Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-09-2009   #1
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder

I don't have insider, so I can't see the whole thing, but Kuharsky put up the AFC South picks in his AFC South blog on ESPN..

Houston Texans

No. 15: Linebacker Brian Cushing, USC
No. 46: Defensive tackle Evander Hood, Missouri
No. 77: Cornerback Keenan Lewis, Oregon State
No. 112: Defensive end David Veikune, Hawaii
No. 122: Receiver Mike Thomas, Arizona

Now it seems we're back to Cushing, after it's been Matthews for a good month or two. What do y'all think?
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #2
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder

Not a bad draft. I could live with it. Hood would be a steal in the 2nd. The guy from Hawaii intruiges me.
Old 04-09-2009   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
I don't have insider, so I can't see the whole thing, but Kuharsky put up the AFC South picks in his AFC South blog on ESPN..

Houston Texans

No. 15: Linebacker Brian Cushing, USC
No. 46: Defensive tackle Evander Hood, Missouri
No. 77: Cornerback Keenan Lewis, Oregon State
No. 112: Defensive end David Veikune, Hawaii
No. 122: Receiver Mike Thomas, Arizona

Now it seems we're back to Cushing, after it's been Matthews for a good month or two. What do y'all think?
Yuck. I wish I could cherry pick this one. Cushing is not my guy but I wouldn't be upset with the pickup. DT 2nd round? WTF? That CB seems too much like Freddy B or Molden to waste that high of a pick on when we could grab a big RB or Oline depth or a better DE than Hawaii-guy. Priorities seem way out of order to me.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #4
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Heard that guy from Hawaii on Sirius w/ Tim and Pat (Moving the Chains). Seemed like a good kid who wants to get after the QB.

Surprised Kiper didn't pick a RB for us in the 1st 4 rounds.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, Veikune got run off the field at the Senior Bowl practices by the better OTs.

I don't have the resources that Kiper does, but I have him rated as a 6th rounder.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
Surprised Kiper didn't pick a RB for us in the 1st 4 rounds.
He did overlook that didn't he, good point. Otherwise its not a bad mock with him picking D in the first 3 rounds. He seems to understan which side of the ball the Texans need the most help at.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #7
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

what im surprised he picked up on is the WR. most mocks either have us taking Maclin in the first or not at all. i remember there was a post a while back that the texans were interested in a couple of guys whose stock has now risen out of our price range (Robiskie maybe?) and i'm surprised that he remembered it. the lack of RB is very disturbing though.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2009   #8
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Kiper Mock Draft

15. Houston Texans (8-8)

Brian Cushing, OLB, USC: Cushing's ability to fit both inside and outside is the reason I've always viewed him as a surefire first-rounder.

I like the pick. Just wondering why Clay Matthews isnt even mentioned as a first rounder anymore...
Old 04-09-2009   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kiper Mock Draft

I'm not really crazy about the pick of Cushing but he's definitely better suited for the position of SLB than Matthews. I'd prefer a CB like Jenkins, Butler, or Alphonso Smith.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #10
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

After looking at Kipers overall draft I have to say I think he has lost it. There are a lot of picks I just cant see.
Old 04-09-2009   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm not really crazy about the pick of Cushing but he's definitely better suited for the position of SLB than Matthews. .
how so?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm not really crazy about the pick of Cushing but he's definitely better suited for the position of SLB than Matthews. I'd prefer a CB like Jenkins, Butler, or Alphonso Smith.
Agree with both of you points - Cushing appears to be the better prospect at SAM and taking a corner is now a prefered pick with it lookin more and more like D-Rob might be history in these parts before long.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
IIRC, Veikune got run off the field at the Senior Bowl practices by the better OTs.

I don't have the resources that Kiper does, but I have him rated as a 6th rounder.
What do you want for a fifth rounder ? He works hard and he is an effort guy. And unlike Micheal Johnson.....he makes more plays than his numbers suggest he should make.....always, always take the over achiever low rather than an under achiever high.

Ziggy's strength is his spin move....He isn't very good versus the run. They got their chips on Okoye once again and Kollar.
Old 04-10-2009   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Personally, I'd rather take a CB in the first two rounds. A projected starter at the position. I think we have solid corners, in Reeves, Bennett, and Dunta, but we need a play maker at that position. A play maker in pass defense, not the run stopper we have in Dunta.

Then I'd like to see a LB with the other pick.
Old 04-10-2009   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Personally, I'd rather take a CB in the first two rounds. A projected starter at the position. I think we have solid corners, in Reeves, Bennett, and Dunta, but we need a play maker at that position. A play maker in pass defense, not the run stopper we have in Dunta.

Then I'd like to see a LB with the other pick.
Well unfortunately....it's a down class for corners....anyone you take will be sitting until October. Whether it's the first round guy or the fourth round guy. Not one will beat out an incumbent out of camp. Not one.
And your problem is you do not believe in what they have.....and Rick and Kubes do. And you've got it backwards....take the play makers first....not the BPA you know will be riding the pine.
Old 04-10-2009   #16
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
What do you want for a fifth rounder ? He works hard and he is an effort guy. And unlike Micheal Johnson.....he makes more plays than his numbers suggest he should make.....always, always take the over achiever low rather than an under achiever high.

Ziggy's strength is his spin move....He isn't very good versus the run. They got their chips on Okoye once again and Kollar.
I think Fili Moala in the 3rd would be a steal at DT. A big beefy frame that draws plenty of comparrisons to Vince Wilfork, if not nearly up to that level
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

Pretty sure he had Veikune at #112, which is our first pick in the 4th. I like him as a guy. He works hard, motor is always running. But I want talent in the 4th. Did Rudy ever get drafted out of Notre Dame? If he is there in the 5th or 6th then I'm all for it. I could get behind that, but there are better players at #112.

Hood looks like the prototypical Cover 2 DT. A little weak against the run but he can collapse the pocket and get pressure on the QB. If my analysis is right, then that means Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Minnesota will all be targeting the guy. They all run Tampa 2 as a base coverage shell.
Old 04-10-2009   #18
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I think Fili Moala in the 3rd would be a steal at DT. A big beefy frame that draws plenty of comparrisons to Vince Wilfork, if not nearly up to that level
I remember right after the 2008 Draft, there were numerous mock drafts for 2009, and Fili Moala was in the top 10 on nearly all of them. I haven't paid attention to him at all this year, so I don't know if it's injuries or what, but he dropped off a looooong way for some reason, and that kinda scares me.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
I remember right after the 2008 Draft, there were numerous mock drafts for 2009, and Fili Moala was in the top 10 on nearly all of them. I haven't paid attention to him at all this year, so I don't know if it's injuries or what, but he dropped off a looooong way for some reason, and that kinda scares me.
Mock drafts done a year in advance have even less credibility than mock drafts being done right now (if that's possible).

It's like putting out college football preseason rankings the day after the national championship game (Mark Schlabach).
Old 04-10-2009   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Mock drafts done a year in advance have even less credibility than mock drafts being done right now (if that's possible).

It's like putting out college football preseason rankings the day after the national championship game (Mark Schlabach).
OTOH, I remember seeing a mock immediately after the 2005 college football season that had DeMeco Ryans ranked at 10. Then, for some reason, he dropped.

In that case, I think they got his value more correct early than they did late. Not that I'm complaining with how that turned out.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read