Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-10-2009   #21
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Mock drafts done a year in advance have even less credibility than mock drafts being done right now (if that's possible).

It's like putting out college football preseason rankings the day after the national championship game (Mark Schlabach).
I'm not saying that any mock drafts have credibility, because they don't, but that he has the talent to be a good to great player. Something happened over the course of the season though which brought his stock down considerably. With that said, what scares me is that he fell from having a high draft consideration to a early mid-round guy while playing on USC's stellar defense. Most guys should benefit from that D, and alot did, but not him for some reason, and it kind of scares me.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
After looking at Kipers overall draft I have to say I think he has lost it. There are a lot of picks I just cant see.
Hey, he's the guy who called us Texans crazy - on national TV - for not taking Reggie Bush.
MelHairGel's picks will always be suspect as far as I'm concerned.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #23
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Hey, he's the guy who called us Texans crazy - on national TV - for not taking Reggie Bush.
MelHairGel's picks will always be suspect as far as I'm concerned.
The problem with Kiper is and always has been that he doesn't scout the players. He really knows nothing about them.

He talks to scouts, GM's, and other members of organizations to form his opinions. This all sounds great except that those guys all have jobs and if they only told him the truth then all the other 31 teams would know everything about these guys. So they feed him smokescreen crap too and he eats it up.

Kiper has good connections within the NFL community and often gets very good, very real information. But during this time of year, half the crap he hears is just that, crap.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kiper has good connections within the NFL community and often gets very good, very real information. But during this time of year, half the crap he hears is just that, crap.

I will always remember him saying that there was absolutely no way that HWWNBN and Joey Harrington would be busts.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #25
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I will always remember him saying that there was absolutely no way that HWWNBN and Joey Harrington would be busts.
let's not forget his man-love for Brady Quinn...
Cleveland replaced us as his hate-target because they took Joe Thomas instead of Quinn with that first pick.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #26
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105596 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
I remember right after the 2008 Draft, there were numerous mock drafts for 2009, and Fili Moala was in the top 10 on nearly all of them. I haven't paid attention to him at all this year, so I don't know if it's injuries or what, but he dropped off a looooong way for some reason, and that kinda scares me.
Lawrence Jackson and Sedrick Ellis both left the defensive line for the first round and we had poor replacements for them, with Clay Matthews finally getting to start at DE/OLB after the Oregon State debacle. Fili did a good job of holding up at the line and keeping blockers off Rey and Cush but didn't make many plays on his own.

Fili will be a great space-eater at DT in the NFL and could offer some beef next to Okoye. Ron Brace could work as well but he will be gone in the second round and probably doesn't have the burst needed for the Texans defense
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

he has no idea how good Mike Thomas is or that David Anderson has locked up the slot WR position moving forward for Texans
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #28
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
let's not forget his man-love for Brady Quinn...
Cleveland replaced us as his hate-target because they took Joe Thomas instead of Quinn with that first pick.
Didn't he call out the Indianapolis GM for taking Peyton Manning instead of Ryan Leaf? And didn't the Indy GM come on air & rip him a new one? I don't remember if it was Leaf, but I do remember the verbal exchange that took place. Why is it that no one brings that exchange up on ESPN?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #29
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Didn't he call out the Indianapolis GM for taking Peyton Manning instead of Ryan Leaf? And didn't the Indy GM come on air & rip him a new one? I don't remember if it was Leaf, but I do remember the verbal exchange that took place. Why is it that no one brings that exchange up on ESPN?
I don't remember exactly what happened and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

I don't remember if it was Manning over Leaf or if it was a draft from a year previous to that, but I think a reporter told a GM that Mel Kiper said his pick will be a bust and asked him what he thought about that?

The guy basically said who the hell is Mel Kiper and why do I care?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #30
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't remember exactly what happened and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

I don't remember if it was Manning over Leaf or if it was a draft from a year previous to that, but I think a reporter told a GM that Mel Kiper said his pick will be a bust and asked him what he thought about that?

The guy basically said who the hell is Mel Kiper and why do I care?
Here it is. I guess it wasn't Manning, but the exchange was funny as hell. Click on the link to see a nice list of Kiper's blown calls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Kiper_Jr.

ESPN's coverage of the 1994 NFL draft was less than eight and a half minutes in, when Kiper said, "The Colts have to come out of this draft with a quarterback." Tennessee's Heath Shuler and Fresno State's Trent Dilfer were regarded as sure-fire future NFL stars, and Indianapolis' starter was Jim Harbaugh. The Colts wound up with two of the first five picks. With No. 2, they chose running back Marshall Faulk from San Diego State. With the fifth pick -- Shuler having gone to the Washington Redskins with the third pick -- the Colts were expected to take Dilfer. Instead, they chose Trev Alberts, a linebacker from Nebraska. Kiper's reaction to this was "To pass up a Trent Dilfer, when all you have is Jim Harbaugh -- give me a break. That's why the Colts are picking second every year in the draft, not battling for the Super Bowl like other clubs in the National Football League."[2]

Less than 10 minutes later, at a location away from the draft site, ESPN's Chris Mortensen was interviewing Colts general manager Bill Tobin. Mortensen asked a question about the Colts' bypassing a quarterback with their top-five choices. Mortensen didn't mention Kiper in his question to Tobin. Tobin's 55-second response was "We got a guy up here ... and who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? I mean, here's a guy who criticizes everybody, whoever they take. He's got the answers to who you should take, to who you shouldn't take. He tells us about your team. He tells us about the Rams. Mel Kiper is a tortoise. He tells us about Tampa and everything else. In my knowledge of him, he's never even put on a jockstrap, he's never been a player, he's never been a coach, he's never been a scout, he's never been an administrator, and all of a sudden, he's an expert. He's in our paper two days ago, telling us who we have to take. We don't have to take anybody that Mel Kiper says we have to take. Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets to the NFL."[3]

Kiper responded to Tobin with a biting tirade that drew huge cheers from the fans in the gallery and wry smiles from Chris Berman and the other ESPN commentators "I'm secure in my position. Obviously, Bill Tobin's not very secure in his position. ... You cannot go with Jim Harbaugh and pass up Trent Dilfer. That's why the Colts are the laughingstock of the league year in and year out." [4]

Trev Alberts retired after three seasons. Dilfer was moderately successful at Tampa Bay, though after being unceremoniously cut by Tampa after six years, he went on to win Super Bowl XXXV as quarterback of the Baltimore Ravens and has been a respectable mentor to young quarterbacks ever since.

Colts' incumbent Jim Harbaugh led the NFL in passer rating in 1995 while taking the Colts to the AFC Championship Game. Harbaugh was voted to the Pro-Bowl by his NFL peers. That same year, Dilfer recorded 4 TDs and 18 INTs.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read