Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2005   #41
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Glad I got to listen to Aaron Glenn's interview on 610 yesterday. He shed light on the situation very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman8
AG asked for his release; according to AG on 610 afternoon show (Tuesday) Texans wanted him to stay on. As someone said earlier, AG was probably afraid he would get cut; this way he can control his destiny.
Yes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj
Not sure if it was also posted before, but AG said the Texans told him a while back that they might be looking at a corner in the draft. From what Aaron said, he would probably have stayed on if they brought in a rookie corner but when they got Buchanon, he decided not to take the reduced role here. Aaron was making it sound as if he couldn't beat out Faggins, much less Buchanon.
And yes .. It was classy of the Texans to move him and do it now.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #42
Bayern
Veteran

Default Question about the Glenn release

After listening to Aaron Glenn on 610 Yesterday I'm convinced this was a good move for both Glenn and Houston. We get some money free, he goes to a "win now" team and stays close enough to home. Everyone is happy!

My question is really about the money we freed up by letting him go. I might be wrong but aren't we only suffering a million dollar cap hit with this release? If thats the case do you see Houston making another move for an available free agent with the extra dough?
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #43
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that all of the signing bonus he recieved had previously been spread out so that it impacted each year of his contract, cap wise. With his release, the total amout of the bonus counts against this years cap. The wisdom in the release of Sharper, Foreman, and AG is that all of their bonus money is accelerated onto this years cap where we have the room, and there will be no effect on our cap by any of their contracts after this season. We will benefit the most from the releases (cap-wise) next season.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayern
My question is really about the money we freed up by letting him go. I might be wrong but aren't we only suffering a million dollar cap hit with this release? If thats the case do you see Houston making another move for an available free agent with the extra dough?
The Texans are saving about 500K on the cap--Glenn was scheduled to make $4 mil which comes off the cap, but $3.5 mil of pro-rated signing bonus has to be accounted for as dead money on the cap for a net savings of 500K.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read