Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-17-2009   #1
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Da General's 1st Round Mock 2.0

McClain's latest mancrush comes in at #15.

Quote:

Houston Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
After the Texans signed left defensive end Antonio Smith in free agency, they can turn their attention to outside linebacker or defensive tackle in the first round. Mississippi's Peria Jerry would be a nice addition at tackle, but Matthews can do so many things that he's more valuable in this spot. He's been on the rise since the Senior Bowl. He was terrific at the combine, running 4.62 in the 40, including an incredible 1.49 for the first 10 yards. He's 6-3, 245 and can play the strong or weak side.
McClain has gone completely gaga over Baby Matthews. He's never started at LB in 4 years, but Da General is certain Matthews can start at either OLB position. Matthews is a great story as a walkon with NFL bloodlines. As a 1st round pick, he's a monster gamble. I'm not a huge Brian Cushing fan, but he's much more accomplished as a football player than Clay, Jr. I can only hope this is wishful thinking from McClain (who still thinks the Texans will draft VY), and not something he's hearing out of Reliant Park.
Old 03-17-2009   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Da General's 1st Round Mock 2.0

I for one also like Matthews over Cushing, but it has exactly nothing to do with bloodlines. It has more to do with his hardnosed demeanor, work ethic, and I have to admit - that 10-yard split is very impressive. He can close on the ball like a mofo.

Also, his stock is already rising - and he hasn't had his Pro Day yet - so I won't be surprised at all if he's off the board before the Texans pick.

So yeah, McClain is man-crushin', but there are some valid reasons to like this guy. I don't think he'll be considered a reach at 15 at all by the time the Draft comes around.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #3
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny thing is is that for the most part his mock draft is reallistic compared to some other ones Iv'e seen. Matthews sounds good to me, if we can trade down and grab him thats even better.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take him over Cushing simply because I think Cushing has peeked .
Old 03-17-2009   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
So yeah, McClain is man-crushin', but there are some valid reasons to like this guy. I don't think he'll be considered a reach at 15 at all by the time the Draft comes around.
I can't think of a past 1st round pick who has accomplished less in 4 seasons than Matthews. You can make a case that Matt Jones had zero experience for the job he was drafted for. But, Jones was a decent college QB. Matthews was a special teamer for 3 years prior to playing a season as a standup DE. He has minimal experience at LB.

Maybe Cushing has peaked. In that way, he reminds of former 1st round LBs Chad Greenway and Bobby Carpenter. But, how many 5th year Seniors are drafted on potential? There's nothing Matthews has done on the field that would warrant a 1st round pick.
Old 03-17-2009   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I can't think of a past 1st round pick who has accomplished less in 4 seasons than Matthews. You can make a case that Matt Jones had zero experience for the job he was drafted for. But, Jones was a decent college QB. Matthews was a special teamer for 3 years prior to playing a season as a standup DE. He has minimal experience at LB.

Maybe Cushing has peaked. In that way, he reminds of former 1st round LBs Chad Greenway and Bobby Carpenter. But, how many 5th year Seniors are drafted on potential? There's nothing Matthews has done on the field that would warrant a 1st round pick.
I don't disagree with your reasoning, but the Combine and Pro Days have a ton of influence, whether you think it's valid or not.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't think of a past 1st round pick who has accomplished less in 4 seasons than Matthews. You can make a case that Matt Jones had zero experience for the job he was drafted for. But, Jones was a decent college QB. Matthews was a special teamer for 3 years prior to playing a season as a stand up DE. He has minimal experience at LB.

I tried to make this point a while back....with the additional teams switching 3-4 in the NFL...and the colleges covering the spread...just where the heck are our 4-3 OLBs supposed to come from Lucky ?

DE elephants in college or big SS who can convert. And it's not going to get any better next draft either. And just maybe his off season work is for real and we get something similar to Wilbur Marshal. And McClain wouldn't be putting this out there if he weren't getting sources saying that he is worth the pick. I'm not Pollyanna enough to not realize he sees the print value in the Mathews angle...but I also know he wouldn't be throwing out the Mathews smoke unless he had something more than just he feelings. His scout sources are teling him what he knows.

