Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What rank do you think our defense will be next year
1-5 3 2.91%
6-10 9 8.74%
11-15 38 36.89%
16-20 37 35.92%
21-25 10 9.71%
26-30 5 4.85%
31-32 1 0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2005   #21
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

I see us being alittle better than middle of the back so on the poll, I'd go with 11-15 with us being 14th.
Old 04-28-2005   #22
canadiantexan
Veteran

16-20 sounds about right (hopefully 16)
I cant believe people voted for 1-5 we improved but 1-5 is just dreaming....it's a nice dream though
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #23
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I seem to remember the defense wearing down from being out on the field too much because the offense was 1 or 2 & out, not sustaining much production and clock eating ability. all the emphasis this off season has been on the defense so while they should be improved possibly top 10 material, the offense will skew the numbers dropping them to around 20.

Funny the defense will hinge in large part to how effective the Texans offesnive line is
Actually, a bad offense usually helps the defensive statistics, especially if you are talking about total yards. Last year the number one defense in total yards was Washington... In 2003, the number one defense in total yards was the Dallas Cowboys.

I think this year we will have closer to 35 sacks, finish the season around +10 in the turnover ratio, and win time of posession. Those things say a lot more about a defense than total yards does.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #24
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Actually, a bad offense usually helps the defensive statistics, especially if you are talking about total yards. Last year the number one defense in total yards was Washington... In 2003, the number one defense in total yards was the Dallas Cowboys.

I think this year we will have closer to 35 sacks, finish the season around +10 in the turnover ratio, and win time of posession. Those things say a lot more about a defense than total yards does.
How would a bad offense help def stats??? That means the def is on the field more and giving up more yards.
Old 04-28-2005   #25
Mr Shush
Veteran

I say around the 20 mark. We'll probably turn out to have got better against the pass (more experience for Babin, more playing time for Peek translating to much improved pass-rush while our new speed and quickness at ILB should mean better coverage in the middle) but worse against the run. If Johnson comes in and turns out to be a monster, or if the older guys on the D-line stay healthy and play to their potential, we might be looking at 11-15. Higher than that is La-la Land, especially what with having to play Indy twice and St. Louis, among others (watch out for what Warner can still do now that he actually has someone to throw the ball to).
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #26
Davis37
All Pro

Im supprised we havent had any "chicken littles" vote 31-32 yet
Old 04-28-2005   #27
Davis37
All Pro

If we can get good pressure on the QB this year, we have a chance at getting in the 11-15 range. If not, I think we will be 20-25.
Old 04-29-2005   #28
Davis37
All Pro

still no "chicken littles". thats supprising.
Old 04-29-2005   #29
wiley2002
Veteran

Quote:
Im supprised we havent had any "chicken littles" vote 31-32 yet
Quote:
still no "chicken littles". thats supprising.
I guess even though people think negative about the Texans they see that this was some sort of an improvement in the long run.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #30
done88
Veteran

I think the defense will not be as good as last year. Although we have added a little more talent, we have subtracted a lot of unity and heart. They may eventually be better for these additions but next year a bad defense will get worse.
Old 04-29-2005   #31
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis37
Im supprised that 2 people voted for 6-10... We may improve on def this year, but thats a hell of a jump!
I'm one of them and yeah, it's optimistic. I think the biggest reason for my optimism is the 2002 defense and how quickly that group came together from nothing and started putting it on other teams. Capers & Co. created a really impressive defense in a short period of time and that defense got left hanging by our lousy offense so often it was a miracle that they looked as good as they did.

Some people might look at that group and say "Yeah but they were a bunch of veterans" and that's certainly a good point. We did have some very good veterans playing for us in year one but that's true today as well. This 2005 version is brand new in several places but you've got a few guys in each group that have years together now.

On the line Walker and Payne have been together a long time and Smith is in his second season. We're incorporating a rookie in the rotation but that's pretty much the extent of our changes.

In the linebacking corp Babin is coming back for year 2 and so is Wong. Peek got some time last year so this isn't new to him. Greenwood is a vet coming from a good defense. Basically I see no reason why these guys won't come together pretty quickly.

Finally in the secondary you're really only talking about a change of one player from last season. Glenn is gone and Buchanon is in. Other than that the secondary is unchanged.

The Texans D is going to pick up where it left off last year but it'll be much more intense and much faster. Walker and Payne will both have very good years. Payne because he'll be healthy again, Walker because TJ scares him and might take his job. More important than all of that stuff above will be the performance of the Texans offense. For the first season in this teams existence the offense will not be the biggest enemy of the defense. I predict that playing with a lead will not be nearly so rare a thing in 2005 as it's been in the past. This year the Texans D is going to get to pin it's ears back for a change.

6-10 I think will happen. Closer to 10 and might miss it by a hair and do an 11-12 but I think it's certainly possible.
Old 04-29-2005   #32
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

11 - 15

heckuva lot faster ....
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read