Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-17-2009   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Gosselin's 2nd Mock

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....e3cc4cc9.html

Quote:
15. Houston Texans:
Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
Texans need help for Mario Williams up front
Old 04-17-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Gosselin's 2nd Mock

Orakpo at #15 is a pipe dream but I wouldn't complain.

Gosselin is usually pretty good but that mock looks very unrealistic to me. Then again, it's a mock draft.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

First time ive seen a mock have him drop that far. I would love it. Im a big time Orakpo Fan.

And If I hear Casserly or some other douche call him OraPKo one more time im going to scream.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

Gosselin is usually pretty good but that mock looks very unrealistic to me. Then again, it's a mock draft.
If you look historically at all the early drafts all of them are "unrealistic". The only mocks worth a darn...ever, are the ones right before the draft when everyone starts to get better information about how the scouts and teams are really sitting. I mean, people were laughing at mocksters who had Josh Freeman in their first round mocks until he was invited to the combine...now everyone is sticking him in their mock.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
First time ive seen a mock have him drop that far. I would love it. Im a big time Orakpo Fan.

And If I hear Casserly or some other douche call him OraPKo one more time im going to scream.
I could just hear Casserly saying, "Defensive end nightmares, Mare-eo and OraP-ko"
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

From the below quote he might have just done this on pure need without being tricky. But I agree, I doubt it does down like this.

Quote:
The first one last Sunday was based on best available player. This one places a greater emphasis on team need.
Old 04-17-2009   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd probably die of a heart attack if we got him. No way. Fourteen teams are going to be scared off the guy ? No way. I believe....no matter who else they pick.....we win the division with Orakpo. They say they don't want to move Mario. And I believe them. More realistic....Ayers/Sidbury rotating with Antonio Smith.
Old 04-17-2009   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 77891 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He's probably wanting to be different from the other trillion mocks that are constantly popping up every day.
Old 04-17-2009   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh hell yes.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
From the below quote he might have just done this on pure need without being tricky. But I agree, I doubt it does down like this.
And yet he has Seattle taking a QB?
Old 04-17-2009   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If you look historically at all the early drafts all of them are "unrealistic". The only mocks worth a darn...ever, are the ones right before the draft when everyone starts to get better information about how the scouts and teams are really sitting. I mean, people were laughing at mocksters who had Josh Freeman in their first round mocks until he was invited to the combine...now everyone is sticking him in their mock.
And now Kiper is saying that Freeman is a second round prospect.

All this "stock" stuff is BS. A guy's talent and ability does not change drastically during the period between the combine and the draft. Only your perception of it does. When I see a "draftnik" that is constantly changing up his big board this late it tells me that he doesn't scout the players. He is going off of other people's opinions.

I've had Freeman as a second round prospect since day one. The only changes you will see me making to my draft board this late is for small school guys that I don't get to watch because I don't have access to their game tapes.
Old 04-17-2009   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody needs to tell Gosselin that Orakpo is moving up the Boards not down, whereas Curry is moving in just the opposite direction.
Gosselin must be hittin the sauce while compiling this years mocks ?
Check that - I'm seeing a lot of mocks besides this one where Orakpo seems to be dropping, in some cases dramatically, so I dunno what's going on for sure with the Texas DE ?

Last edited by nunusguy; 04-18-2009 at 10:25 AM.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
And yet he has Seattle taking a QB?
Hassleback isn't getting any younger or healthier and their backups are horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Somebody needs to tell Gosselin that Orakpo is moving up the Boards not down, whereas Curry is moving in just the opposite direction.
Gosselin must be hittin the sauce while compiling this years mocks ?
I think I'll trust him for right now. Again, it seems like he tried to do this one a little differently to see how it plays out. But he is tops when it comes to this stuff.
Old 04-17-2009   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Hassleback isn't getting any younger or healthier and their backups are horrible...
Hasselback can still play though.

If this mock is based on need then is Seattle's biggest need a backup QB? Or is Sanchez going to start over Hasselback?
Old 04-17-2009   #15
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

When it comes to Draft Gurus, Gosselin is the best.

I would love to get Orakpo, but I don't think GB, Buffalo, and Washington all pass on him. I could see us trading up with Washington and giving up a forth if he is still there, but I have a hard time seeing him dropping all the way to 15. If he does, something is wrong.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And now Kiper is saying that Freeman is a second round prospect.

All this "stock" stuff is BS. A guy's talent and ability does not change drastically during the period between the combine and the draft. Only your perception of it does. When I see a "draftnik" that is constantly changing up his big board this late it tells me that he doesn't scout the players. He is going off of other people's opinions.

I've had Freeman as a second round prospect since day one. The only changes you will see me making to my draft board this late is for small school guys that I don't get to watch because I don't have access to their game tapes.
I agree with you on the 'stock' stuff. A 3rd round talent isn't all of a sudden a 1st round talent because of their offseason stuff. They've been that 1st round talent all along. It's just people's perceptions/getting to know more about the player/etc. that changes.

At the end of the day, all that matters is how the teams view these players, not the draftniks and fans.

A prospect's stock is fairly similar to a company's stock, but not quite exact. The player's height/weight, athleticism, etc. + their play on the field, character off the field, etc. are just like companies releasing quarterly/annual reports. What they do "on the field" and "on the books" effects what their "stock" does. The difference is that the 'market' that determines this stock isn't public... the teams determine this on an individual basis pertaining towards their team. Very rarely is there an 'overnight' jump in a players stock... it's gradual even though the casual fan doesn't see this.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #17
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hasselback can still play though.

If this mock is based on need then is Seattle's biggest need a backup QB? Or is Sanchez going to start over Hasselback?
I think the idea is that Hasselback hangs around for a year and teaches Sanchez. Then next year Snachez is the starter. Its not a bad idea, if you think Sanchez is a quality QB.

I don't and think there are MUCH better QBs in next year's draft(McCoy, Bradford, Snead, maybe Tebow, Hiller, Robinson, etc)

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I agree with you on the 'stock' stuff. A 3rd round talent isn't all of a sudden a 1st round talent because of their offseason stuff. They've been that 1st round talent all along. It's just people's perceptions/getting to know more about the player/etc. that changes.

At the end of the day, all that matters is how the teams view these players, not the draftniks and fans.

A prospect's stock is fairly similar to a company's stock, but not quite exact. The player's height/weight, athleticism, etc. + their play on the field, character off the field, etc. are just like companies releasing quarterly/annual reports. What they do "on the field" and "on the books" effects what their "stock" does. The difference is that the 'market' that determines this stock isn't public... the teams determine this on an individual basis pertaining towards their team. Very rarely is there an 'overnight' jump in a players stock... it's gradual even though the casual fan doesn't see this.
Ole Miss

What do you think of the stock market?

It's trending up do you think it will continue to trend up?

Kinda like Brett Staffords stock. The only way he wont be taken #1 is if his agent gets greedy.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only mock of Gosselin's that means anything is the one the day before the draft. That one is typically pretty darn accurate, but up to that point............

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I think the idea is that Hasselback hangs around for a year and teaches Sanchez. Then next year Snachez is the starter. Its not a bad idea, if you think Sanchez is a quality QB.

I don't and think there are MUCH better QBs in next year's draft(McCoy, Bradford, Snead, maybe Tebow, Hiller, Robinson, etc)
Beat me to it...what he said. Sanchez isn't ready as a rookie. He learns under Hassleback and then they have their next franchise QB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read