Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2005   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I don't like big, easy to hit backs without much elusiveness. I've been one of the few people who have stated we aren't looking for a big back like everyone thinks.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #22
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
No, I don't like big, easy to hit backs without much elusiveness. I've been one of the few people who have stated we aren't looking for a big back like everyone thinks.
I agree. To me, those are "3rd down" backs, not franchise backs. We don't need that right now.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #23
TigerBait
Veteran

Backs like DD and Morency are smaller backs with slide-like ellusive ability, and the personal reason i like backs like this is because they often get lost in the pack of lineman and defensive guys flying around the field during the play, and i think backs like this fit the zone blocking scheme very well. Bigger backs that run downhill can be successful in zone blocking (Droughns), but our OL isnt neccessarily overpowering or escpeccially quick and speedy for OL.
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #24
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX
I agree. To me, those are "3rd down" backs, not franchise backs. We don't need that right now.
My point as well. You backs have to have some wiggle and not allow defenders to get a clean hit on you.
Old 04-25-2005   #25
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc564
...' a disappointment since we drafted him'
...' Hope they keep Hollings'
...' when not injured'

to follow your logic of thinking, bet the Texans win more games this
year if they out score the opponent...
I like my "logic of thinking". I personally call it "logical thinking". And all Houston sports teams are undefeated when leading at the end of the game. Take THAT to the bank. LOL
Old 04-25-2005   #26
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
I like my "logic of thinking". I personally call it "logical thinking". And all Houston sports teams are undefeated when leading at the end of the game. Take THAT to the bank. LOL
Lol, that is the smartest thing I have ever heard, no joking around. Its a real eye opener. :woot I have much to learn.
Old 04-25-2005   #27
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Just some food for thought on the "big back" Vs. "small back" discussion... Of the top 10 rushers in league history, how many are considered "big", and how many "small"? I'm way too lazy to do the research myself, but I don't think Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, or Barry Sanders qualify as "big". Unless you look at their numbers. I think "heart"(also known as desire, try and want-to)play a much more important part than physical stature. I HATE Dallas, but, man, have you ever seen more pure "heart" from a RB than Smith?? How many RB's actually SLOWED DOWN, like Earl Campbell, so they could hit a defender?? The desire to succeed, AFTER the big pay days, and be the best at what you do is what seperates the "Great" backs from the rest of the pack.IMO
Old 04-25-2005   #28
DocBar
Hall of Fame

I guess I'm not that lazy after all. Here's a link to the top 10 rushers in NFL history. Looks to me that only 2 are "classic BIG backs". 3 if you think Curtis Martin is a big back. So much for the "small back can't hack it" theory.
Old 04-26-2005   #29
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

morency just got jersey number 34...wonder if he'll live up to the number
Old 04-26-2005   #30
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
morency just got jersey number 34...wonder if he'll live up to the number
I'm just hoping he does a better job than the last Texan who wore than number.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read