rotation with him like Saalam last year. Let him play every 3rd or so series if he can hang to get some PT. Either at G or C
Old 04-28-2009   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Exactly. It's your basic "coach speak." I mean, what is a coach going to do? "Yeah, Myers has sucked pretty badly. So we're bringing in the new big stud to replace him." Uhh, no.

There will be a training camp battle, and if Caldwell is who we think he is (cue Dennis Green)...he will win out by the time rgeular season starts. And Myers and him might go back and forth throughout the season.

Caldwell might even have to play along the line, as well. You never know.
Old 04-28-2009   #11
RotorTrash007
Rookie

I really think Caldwell was drafted to play Guard. Also, these running backs what do you guys know about them?
RotorTrash007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read