Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-12-2009   #1
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 55704 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Question Who would you pick at 15 in this mock?

NFL Draft:
1. Detroit Lions: OT Jason Smith, Baylor
2. St. Louis Rams: OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
3. Kansas City Chiefs: LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
4. Seattle Seahawks: NT B.J. Raji, Boston College
5. Cleveland Browns: OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
6. Cincinnati Bengals: OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
7. Oakland Raiders: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
8. Jacksonville Jaguars: WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
9. Green Bay Packers: OLB Everette Brown, Florida State
10. San Francisco 49ers: QB Mark Sanchez, Southern California
11. Buffalo Bills: DE Aaron Maybin, Penn State
12. Denver Broncos: LB Rey Maualuga, Southern California
13. Washington Redskins: OT Andre Smith, Alabama
14. New Orleans Saints: S Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
15. Houston Texans: ......
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #2
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would you pick at 15 in this mock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
NFL Draft:
15. Houston Texans: ......
No brainer! Matt Stafford.
Old 04-12-2009   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

clay or (preferably) a trade down
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I would listen to all offers first, then if not to my satisfaction make the pick & let teams up the ante once they've figured out the unthinkable
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #5
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i agree. unfortunately i'm being serious. i think Schaub is good but the idea of having a top three QB talent who can back up for a year or two is just too... great for me to ignore. OR we could trade him.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #6
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Matthews/Cushing.
Old 04-12-2009   #7
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Make offers to trade down to all the teams that need a quarterback, because crazily Matt Stafford is still on board. (Reminds me of when we traded down so the Ravens could get Flacco)

After that, I would probably go for Clay Matthews with our lower 1st round pick.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2009   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would listen to all offers first, then if not to my satisfaction make the pick & let teams up the ante once they've figured out the unthinkable
Exactly! At worst you end up with a highly rated young talent to back up Schaub for awhile. We know Kubiak is considered a great QB coach. Let him coach him up for a year and see what happens. If eh gets a chance and performs well at all we would be sitting on a gold mine for draft picks next year.

At best and most likely we will be having 5 teams
17 New York Jets
18 Denver
19 Tampa Bay
20 Detroit
22 Minnesota
bidding against each other for his services.
Old 04-12-2009   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly! At worst you end up with a highly rated young talent to back up Schaub for awhile. We know Kubiak is considered a great QB coach. Let him coach him up for a year and see what happens. If eh gets a chance and performs well at all we would be sitting on a gold mine for draft picks next year.

At best and most likely we will be having 5 teams
17 New York Jets
18 Denver
19 Tampa Bay
20 Detroit
22 Minnesota
bidding against each other for his services.
I understand your logic, but I'd rather make the deal on draft day to get extra picks NOW. If we take Stafford in hopes of maaaybe getting future picks next year, we've wasted a first round chance to improve our defense with a impact starter THIS year.
We need to improve our defense this year if we're to turn that proverbial corner and make the playoffs.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd try to trade down as well but if that weren't possible then I'd pick Darius Butler. He and Alphonso Smith are the best man coverage CB's this year and I'm not convinced that Dunta will be great next year or that he even wants to sign with the Texans long term.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
NFL Draft:
15. Houston Texans: Darius Butler
I'm with Wolf6151.
Old 04-13-2009   #12
Polo

It depends on how the Texans view Stafford.

If you think he is a top 3 talent, I'd take him. Even if he'll just be a back-up, we've seen that back up QB's that do well when they are given a shot can reap great rewards in trades.

If that is just too far fetched, I'd just take Wells.
Old 04-13-2009   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Barring the possibility of a trade down (or up) I would take Brandon Pettigrew.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we have a winner.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #15
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
i agree. unfortunately i'm being serious. i think Schaub is good but the idea of having a top three QB talent who can back up for a year or two is just too... great for me to ignore. OR we could trade him.
Stafford is VASTLY overrated and has BUST written all over him. Football Outsiders(a great site) looks at two key stats for first round QBs: starts and completion % when evaluating QB prospects. Stafford falls between Akili Smith and Cade McNown. Trust me, Stafford has B-U-S-T written all over him.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #16
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Stafford is VASTLY overrated and has BUST written all over him. Football Outsiders(a great site) looks at two key stats for first round QBs: starts and completion % when evaluating QB prospects. Stafford falls between Akili Smith and Cade McNown. Trust me, Stafford has B-U-S-T written all over him.
Someone would be willing to take a chance on him. I'd be looking for the trade down and grab some more picks.
Old 04-13-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agree totally, but for some reason, some team will think they can turn him into something.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #18
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Yeah I am with you talk about a red zone fix
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #19
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

I almost wish we needed a TE, Pettigrew is going to be a great pro TE.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stafford is VASTLY overrated and has BUST written all over him. Football Outsiders(a great site) looks at two key stats for first round QBs: starts and completion % when evaluating QB prospects.
Starts and completion %? I guess Football Outsiders would have been in love with Danny Wuerrful.

Stafford has started 32 games, gone 14-6 in the SEC as a starter, and was undefeated in bowl games. The only way Stafford drops to #15 in the actual draft is if he is filmed clubbing baby seals. Wait...the Raiders would still take Matt at #7 and deal Jamarcus Russell. Matt Stafford is the number 1 pick in this draft. Granted, it's a weak draft. But he is the #1 pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read