Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-25-2009   #1
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Z-Report Final Mock Draft and 1st and 2nd Round Targets

I just couldn't do it. Matthews didn't add up to 15th pick value and Cushing has more pass rushing experience which helps on blitzes. He's also more physical. I could be wrong. We'll see. I still expect a trade back.

Here is my final mock draft
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Z-Report Final Mock Draft and 1st and 2nd Round Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
I just couldn't do it. Matthews didn't add up to 15th pick value and Cushing has more pass rushing experience which helps on blitzes. He's also more physical. I could be wrong. We'll see. I still expect a trade back.

I'm thinking that they'll trade back as well. I'm not sure who I'd rather have as far as Mathews or Cushing. Neither of them really unless Mathews is there with the trade back and is also depends on what kind of draft pick we get for trading back as well. I wish the Texans would jump on Rey Mealeuga though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #3
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 305 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I'm thinking that they'll trade back as well. I'm not sure who I'd rather have as far as Mathews or Cushing. Neither of them really unless Mathews is there with the trade back and is also depends on what kind of draft pick we get for trading back as well. I wish the Texans would jump on Rey Mealeuga though.
Why do you want a MLB when we have one of the better MLBs in the NFL?
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post

I like Rey Mealeuga also. Could we move Ryans to the outside? Ryans did play OLB in college right? Maybe we could move Rey to the outside?

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
I think that he is to good of a player to pass on. I think it could be worked out where Demeco could move to the outside. He played on the outside in college, and he is a good enough instinctive player to do it again if you ask me. I;m just not sold on Cushing and Mathews with the 15th pick. If Rey is there I think we should take him and not try and trade down.
Old 04-25-2009   #6
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I like Rey Mealeuga also. Could we move Ryans to the outside? Ryans did play OLB in college right? Maybe we could move Rey to the outside?
That's the question. If they think he can play outside, Maualuge would be an awesome fit, but I've spoken with someone behind the scenes (not R. Smith) who doesn't believe he can run well enough in coverage to play outside.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #7
Ckw

Quote:

I like it. I really hope we do trade back for a guy like Darius Butler.

Quote:
That's the question. If they think he can play outside, Maualuge would be an awesome fit, but I've spoken with someone behind the scenes (not R. Smith) who doesn't believe he can run well enough in coverage to play outside.
Not to mention, Demeco has become the leader of that Texans D. He is essentially removed from this role if he is not posted up in the middle.
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2009   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

That's what I've seen with my own two eyes. He doesn't seem to do as well in coverage. He is much, MUCH more effective at the line of scrimmage.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #9
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see. It sounds like Cushing or Mathews would be a better fit. I sure like how Rey plays though. I wouldn't be disappointed if we draft Wells or Moreno either.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #10
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

My fear with Cushing is growth potential. I'm wondering if there is a scenario similar to Z's "aggressive" mock that has most of the movement and trading happening before we even get a chance to deal with somebody. In that scenario where we simply can't trade down, then I could see your point with taking Cushing @ 15 instead of trading down a few and taking any of the several guys you have listed that could still be available at say 20 or lower. I question if Cushing is even a good value at 15. I really do. It's not that he's "falling". I don't think he's that good. He's stiff and the video I saw of him he seemed like a mediocre tackler. Watching Matthews at the pro day was UNREAL. He's incredibly fluid.
Old 04-25-2009   #11
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I see. It sounds like Cushing or Mathews would be a better fit. I sure like how Rey plays though. I wouldn't be disappointed if we draft Wells or Moreno either.
That's the only scenario where I would be actually upset. I think it makes ZERO sense to pay that much for a backup running back in our system.
Old 04-25-2009   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I could totally see Cushing being the pick at #15. It's not really my favorite at this point but I wouldn't be against the selection. I expect Rick Smith to somehow pull off a trade down as well.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #13
3dgaroo
Rookie

What would it take to get Patrick Willis out of San Fran. I would think the 15th and next years 2nd. That would cancel out getting a LB with the 15th and it just cost a 2nd round pick more to get the other best linebacker in the NFL
3dgaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dgaroo View Post
What would it take to get Patrick Willis out of San Fran. I would think the 15th and next years 2nd. That would cancel out getting a LB with the 15th and it just cost a 2nd round pick more to get the other best linebacker in the NFL
Would you trade Patrick Willis if you were San Fran? I sure as hell wouldn't. Why would they do that? Just so they could take our pick and take Cushing or Mathews with it and then just have an extra 2nd? That wouldn't happen.
Old 04-26-2009   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Really, really accurate write up here LZ. I am very impressed. I know who I am reading in preparation for next year's draft.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 04-26-2009 at 12:43 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Way to go Lance! Really accurate mock and got the Texans pick dead on!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009   #17
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Great work Lance. Not just Texans' pick but other picks as well.

GO TEXANS!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

great job Lance

still cannot get over KC pick Tyson Jackson 3rd overall. I understand thought process -build around DL using Richard Seymour (6th overall pick) clone who fits 3-4 DE. Also drafted Alex Magee, DE Purdue who also projects @ 3-4 DE in the 3rd. round so its all about need not bpa.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

WOW!

Quote:
Final Mock Draft

1. Detroit - Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
2. St. Louis - Jason Smith, LT, Baylor
3. Kansas City - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
4. Seattle - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
5. Cleveland - B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College
6. Cincinnati - Andre Smith, RT, Alabama
7. Oakland - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
8. Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe, LT, Virginia
9. Green Bay - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
10. San Francisco - Michael Oher, LT, Ole Miss
11. Buffallo - Aaron Mabyine, DE, Penn State
12. Denver - Brian Orakpo, OLB/DE, Texas
13. Washington - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
14. New Orleans - Malcolm Jenkins, CB/FS, Ohio State
15. Houston - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
You got 9/15 right. Thats impressive!
Old 04-29-2009   #20
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
WOW!

You got 9/15 right. Thats impressive!
Isn't that 10/15, right?

Quote:
Final Mock Draft

1. Detroit - Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
2. St. Louis - Jason Smith, LT, Baylor
3. Kansas City - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
4. Seattle - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

5. Cleveland - B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College
6. Cincinnati - Andre Smith, RT, Alabama
7. Oakland - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
8. Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe, LT, Virginia

9. Green Bay - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
10. San Francisco - Michael Oher, LT, Ole Miss
11. Buffallo - Aaron Mabyine, DE, Penn State
12. Denver - Brian Orakpo, OLB/DE, Texas
13. Washington - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
14. New Orleans - Malcolm Jenkins, CB/FS, Ohio State
15. Houston - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read