I also believe he knows who they are targeting at RB...and making a great effort at not revealing it.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-17-2009 at 11:55 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2009   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McClain has gone completely gaga over Baby Matthews. He's never started at LB in 4 years, but Da General is certain Matthews can start at either OLB position. Matthews is a great story as a walkon with NFL bloodlines. As a 1st round pick, he's a monster gamble. I'm not a huge Brian Cushing fan, but he's much more accomplished as a football player than Clay, Jr. I can only hope this is wishful thinking from McClain (who still thinks the Texans will draft VY), and not something he's hearing out of Reliant Park.
Here's the thing about Matthews (from my perspective). If he hasn't started at LB in 4 years, then I don't think the Texans will take a long look at him at 15. Kubiak knows that it's time to win now. If we draft a guy who hasn't started as a LB in college, it's doubtful he starts at LB as a pro as a rookie. He's not an immediate contributer. If the Texans and Kubiak are trying to win now (which he has to in order to continue being the head coach) then my guess is that they don't go after a guy who won't have an immediate impact his first season.

Of course maybe Kubiak and other NFL teams do seem him as being able to help out in a major way as a rookie.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain is a writer first, fan second & not a scout. his resoning is flawed & understanding of positions off target.

this is what the Texans will do - take their guy, which could be very different from the consensus.

so it doesnt matter diddly-squat if McClain or the herd for that matter chant Matthews or Cushing. Matthews does not have enough value to be selected 15th overall & Cushing is.....well..... not their kinda guy.

here are the guys who I think fit-
  • Peria Jerry
  • Aaron Maybin
  • Malcolm Jenkins
  • Evertte Brown

those are about it @ #15. now if they can trade down then thats a whole other story
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #10
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
McClain is a writer first, fan second & not a scout. his resoning is flawed & understanding of positions off target.

this is what the Texans will do - take their guy, which could be very different from the consensus.

so it doesnt matter diddly-squat if McClain or the herd for that matter chant Matthews or Cushing. Matthews does not have enough value to be selected 15th overall & Cushing is.....well..... not their kinda guy.

• Peria Jerry
  • Aaron Maybin
  • Malcolm Jenkins
  • Evertte Brown

those are about it @ #15. now if they can trade down then thats a whole other story

I know john, and when you say writer first I think you have to remember that, especially when considering the highlighted above. he knows his shit, trust me, and its hard to back him up when I know he sometimes argues points(best or not) just to brinng up good points. He knows how to write and get people to read and he knows his stuff, most of the time he just picks a story for a story(this is my opinion, nothinng is directly from him). Cut the man some slack he is a hall of fame NFL writer who has stuck with us for years, NFL team or not.....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I know john, and when you say writer first I think you have to remember that, especially when considering the highlighted above. he knows his shit, trust me, and its hard to back him up when I know he sometimes argues points(best or not) just to brinng up good points. He knows how to write and get people to read and he knows his stuff, most of the time he just picks a story for a story(this is my opinion, nothinng is directly from him). Cut the man some slack he is a hall of fame NFL writer who has stuck with us for years, NFL team or not.....
who's position does Matthews take a 4th rd (Adibi) or 7th rd (Diles) pick? where's the VALUE in THAT?

conversly take Peria Jerry, thats a 1st for a 1st be it Amobi (10th) or Travis (16th) tell me excatly how Matthews adds so much more value to the 15th pick when its easier to address those needs later
Old 03-18-2009   #12
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
who's position does Matthews take a 4th rd (Adibi) or 7th rd (Diles) pick? where's the VALUE in THAT?

conversly take Peria Jerry, thats a 1st for a 1st be it Amobi (10th) or Travis (16th) tell me excatly how Matthews adds so much more value to the 15th pick when its easier to address those needs later
Im backing his status, not his opinions that he chooses to publisize....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. For obvious reasons I have edited this. What can I say, it's the Catalina Wine Mixer.

Last edited by YoungTexanFan; 03-18-2009 at 12:22 PM.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Id post soomething intelgent to your thread but i need a nap before mre green. I even saw a lepercan.

