Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-02-2009   #21
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Goat's Early April Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I would be for the trade down that you suggested Goat. With the trade down we probably would have our choice of A.Smith or Butler. I would prefer Butler but would be OK with Smith.

With th extra 4th & 6th we could draft Ringer & G. Johnson & a OLB or P with the 6th.

I would love to get G.Johnson & believe he will be available in the 5th.

The punter we can get late is Dustin Colquitt, he is from the punting family of Colquitts from Tennesee.
I forgot Detroit traded their 4th to Dallas this year. Whoops.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #22
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Not a huge fan of spending your 1st 3 picks on a weak class of DBs. I like the Alphonso Smith pick, I even like the Rashad Johnson pick, but getting Hamlin in the 3rd is just overkill.

The coaches are high on Domonique Barber and we just resigned Nick Ferguson. That pick would be better used on a RB/C/DE/OLB imo.

Otherwise, good mock!!!
Old 04-02-2009   #23
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Not a huge fan of spending your 1st 3 picks on a weak class of DBs. I like the Alphonso Smith pick, I even like the Rashad Johnson pick, but getting Hamlin in the 3rd is just overkill.

The coaches are high on Domonique Barber and we just resigned Nick Ferguson. That pick would be better used on a RB/C/DE/OLB imo.

Otherwise, good mock!!!
If Sidbury is still hanging around in the 3rd I'd probably go with him over Hamlin. I see him going late second-early third though.

Chris Baker is still a possibility there, but they already have Okoye, Johnson, Cody, Robinson, and Okam, with Smith rotating inside on passing downs.

I see Brown, Greene, and maybe Jennings being gone by the time we pick. My next rated RB is Ringer who I took in the 4th.

Luigs is the only C I see going in the third. He got pushed around at the senior bowl, and lacks the kind of strength/power that everyone wants in the middle of the Texans line. I could see us taking him on his potential, but I don't think he'll be an immediate upgrade over Myers.

I don't know what the coaches saw in Barber that makes them happy, but I clearly missed it. Ferguson is a stop gap as a starter, and isn't strong in coverage, or much of a playmaker.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 04-02-2009   #24
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

Otherwise, good mock!!!
thank you.
Old 04-02-2009   #25
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
No team in their right mind is going to give up a 2nd round pick just to trade up a few spots. We'll be lucky to even get a 3rd round pick with a trade down in this year's draft. It's a very weak year for 1st round talent.
You are dead wrong about this. First of all, for a team to trade up 10-12 spots to #15, the chart says that we are getting about 20-50 points too little. Besides that, there is almost always someone in the middle of the first round that teams see as good value. Who expected Baltimore to trade up for Flacco last year? Odd are good, that a team will be enchanted with one of the three QBs still on the board, one of the top 3 RBs, a WR like Maclin or Bey, one of the OTs, or somebody else. We certainly will have an opportunity to get a reasonable deal. The question is whether we take it or not.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #26
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Smith, love this pick, possibly the best man cover CB in the draft along with Darius Butler. Great pick and gives us leverage with Dunta.
2. Johnson, love the player but question the pick since we've got Wilson as starting FS and the 2nd round is too early to be taking backups at any position.
3. Hamlin, love this pick, good SS especially in pass coverage which is what we need.
4. Ringer, ehhhhh, right position wrong player. I'd rather have James Davis but Ringers not a bad pick.
4. McRath, great pick but I doubt he's still available in the late 4th, super value if he still is though.
5. Miller, I don't know much about him but the little I've read is positive.
6. Levy, great pick and value if he's still available but I doubt he's still there in the 6th.
7. Vollmer, I don't know much about him but he definetly fills a need.

Overall very good draft but I think FS in the 2nd is to early for a backup and there's no interior O-line help. The 2nd or 3rd round would be a good place for a C/G. McRath and Levy would both be great picks if we could pull that off.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #27
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
1. Smith, love this pick, possibly the best man cover CB in the draft along with Darius Butler. Great pick and gives us leverage with Dunta.
2. Johnson, love the player but question the pick since we've got Wilson as starting FS and the 2nd round is too early to be taking backups at any position.
3. Hamlin, love this pick, good SS especially in pass coverage which is what we need.
4. Ringer, ehhhhh, right position wrong player. I'd rather have James Davis but Ringers not a bad pick.
4. McRath, great pick but I doubt he's still available in the late 4th, super value if he still is though.
5. Miller, I don't know much about him but the little I've read is positive.
6. Levy, great pick and value if he's still available but I doubt he's still there in the 6th.
7. Vollmer, I don't know much about him but he definetly fills a need.

Overall very good draft but I think FS in the 2nd is to early for a backup and there's no interior O-line help. The 2nd or 3rd round would be a good place for a C/G. McRath and Levy would both be great picks if we could pull that off.
I think Wilson is just an ok starter who the Texans overpaid to keep. Last year was his first multiple INT year since 2004, and he came here after not being able to make the Bucs roster as their 5th corner. I think he would end up as Johnson's backup, and insurance in case of injury at safety/corner. At 29, on a three year deal without a lot of guaranteed money he's probably going to be cut in a year or two anyways. I'd rather grab a guy I think can be here playing at a Pro Bowl level for the next 7-10years while I have the opportunity.

Old 04-05-2009   #28
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Consensus Draft Services has the Texans taking Malcom Jenkins at #15 in their mock draft.

http://cdsdraft.com/

If the Texans cannot trade down and get someone like Smith, I hope that Jenkins is available and that the Texans take him at #15.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read