Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-24-2009   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Final Cut Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Because the 3-4 teams are concerned....he cannot cover as a 3-4 LB. Our question with him is basically the same, will he ever be able to stand up ? The other issue with him, and it makes no sense......but they do it with every board every year....he is a Florida St. DE. that baggage cripples him in the eyes of the lame. we move down and Kollar likes the guy....I'd have no problem with the pick. anything that moves the sack total out of the mid twenties.....I'm enthusiastic about. Everette rotating with Antonio works for me. And if Maybin is his guy, I'm ok with that also....I just don't think his body will ever allow him to stand up is all. Same with Sittim. If he's their guy, fine. I gotta choice....I take English because he has better hips and has shown more of a probability that one day he could stand up with the big boys and cover a LB spot.

And that's the same reason that I prefer Mathews over Cushing. Mathews is the better athlete and has the hips of a safety. In my mind that is far more valuable in the long run than Cushing's college production. I mean Mathews can always become more productive. However.....you can't switch hips between the two. Either you have them or you don't. If Cushing is their guy....covers MLB and Sam....I'd have no problem with the pick. Mathews in my mind in the long run will be the better pro. He has the hips for it.

Mathews hips are so good.....he'd have no problem switching to a spare TE-H back in 2010. so good...if he was twenty pounds lighter...he'd be a pretty fair safety prospect. No matter who the guy is related to, I buy that any draft. Maybe a work out warrior in shorts....the tapes say he's not. Only thing the guy lacks is snaps. And every snap, he's only going to get better.
thats a really good post pete
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Maybe Raji can teach some of those losers how to beat a random test...
I know it would suck if Raji winds up in Jacksonville, maybe they screw it up again & take another WR
Old 04-24-2009   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Man, I'm so confused......sorry here we go
I agree with everything here except I think Maybin's mindset is DE based, not LB which is why Maybin would be such a huge project at OLB over a guy like Matthews or Barwin and much moreso than Okoye who is only a project because he's young not because he lacks skill sets for the time being.
his mindset? guess that would come out in the interview process. maybe my mindset is reading too much into what I see & what I think the Texans could see in his athletic ability & upside @ his natural OLB position.

Why can't 4-3 teams have some fun with speed/power rush from OLB position just like 3-4 teams? I'm sick & tired watching them have all the fun Why can't the Texans re-invent the 4-3 & make that the defense of choice? we already have invested in an elite DE with Mario, he's a game changer by himself. two more 1st rd. DT draft picks in TJ & Okoye now add LDE Antiono Smith. All the Texans lack is speed/power on the edges or coming on stunts inside who have natural rushing intincts. see no reason why 4-3 LB's can't impact the pass rush, flush the QB, tip more passes/intercept & create havoc just like 3-4 teams, maybe Frank Bush is just the guy to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlgGFWraKVg

Last edited by beerlover; 04-24-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: add some vid
Old 04-24-2009   #24
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Why can't 4-3 teams have some fun with speed/power rush from OLB position just like 3-4 teams? I'm sick & tired watching them have all the fun
3-4 teams rush from the OLB position more because when they do, they still have 7 men in coverage if need be, instead of committing 5 up front if running a 4-3 and rushing an OLB. Now there's always the possibility of dropping a lineman back to cover a short zone or flat, but it all depends on personnel.

On the other hand, at certain times, like a 3rd and long for instance, it might be better for a defense to bring as much heat as they can, and if that happens it's nice to have a talented OLB rushing the QB. Teams that do it regularly are gonna get caught eventually and get burned because of it though.

Discussion on it is a wash however because it's all very dependent on situations, personnel, team philosophies, and many more factors, but I just felt like commenting on that quote.

T-Minus 35 hours at this point.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
i know it would suck if raji winds up in jacksonville, maybe they screw it up again & take another wr
ugh .... I dont want him in the division unless he falls to 15 , seeing him twice a year .... ugh

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

stand pat or trade down I have to beleive based on team needs, off season aquistions & strength of this draft the Texans will allow Frank Bush the luxury of his top choice @ that position. He will be somebody who can impact this defense, add speed/toughness his resume suggests his knowledge concerning position unquestioned -
* 2009: Defensive coordinator, Houston Texans
* 2007-08: Senior Defensive Assistant, Houston Texans
* 2006: Asst. Head Coach/Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
* 2004-05: Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
* 2001-03: Special Teams, Denver Broncos
* 2000: Secondary/Nickel Package, Denver Broncos
* 1995-99: Linebackers, Denver Broncos
* 1992-94: Linebackers, Houston Oilers
* 1987-92: Scout, Houston Oilers
this is the primary reason I think Aaron Maybin is the choice. he would be to OLB what Mario is to DE. together they form a dynamic duo, both can move around stand up or inline.

If Maybin is off the board the Texans could trade down & take Matthews, later Sintim or English even a Connor Barwin is a possiblity. Also expect them to take another LB later, maybe more a coverage type like Marcus Freeman.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read