I have a feeling both of you guys will be peeing green tomorrow.

Last edited by mussop; 03-18-2009 at 06:45 AM.
mussop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

• Peria Jerry
  • Aaron Maybin
  • Malcolm Jenkins
  • Evertte Brown

First off you say that McClain is a writer first, fan second & not a scout. his resoning is flawed & understanding of positions off target.

Then you say "this is what the Texans will do". No offence but YOU are also a fan first and not a scout.

Next: The Texans want there first round picks to start. I think that is a given. If so you can take E Brown and A Maybin off that list. I doubt Jenkins will be available. That leaves only Jerry from youre list. Now who do you think has a better chance of starting, Mathews or Perry?

Before you answer that question consider these quotes from McClain

Scouts tell me he could end up being the best of the USC linebackers. He's faster and quicker off the ball. He's smart. He works hard.

Because every scout I talk to -- and I don't mean reporters who do mock drafts or rank players -- tells me Matthews is a better prospect.

Also consider that Perry is 25 years old.

Also consider that Perry will have to beat out Okoye (#10 pick overall) whos greatest attribute is perfect for what our new DC is trying to accomplish and Mathews would have to beat out Dyles a 7th round pick that is coming off a season ending injury.

Also consider the fact that if its even close between these 2 that Mathews popularity could give him the edge. I like Perry alot but drafting another DT in the first round wouldnt be near as popular as drafting a Mathews.

No sir, IMO if these 2 are at the top of our board when our pick comes around its a one horse race.
mussop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to know how well he tackles, being a defensive guy and all. Big, fast, pedigree, football IQ, durability, work ethic comparable to few, Houston ties all sound like a potential rock in the lineup. This is my pick.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say that Matthews does alot better job tackling than does Cushing. He also knows how to fight off blocks better.

The thing about Matthews is that we know he can make two positions stronger - OLB and Special Teams kick coverage. We didn't have a good coverage team last year. Now that's during his rookie season. I think he comes to the perfect fit because he doesn't have to come in right away. He can learn the game first. When I say he doesn't have to come in right away I mean he can come in mid to late season like Adibi did. We all know how that worked out.

The argument of saying that our current starters were not #1 picks needs to be thrown out the window. Every team has lower round picks starting at more than one position. Also this draft is nowhere near at talented as the past 3 drafts so you are going to have lesser talented guys going higher.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #18
Polo

The Texans seem to have always placed a premium on athleticism and have not been afraid to take what would be considered 'raw talent', so I could very well see them taking Matthews.

I could also see them going in a completely unforseen direction and trading down to get crazy depth and not really looking for any definite starters...
Old 03-18-2009   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Here's the thing about Matthews (from my perspective). If he hasn't started at LB in 4 years, then I don't think the Texans will take a long look at him at 15. Kubiak knows that it's time to win now. If we draft a guy who hasn't started as a LB in college, it's doubtful he starts at LB as a pro as a rookie. He's not an immediate contributer. If the Texans and Kubiak are trying to win now (which he has to in order to continue being the head coach) then my guess is that they don't go after a guy who won't have an immediate impact his first season.

Of course maybe Kubiak and other NFL teams do seem him as being able to help out in a major way as a rookie.
Matthews played in 50 games during his 4 years at USC. He started his senior year. He was a walk on for one of the most esteemed football programs in the nation and worked his way into the starting line up. He would be an immediate contributer his rookie season. I'd venture to say he would start at SLB but that would just be me guessing. Maybe he starts by game 4... game 6.. 8? who knows. The fact is though, he would be a huge factor on special teams. I think fans underestimate how important STs are to winning football games. You could argue that you don't want your 1st rd pick out there tackling/blocking on special teams and that's valid, but he would improve that aspect of the game + the LB position + possibly the DE spot and all that with 1 player saving a valuable roster spot or two.

Impact on our team is a non-issue. What it boils down to is "lack of starting experience". I wouldn't get that confused with lack of experience though. It's him starting only 1 year on a defense that consistently ranks at the top of the nation.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

its best to probably refrain from responding further & be classy about our differences

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read