Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2005   #41
outofhnd
All Pro

We are building through the draft not building off the spare parts we recieved in the expansion draft. We will keep the talent we draft eventually replace all the parts we got in the expansion draft.

This is what we call "building a perennial contender" that means a good team for a long time. They have built this team by far much better than the browns.

The browns have yet to produce a 1000 yd rusher we produced that the last 2 years.

The Browns have not sent anyone to the pro-bowl (i think) We sent AJ

The browns have gone thru 3 coaching staffs in 6 years. We havent fired a coach at all.

The Browns best year was a wildcard i believe their record was 9-7 and that was year 4 after that utter disarray.

We are doing this right people lets not cling to these spare parts we are jettisoning just because they were once pro bowlers.
Old 04-27-2005   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyTim
i like the effort but the fact remains the texans are no closer to the playoffs or the SB than they were in 2002. Casserly has done a terrible job in my view and i know my view is not shared by everyone. Sharper and Glenn were the two most consistent players on D that kept the D together. I like Dunta, AJ and DD but i am not sold on Carr or anyone else he has brought in. I really think the Babin trade and the TJohnson trade have crystalized my view that we need to go the way of the Browns and rebuild with a new GM. We wont be winning the AFC South this yr and i think the playoffs are a reach too.
Who's we kimosabe? You aren't even a Texans fan--you just come here to sow dissension. At least be honest about your affiliation.
Old 04-27-2005   #43
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
And just how, praytell, are they going to do that? Sure, we all HOPE that the O-Line, having had another year to 'jell' in the Zone-blocking system will improve, but that's an awfully iffy proposition. We wouldn't have tried so hard for O. Pace, if there wasn't a HUGE upside in that equation. .
Deleted most of the post to save space. Just wanted a reference to what I'm talking about.
Our team DID make some huge strides in 2004. When you factor in the fact that we are STILL an expansion team(starting to get out of that mold...maybe the reason for the 5 yr plan?) and that we started practically a new O-line(AND NEW SCHEME), we did "light it up" quite a few times last year. We started this team with everybody elses cast-offs, street FA's and draft picks. As we've been drafting for 4 yrs now, we'v e drastically improved our team. And with 2 more wins(and several near misses), we've improved our standings each year. A lot of people on here seem to be looking for the "home run". Maybe we're asking too much too soon. A lot of teams with MUCH longer histories finished with worse records than us last year. IMHO, the coaching staff has done a great job of fielding a respectable team and is doing a great job of improving the team, while managing the salary cap for future developement.
Old 04-28-2005   #44
outofhnd
All Pro

Great Point.

Id rather be a perennial playoff team, than 1 superbowl and nothing. Capers made that mistake with carolina. he went for the homerun and got close and then everything fell apart.
Old 04-28-2005   #45
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i'm so excited about all the new faces on our team, i got a job where i'm now off on sundays, i saw all the games at my other job, everyone there loves the team, BUT now i can watch the game and relax so happy !! CANT WAIT TILL AUGUST.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #46
LBblitz
Veteran

Grid for mayor!
Old 04-28-2005   #47
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
Id rather be a perennial playoff team, than 1 superbowl and nothing. Capers made that mistake with carolina. he went for the homerun and got close and then everything fell apart.
I'm all for that, but first we actually have to MAKE the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBblitz
Grid for mayor!
Only after we have a recount... :woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Why does everything have to be negative? why dont you just go look at the stats?
Alright, but since we were discussing OFFENSIVE scoring stats, let's be ACCURATE this time, shall we? Mind you, I'm even crediting the offense with the XP after the DEFENSIVE TD.

24 against KC - NOPE - Our OFFENSE only scored 18
30 against Oak - NOPE - Our OFFENSE only scored 24
20 against Jac - NOPE - Our OFFENSE only scored 14
24 agaisnt Chi - NOPE - Our OFFENSE only scored 18
21 against Jac - NOPE - Our OFFENSE only scored 15

This is precisely why Porky and Myself pointed out that our Offense wasn't scaring anyone last year. I'm not even going to get into the late scoring in "garbage time" that skews the stats even further. Until we have better blocking for both our running AND passing game, this team is still gonna be in a world of hurt. I'm truly praying that the "football gods" will shine on our O-Line, because they certainly need some kind of 'divine' inspiration!
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #48
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Porky]That is one of the most convoluted theories I have ever heard. So, you mean to tell me we got rid of Shaper and Glenn because they could only deliver us a mere one or two Superbowls. Well, those losers.

the key word in my original statement is may. go back and read again. the theory is sound, we keep sharper and glenn and we compete for a couple years or we release them and have the opportunity to win more. what don't you understand about the post dude? this is what i said

"keeping guys like glenn and sharper may have gotten us to the superbowl once, maybe twice at the most. that is the five year plan. by adding younger players, it will make it alot easier for the texans to get to more than 1 superbowl"

you should pay attention to keywords like may and at most, not exactly what you said i said. you're criticism is a typical straw man fallacy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

1. Person A has position X.
2. Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
3. Person B attacks position Y.
4. Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself. One might as well expect an attack on a poor drawing of a person to hurt the person.

Last edited by ATX; 04-28-2005 at 03:00 AM.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read