Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2009   #41
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith presser quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I thought that was the whole point?
Brilliant!!!!! Rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Yea, you may be right.

What do you think about my body language observation? You guys see the same thing I am seeing?
I think you're watching too much T.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I felt like he was kind of uncomfortable or trying to choose his words real carefully. He seemed to kind of skirt the issue a little and that to me made me feel like there's more to it. From what I gathered, he seemed to talk in more general terms for 'a football' team and not the Texans. It made me think that they've had a lot of discussions about the guys like Brown, Maybin, etc.
All across the league these mandatory pre draft pressers are fluff-fests. This is the one time where they say even less than your typical sports interview. (which is usually absolutely nothing.... "play 60 minutes", "give 110 %", "enjoy this one and get back to work", "all I can worry about is what I can control", "it's a marathon not a sprint" etc.)

But who was the guy last year that accidentally tipped his hand a bit? Carolina or something? He slipped up and said something like when you take a defensive guy you.... and the press called him on it. Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well here's hoping the Rb early talk is trying to generate interest in a move back. There will be one and only one four plus million Rb on the team....color me homer, but I'm pulling for Steve Slaton.
Totally agree. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. I would be wrecked if they actually did take a RB 1st. For the record, I'm a HUGE Steve Slaton fan as both a football player and a guy. But especially as a football player. Those never quit runs were the best last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Hilarious - that was the first thing that I thought when I read that line as well. This makes me like Smith even more. I think Justice has given some unecessary criticism - which I would argue, in some circumstances, borders unprofessional. It is nice to see him give a little jab back - without naming names.
By the way, McClain said in his chat that Justice wasn't even at the presser so there's probably not much to Smith's comment. Just so you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
who says you were wrong about him? dude gave up like 13 sacks by himself and was spelled at times by Salaam. Brown got either Sage or Schaub killed numerous times during the season. Granted, that happens with rookies but to act like Duane Brown is something special or has solidified our LT position is probably a bit of pie in the sky thinking at this point in time. Hopefully he develops into the bookend we need need him to be but right now the jury is still out even though our offense was pretty damn good last year.

He was and always will be a reach where we selected him no matter how many times the Chargers brass said they were going to draft him if we didn't. The bottom line is that Brown showed promise but to say you were wrong in criticizing the selection of Brown is probably a bit premature. Just like it would be premature to call him a bust or failure.

Face it, Rick Smith has done a lot of good things and I like him as our GM overall, but his 2 1st Round selections have not exactly lit the world on fire (okoye and brown)

I am just being realistic and practical and if Oher or Smith fall to #15 we need to think long and hard about drafting one of those guys because both of those guys are much more talented than Duane Brown ever was.
I think he very much played like a rookie LT against Freeney, Harrison, Allen and Porter. God, what a bust. I mean those guys are chumps and he can't even pass pro against them every snap. Seriously, what's with him 15 yards down field run blocking? What's with all that silly sealing off the backside? Why is he using his athleticism to compensate when he makes a bad read or has bad technique in his first NFL season? That's not actually going to help him as he get's better technically over time? The guy has already played 16 games! What gives? Figure it out Duane! Geez. I mean this guy is supposed to be the best! Right? And he's still making mistakes?

I think he performed better than I expected. I think I saw plenty of room for improvement but I also saw plenty of things to be excited about. Ask me again this time next year. We'll see...
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #42
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe it was Miami where the guy came right out and revealed the player they wanted (Jake Long).

Can anyone confirm that it was Miami who blundered at a press conference, practically saying who they were going to pick? I think that's right.
Old 04-24-2009   #43
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I believe it was Miami where the guy came right out and revealed the player they wanted (Jake Long).

Can anyone confirm that it was Miami who blundered at a press conference, practically saying who they were going to pick? I think that's right.
When you have the #1 pick in the entire draft, does it really matter if you leak who you're choosing?
Old 04-24-2009   #44
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

http://www.thephinsider.com/story/2008/4/17/13245/1969

Right idea, wrong result.

He said that he hoped the pick would be a pillar of the defense...Jake Long plays OL.

May have been intentional to pressure Jake Long to sign before the draft. (which he did)
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #45
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
When you have the #1 pick in the entire draft, does it really matter if you leak who you're choosing?
Just gives the kid's agent more leverage during negotiations.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #46
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans did it twice with Carr and Mario.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
The Texans did it twice with Carr and Mario.
Only after the contracts were done.
Old 04-24-2009   #48
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Only after the contracts were done.
Good point.

To add to what others observed. Rick Smith threw the big dis and I am sure it was at Richard Justice. I looked to see if he cried in the chron today but nothing. Suprised.
Old 04-24-2009   #49
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain said Justice wasn't even there. It was a joke. Nothing more.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #50
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
McClain said Justice wasn't even there. It was a joke. Nothing more.
I am going to pretend you didn't post this so that you will not ruin my opportunity to read into this too much. For instance my next thing was going to say that maybe the body language was a result of Richard Justice being in the room and the rubbing of the arms was to hint to Justice that the new strength and conditioning coach is working out everyone real well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read