Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-20-2009   #81
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Member Mock Rounds 4-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Agreed. But there are alot who thought or still think that they would take Curry or should take Curry. BigBull17 took him in the last draft, and some members thought I should have taken him in this draft.

So we are down to Stafford, Smith and Monroe. The media makes Monroe look like he is fading though.
I think it would be a good idea to take Curry. I just never thought they would.

IMO, it will come down to Smith and Stafford. If they're smart, they will take Smith.

If they bring a rookie QB into that offense, he will get slaughtered. And if they draft a QB early and make him sit the bench, then they have effectively wasted a first round pick. They are a team that can't afford something like that. They need guys that can make an impact on day one.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #82
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think it would be a good idea to take Curry. I just never thought they would.

IMO, it will come down to Smith and Stafford. If they're smart, they will take Smith.

If they bring a rookie QB into that offense, he will get slaughtered. And if they draft a QB early and make him sit the bench, then they have effectively wasted a first round pick. They are a team that can't afford something like that. They need guys that can make an impact on day one.
They can still get impact players at 20 and 33. Yes, if they get Stafford and insert him into the lineup he will get killed. But getting a franchise QB is worth sitting him for a year while letting Culpepper and Stanton take the lumps.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #83
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They can still get impact players at 20 and 33. Yes, if they get Stafford and insert him into the lineup he will get killed. But getting a franchise QB is worth sitting him for a year while letting Culpepper and Stanton take the lumps.
I would agree with that if I thought Stafford was a franchise QB.

I think he will get drafted too high just because he is the best QB in the class. I don't see him as a franchise QB, just a guy with a really strong arm, lots of experience, mediocre accuracy, and not much between the ears.
Old 03-20-2009   #84
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and not much between the ears.
I haven't heard anything about him being smart, dumb, good learner, learning disability. Have you read or heard something to give you this impression of him?
Old 03-20-2009   #85
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Lions are on crack if they don't pick a LT at #1.

I really do think though, that the era of stupid is over up there. I think Schwartz will be a "build front to back" guy, and that he'll get that franchise off the mat.

For me it's pretty simple - the best LT available is more of a sure thing than the best QB available, and the financial side plays into it as well.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #86
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

David Bruton Safety Notre Dame is off the board. Bears third round pick.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #87
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about him being smart, dumb, good learner, learning disability. Have you read or heard something to give you this impression of him?
I don't think he was implying that the guy is dumb just that he makes some really stupid decisions sometimes. I would agree with that because he really reminds me of Jamarcus Russell in that he has a cannon arm and that's pretty much it. Other than his arm nothing about him impresses me and my philosophy is to draft QB's by accuracy not power. He will go high by virtue of being the #1 rated QB in the class, but he is no "franchise QB" IMO.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #88
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Via PM from Wolverinefan with the 99th pick in the draft the St. Louis Rams select... Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty.
Thanks for posting my pick JC. I don't know if this pick suprises anyone, but Steven Jackson gets way too much work these days and the Rams don't really have a reliable option to back him up. Jennings was the best back left on my board and I really think he would be a great addition as the backup. I could have gone defense with this pick, but I was just to tempted by Jennings.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #89
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I think the Lions are on crack if they don't pick a LT at #1.

I really do think though, that the era of stupid is over up there. I think Schwartz will be a "build front to back" guy, and that he'll get that franchise off the mat.

For me it's pretty simple - the best LT available is more of a sure thing than the best QB available, and the financial side plays into it as well.
I hope for the Lions fans that the era of stupid is over as well, but what makes you think Jim Schwartz, or the coaching staff makes that decision? I was reading a blog by him where the coaches were flat out telling him they would love to have him but that they don't make the decision. Schwartz may give his opinion, make requests, but i think the front office will ultimately make the choice.
Old 03-20-2009   #90
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's not what I was implying.

His biggest asset (besides arm strength) is supposed to be that he is battle tested in the best conference in the nation.

But against SEC teams last year he threw 12 TDs and 8 INTs.

I don't think he is accurate enough, I don't think he can read defenses well enough, and I think he takes too many risks. Thus, I don't see him as a franchise QB.
Old 03-20-2009   #91
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I was unaware the Rams had made their pick. Sorry for the hold up.

In hopes to solidify the right OT position, with the 100th pick the Cleveland Browns select:

T.J. Lang, OT Eastern Michigan

His nasty demeanor will be welcomed by the Browns and should project to a nice bookend to Joe Thomas.
Old 03-20-2009   #92
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
That's not what I was implying.

His biggest asset (besides arm strength) is supposed to be that he is battle tested in the best conference in the nation.

But against SEC teams last year he threw 12 TDs and 8 INTs.

I don't think he is accurate enough, I don't think he can read defenses well enough, and I think he takes too many risks. Thus, I don't see him as a franchise QB.
Ok. Normally when someone says someone doesn't have much between the ears, you are implying they are not smart.
Old 03-20-2009   #93
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Darnit... Jennings would have made my draft even sweeter. Why do the Rams need him when they have Stephen Jackson?

Last edited by Shaft75; 03-20-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #94
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Darnit... Jennings would have made my draft even sweeter. Why does the Rams need him when they have Stephen Jackson?
By that logic, why would the Texans need him when we have Steve Slaton?
Old 03-20-2009   #95
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok. Normally when someone says someone doesn't have much between the ears, you are implying they are not smart.
Yeah. Sorry for the bad description.

I don't think he is a dumb guy or anything. I just don't think he will turn out to be a franchise QB in the NFL, especially if he is on the Lions.
Old 03-20-2009   #96
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Thanks for posting my pick JC. I don't know if this pick suprises anyone, but Steven Jackson gets way too much work these days and the Rams don't really have a reliable option to back him up. Jennings was the best back left on my board and I really think he would be a great addition as the backup. I could have gone defense with this pick, but I was just to tempted by Jennings.
Great pick btw.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #97
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
By that logic, why would the Texans need him when we have Steve Slaton?
They are completely different backs. Slaton is a burner and Jennings would be the force. Stephen Jackson can mix it up in the middle. Jennings and Jackson wouldn't compliment as well as Jennings and Slaton.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #98
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
They are completely different backs. Slaton is a burner and Jennings would be the force. Stephen Jackson can mix it up in the middle. Jennings and Jackson wouldn't compliment as well as Jennings and Slaton.
I don't buy the notion that a good RB combo needs one speed guy and one power guy. I would rather just have the two best guys I can get. That's just me though, I guess.
Old 03-20-2009   #99
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39290 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jennings is still a good pick at the top of the fourth round. He would be Jackson's backup if the Rams got him. Please don't complain about the pick just because Jennings didn't fall to you.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #100
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39290 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't buy the notion that a good RB combo needs one speed guy and one power guy. I would rather just have the two best guys I can get. That's just me though, I guess.
I agree... I personally wouldn't mind another Slaton type back on the Texans. Maybe Devin Moore in the fifth or sixth round out of Wyoming. He reminds me some of Sproles, short back that has a lot of speed.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read