Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2005   #21
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

IMO, Spears prob won't be there @ 13 and I think he would not start anyway if we got him. I was under impression, next years draft offered much more selection in mid to late 1st round or early second (where Houston will draft). If Walker and Payne remain healthy for most of season & Smith upgrades with a season under his belt in 3-4 we could have an awesome defense. QB pessure should come mainly from LB & CB anyway and I really like our Dbacks.

IMO only Benson or TRoy Williamson might be at 13 and could be a starter. I'm not sure I would want Merriman to start in front of Babin anyway. Remember, Babin was only rookie OLB that started for NFL.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally see where CaptainPatriot is coming from. I also think Infantrycak makes a good point about the Texans not being all offense with their 1st rounders. As for myself the only offensive player I'd be interested in at 13 (or above) is Benson. I think that's the sort of pick that reaps rewards not only for your offense but it helps keep your defense on the sidelines a little longer which has been a problem here for as long as we've existed.

Aside from Benson or one of the other big 3 running backs I like the first rounder to go for defense. We don't need someone opposite AJ this season, we need to protect our QB long enough for him to start looking at the rest of his recievers.

Seriously, Carr's #2 reciever could be a hybrid cyborg made from parts of Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, and Lynn Swann and it wouldn't make any difference as long as Carr looks at his first option and then Domanick Davis.

We don't "need" a WR just like we don't need a QB or anymore CB's. We could take one but it's not a need.

Benson makes more of an impact with this team than anyone else I can see available. If not Benson then DJ (both surely requiring a trade up). If that isn't gonna happen then I say CaptainPatriot sounds pretty smart and lets go get some D-line help.
Old 04-21-2005   #23
wiley2002
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
I thought the same thing too at the beggining of FA but now Im glad we didnt. I dont think we need another LB thats going to cost us as much as Hartwell would have and we already have plenty of money tied up in the D-line, they are just under-performing. If we can get the line we have to play like we know they can then we should be just fine. Good post though. Nice to see another team's fan post something intelligent and insightful once in a while.
If we can get a player like Marcus Spears, then he'll be much like the "Phillip Rivers" of our team. :woot
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #24
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley2002
If we can get a player like Marcus Spears, then he'll be much like the "Phillip Rivers" of our team. :woot
What, another bench warmer?
Old 04-22-2005   #25
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Offense, Offense, Offense. We drafted D players last year. They will shine this year. We need O Line men, running back, or a wide out to compliment Johnson.
Defense, Defense, Defense until your D is in the top 10 ranking need to keep on drafting Defense in upper rounds or FA. Also O-Line. If O-Line can block better the O will be alright. But then again if you want to build the Texans like the Colts and put up big numbers during the regular season only to have your heart broken in the Playoffs by a strong Defense. Then by all means drafting Offense is they way to go!
Old 04-22-2005   #26
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
What, another bench warmer?
who on the D-Line is dominating right now on the Texans? Have to take a chance with Spears
Old 04-23-2005   #27
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not so high on Troy Williamson. Most of his reports say he has talent but lacks aggressiveness and runs soft routes. We already have a speed guy that does that named Corey Bradford.I would rather see them take Matt Jones than Williamson on O. I agree with the idea that we need to draft either an LB or DL prospect. Might be able to swap 3-4 and 4-3 like the Pats do.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #28
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
who on the D-Line is dominating right now on the Texans? Have to take a chance with Spears
Not with the 13th pick. This is not the place for a "chance"... A good high quality receiver will be available for that pick...
Old 04-23-2005   #29
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not with the 13th pick. This is not the place for a "chance"... A good high quality receiver will be available for that pick...
I totally agree with you!! The Texans need someone to help David and Andre open up the offense!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #30
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was saying that to show how much I dislike taking Williamson at 13. MOOT POINT NOW!!!! LOL
Old 04-23-2005   #31
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
your only as good as your D-Line and O-Line! WR,RB,QB,S,CB,LB come second
Old 04-23-2005   #32
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
I totally agree with you!! The Texans need someone to help David and Andre open up the offense!!
Texans need O-Linemen before WR`s give carr more time to throw.
Old 04-23-2005   #33
DocBar
Hall of Fame

O-line will be the most improved area this year for the Texans. Ya gotta let em play together awhile. I have a good feeling going into this year. I think TJ will push Walker and Payne more than anyone else we have and we've added to our LB's and secondary. Looking good for '05
Old 04-23-2005   #34
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
O-line will be the most improved area this year for the Texans. Ya gotta let em play together awhile. I have a good feeling going into this year. I think TJ will push Walker and Payne more than anyone else we have and we've added to our LB's and secondary. Looking good for '05
I hope your right. Getting tired of false starts and holding in crucial situations
Old 04-23-2005   #35
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
I hope your right. Getting tired of false starts and holding in crucial situations
It takes some time for these guys to learn to play together. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I'm glad they didn't have a wholesale change on the OL. We have some good potential there with a need to upgrade only the center position and RG soon. The defense is gonna rock this year. I see Babin and Peek bookending some QB's this year. Besides, now Walker and Payne will be pushed more than have since they've been here.Once I realized Travis Johnson WASN'T a typo, I googled him and he seems like a very solid pick.
Old 05-02-2005   #36
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
It takes some time for these guys to learn to play together. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I'm glad they didn't have a wholesale change on the OL. We have some good potential there with a need to upgrade only the center position and RG soon. The defense is gonna rock this year. I see Babin and Peek bookending some QB's this year. Besides, now Walker and Payne will be pushed more than have since they've been here.Once I realized Travis Johnson WASN'T a typo, I googled him and he seems like a very solid pick.

I like your ATTITUDE Never know. Texans could just put it all together this yr with what they have

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read