Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-16-2009   #1
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346
Default Zierlein's Mock Draft - 4/15

Quote:
19. *trade* Houston Texans - Clay Matthews, LB, USC: This one is a tricky one. Knowshon Moreno would be a great value on the board, but I just don't know if the Texans can afford not to improve their defense with their first pick. I still think Peria Jerry and Ziggy Hood are great fits for what the Texans want to do with their defensive line, but both players are better suited to play the same position that Amobi Okoye plays. The guy that could jump into the equation here could be CB Darrius Butler from UConn. However, when I look at the lack of depth at the LB position in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, it makes it easier to put Matthews in this spot despite having some intriguing talent still on the board. Could the Texans trade back a second time?
He's got us trading down with the Tampa Bay. Interesting to note that he's got Moreno and Butler still on the board at the 19th pick.

Z-Report
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #2
whiskeyrbl

Default Re: Zierlein's Mock Draft - 4/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
He's got us trading down with the Tampa Bay. Interesting to note that he's got Moreno and Butler still on the board at the 19th pick.

Z-Report
I don't see the trade back to TB now that they aquired Leftwich.
Old 04-16-2009   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Really? You think Lefwich is their long term solution?

I think there is a real chance that both QB's go high, leaving multiple teams scrambling to get Freeman.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Really? You think Lefwich is their long term solution?

I think there is a real chance that both QB's go high, leaving multiple teams scrambling to get Freeman.
does Minnesota think Sage Rosenfels is the answer
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #5
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a fan at all of predicting trades in mock drafts; way too many variables involved.

There will undoubtedly be trades prior to pick number 15, so in order for his mock to be accurate he would need to predict those trades or simply leave trades out of the equation all together.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
does Minnesota think Sage Rosenfels is the answer
I never said he was.

But to be honest I have no idea why they traded for Sage when they have Jackson, Gus and Booty.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I never said he was.

But to be honest I have no idea why they traded for Sage when they have Jackson, Gus and Booty.
I believe Gus is back with St Louis. I think he was a FA after this past season, and Minnesota decided not to resign him.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2009   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Too many people in the media & elsewhere have us taking matthews which leads me to believe that we're most likely taking someone else for whatever reason. Think about it..

2006- Reggie bush/ VY fever. We've rehashed this so much that's it's almost become unhealthy ......who do we take?...Mario.

2007 -before & after the trade up with atlanta we were all over the place; Leon Hall, Laron Landry, Darrell Revis, Patrick Willis. Even though all but 1 of these guys were available...who do we take?...Amobi, the guy thought to be gone by the time we were up.

2008 - Most everyone agreed we'd take a tackle. Most had professed it would most likely be Clady, Williams or Otah. A run on tackles leaves us with only Otah when our original pick at 18 pops up. we trade down, Otah's taken at 19 & we're all . Then we think "oh wait, they must be targeting mendenhall since he continues to slide?" Uhh, no......who do we wind up taking?......Duane Brown, a tackle noone in the media or on messageboards had even considered b/c he was thought to be at best the 5th best tackle in the draft.

Thinking about this actually makes me kind of sad b/c i've beat my drum for Matthews from the beginning, but the smithiak draft history suggest that it's going to be someone else.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be outright sick if Jacksonville somehow managed to land Aaron Curry. i really don't want to face him twice a year
Old 04-16-2009   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post

Z-Report
I would be really happy with Moreno, Butler, Matthews, or Jerry at this spot. I would be happy with Hood a little further back. I like all these guys, and like Z said, Hood and Jerry are less of a need because of Okoye.....unless, something bigger is going on with Amobi's knee than soreness.
Old 04-16-2009   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I would be really happy with Moreno, Butler, Matthews, or Jerry at this spot. I would be happy with Hood a little further back. I like all these guys, and like Z said, Hood and Jerry are less of a need because of Okoye.....unless, something bigger is going on with Amobi's knee than soreness.
Unless there is long term concern for Amobi's knee, which I don't think there is, I'd puke if we got a DT other then trading up for Raji(which i'm not keen on). I'd at least like to give Kollar a year with the line especially after possbily adding Smith(whom i have hopes for).

After it's all and done I wouldn't be completely disapointed with taking Matthews, though I do think signing June allows us to be a in position where we don't NEED to take a LB. I have concerns about Cushing and Matthews. Honestly I'd love for Jenkins or Oher to fall to us at 15. Really warming up to the idea if Oher falls we can slide him inside to guard and if Brown struggles we're in a great position with Butler and Oher. If we trade back again I'd love to get ina position where the value would be in a guy like Mack, Ugner, or Wood.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been on the Butler bandwagon for a couple weeks now and he'd be the first one I'd be looking for if we were to trade back a couple few spots. I'm beginning to like him more than Mathews.
Old 04-16-2009   #13
Polo

I don't like the Matthews pick for us at all....Not @ 15 and not @ 19.

I'd much rather take Moreno, but it would be nice to know how the Texans rate the players and what they think our weakest position is. From where I'm sitting, the answer to both of those questions is RB, but I guess we'll see which way they go when the smoke clears...
Old 04-16-2009   #14
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't like the Matthews pick for us at all....Not @ 15 and not @ 19.

I'd much rather take Moreno, but it would be nice to know how the Texans rate the players and what they think our weakest position is. From where I'm sitting, the answer to both of those questions is RB, but I guess we'll see which way they go when the smoke clears...
The deal is.. when you have big bruising backs like Andre Brown, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, etc that will be available later.... do you really want to give first round money to a RB like that? Especially in this system? Tempting I guess.... but not so sure.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
The deal is.. when you have big bruising backs like Andre Brown, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, etc that will be available later.... do you really want to give first round money to a RB like that? Especially in this system? Tempting I guess.... but not so sure.
I'm not a big fan of Moreno but he would fit our system just fine.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm not a big fan of Moreno but he would fit our system just fine.
I don't think there's a big gap between Slaton/Moreno or Slaton/Jennings , Brown . With the 1st pick we need an upgrade .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have to remember that Slaton is our #1 guy. Whoever we'd be drafting would be looking to get ~10 carries a game at most. I don't want to spend a top 15 pick on a situational guy like that

Im very concerned about drafting a USC LB. Matthews seems like boom or bust, and Im worried about taking a risky pick in the top 15.

After all the failures we've had at picking DL (with the exception of MW), I don't want to draft another DT.

Im all for trading back and looking at DB, T, or C
Old 04-16-2009   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I don't think there's a big gap between Slaton/Moreno or Slaton/Jennings , Brown . With the 1st pick we need an upgrade .
I agree.

I have Moreno as my #3 back behind Donald Brown. I'm not that high on him but as far as him fitting our system...he fits it just fine.

If I could choose I would want Jennings in the 3rd (won't make it to our pick) or Brown in the 4th (probably won't make it to our pick).

So if you want one of those guys you have to take them a little early. Taking a RB in the second is not ideal this year, but I wouldn't throw a fit if we took Jennings in the 2nd or Brown in the 3rd.
Old 04-16-2009   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Leftwich is a back up as long as he has that big exaggerated cartoon wind up. He's like Rosencopter without the copter-hops, foot speed, and a has a slower release.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Leftwich is a back up as long as he has that big exaggerated cartoon wind up. He's like Rosencopter without the copter-hops, foot speed, and a has a slower release.
Yeah. But but but look how big he is and how far he can throw...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read