Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-24-2009   #41
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Da General's 1st Round Mock 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Mathews was less productive than Maualuga. 29 solo tackles vs 51. He even had the benefit of teams having to focus on all the superior players around him, and still couldn't keep up.
Only tackles matter? Mathews had 6.5 more TFL, 4.5 more sacks, and 2 more FF. I would argue that despite the tackles, Mathews was more productive.

Quote:
Who thought of Mays as a top 10 pick? Some experts said he could be if he went back to school and showed he could be a star, but I've never heard anybody say he was going to be a high pick this year. His size and athleticism turns heads, but he has a long way to go before being taken in the top 20, much less top 10.
Lots of people, especially on this board. A lot of people here wanted him, but didn't think he would make it to 15.

Quote:
Funny how the Ravens and Stealers are great defenses, but still have guys near the top of the league in statistics pretty much every year.
So USC didn't have a great defense? Or Cushing, Mays, and Maualuga aren't great players?

Quote:
Mathews' 1 year of experience isn't really even as a traditional 4-3 OLB. USC runs a base 4-3 under, which puts the WILL linebacker over the A gap like a 3-4 BULL ILB.
I'm aware of the type of defense that USC runs. Mathews got playing time in 47 games while he was at USC. He was only a starter for one year, but he still saw the field.

I'm not advocating that Mathews should be our #1 choice in the first round. But I don't think we should throw out the possibility that he might be.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #42
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Only tackles matter? Mathews had 6.5 more TFL, 4.5 more sacks, and 2 more FF. I would argue that despite the tackles, Mathews was more productive.
I can see the argument, but Maualuga doesn't exactly have great stats either.

Pile Jumper had 130 tackles on a top 15 defense.

Quote:
Lots of people, especially on this board. A lot of people here wanted him, but didn't think he would make it to 15.
Can't say I'd be too excited about him as a 2009 prospect except his size and athleticism. He needs to show he can be a play-maker. Since he went back to school I'm guessing he heard the same from his advisers.

Quote:
So USC didn't have a great defense? Or Cushing, Mays, and Maualuga aren't great players?
USC had a great defense. A case of the whole being more than the sum of it's parts. Cushing, and Maualuga are good, but not great college players that I don't think will be more than quality starters in the NFL. Mays has great potential, but certainly isn't great yet.

Quote:
I'm not advocating that Mathews should be our #1 choice in the first round. But I don't think we should throw out the possibility that he might be.
I'd prefer that they did. Not just because I think he's an early-mid second 3-4 linebacker, but because I don't see how he's an upgrade over Diles.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #43
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can see the argument, but Maualuga doesn't exactly have great stats either.

Pile Jumper had 130 tackles on a top 15 defense.
That's fine. I just wanted to see how you compared the two statistically. Nobody on USC's defense had great stats, IMO.

Quote:
Can't say I'd be too excited about him as a 2009 prospect except his size and athleticism. He needs to show he can be a play-maker. Since he went back to school I'm guessing he heard the same from his advisers.
That's essentially the same thing I posted when he chose to go back to school. You watch the USC games and Mays just never shows up anywhere. I know he plays deep safety for them in some of their coverages, but I think he has performed below his talent level thus far.

Quote:
USC had a great defense. A case of the whole being more than the sum of it's parts. Cushing, and Maualuga are good, but not great college players that I don't think will be more than quality starters in the NFL. Mays has great potential, but certainly isn't great yet.
Agreed in full. Good discussion.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #44
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Agreed in full. Good discussion.
What? That's it? You're just going to agree with me?

This is the internet! That's never happened before.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #45
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mathews' 1 year of experience isn't really even as a traditional 4-3 OLB. USC runs a base 4-3 under, which puts the WILL linebacker over the A gap like a 3-4 BULL ILB.

Matthews played the weak side stand up DE, or elephant position last season. Jeff Lageman played it when Carroll was with the Jets. Ricky Jackson was the elephant when Pete ran the Niners defense (during Kubiak's stint in SF). Willie McGinest played that spot during Carroll's years with the Pats. All were DE/LB tweeners. Matthews projects as a slightly undersized 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3 linebacker. No matter what John McClain says.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read