Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-14-2009   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Post-Combine Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I've been using that board for all my mocks... not because of the order, but because they list more prospects than anywhere else I can find. It's a great tool!

For all the mocks I'm participating in, I have an excel document with that list imported, then I black out each player as he gets selected... then I can base my order of who is left much more easily, and re-order the spreadsheet by position or whatever. Saves me a ton of time.
I've got a spreadsheet with GBN, Draft Countdown, a couple of the Walter Football mocks, some of Yahoo's and Mayock's position rankings in it. I'm adding CBS now.

That way I can quickly bounce between one and the other. I'm considering making a column with a composite rank of some sort.

During our mock, I just mark down the position the player was taken. Then I can sort by whichever column I want.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #22
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I don't see how Clay Matthews' stock can simultaneously be continuing to rise AND he will last to 46. Not possible.

In fact, I'm almost certain he'll get picked before Cushing... probably before 15. Houston's not the only fanbase and team who is thought to be interested in him.

I think there's a very good chance that 1 - he won't be there at 15, and 2 - if he is, the Texans won't be able to trade down and still get him. It's not like us fans are making the hype up - his stock is soaring - and he hasn't even had his pro day yet.
Fine mock Beerlover. If your mock is the same as the herds your not thinking.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11483165

I think your mock proves my point.....if they are serious about a pass rusher and they wait untill after 46....the cup board is going to be bare. The only thing left is going to be long shots. and I don't believe they are going to stand pat on Antoinio Smith's 3.5 career average.

so you've added the fifth corner...now what ?
Old 03-15-2009   #23
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this is a nice tool http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/TSX/2009 did not use it for this mock however. what I like is that they post the trends (which way they perceive the players stock is heading). As noted from our astute members responses they do have Clay Matthews stock much higher than the value I placed (20th) with a green arrow pointing higher. thats fine I'll still pass. if he does go higher & people are projecting him as the Texans 1st rd. pick not the 2nd rd. pick you tell me where the value in that is? I'd like more bang for my buck
How do you figure BL ? I mean just who are you projecting him to beat out opening day.....by the end of september......the end of October ?

Inquiring minds wish to know ? Taking the best out of a very bad class will only give you heart burn.

Him sitting on the bench doesn't help us one iota catching the division. If they had another two or three years....I'd be on board....but they ain't got two or three years....they got this season. They got to hit somebody who can contribute....now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=3966657

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-15-2009 at 12:50 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
How do you figure BL ? I mean just who are you projecting him to beat out opening day.....by the end of september......the end of October ?
depends on the package Bush trots out there on sundays. I like Dunta @ Nickle, Reeves LCB, Butler projects to RCB. If only two corners are in there Bush could move Dunta to FS that way you have your best three db's on the field @ all times. thats a big thing for me is to have flexabiltiy & philosophy to have your best players on the field @ all times. I would fully expect Butler to get tested early, by seaons end it might be flipped back towards Reeves

Quote:
Inquiring minds wish to know ? Taking the best out of a very bad class will only give you heart burn.
each year only a handfull of CB's can play @ the next level, thats what increases their value. its a premium position, like QB where value is overstated because they're hard to find. Flash backward two drafts ago- Texans sitting there @ #10 had some other choices you know between Amobi, Willis, Timmons, Hall & Revis. we probably would not be having this discussion if the Texans had selected Revis. for all the talk of passing on Patrick Willis (ole Miss) Revis should have been the pick, he is now one of the best young cb's in the NFL.

Quote:
Him sitting on the bench doesn't help us one iota catching the division. If they had another two or three years....I'd be on board....but they ain't got two or three years....they got this season. They got to hit somebody who can contribute....now.
understand but always remember its a fluid process that evolves over time. my biggest concern with the Texans right now is the future without Dunta, the Texans need to be smart about things, so far refusing to overpay or commit longterm, we must understand this, so they franchised him. Im not super crazy about Reeves, Bennett is very long but is slow in breaks, doesnt have the elite coverage skills needed & Molden is still unknown. the Texans could be hurting with this group sooner rather than latter if they pass on another elite talent. you only get one maybe two shots a year to address it.

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #25
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100539 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Didn't New England take Maroney in the first a couple of years ago? Or was Mcdaniels not with them at the time?
McDaniels wasn't running the offense at the time. They switched to the spread when they got Moss, Stalworth, and Welker in 2007
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #26
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I like that you were willing to change it up. I actually like Butler as an under the radar prospect. However, I am a little concerned about him that early. He is small at 5'10 and 183. He does have good instincts, but he had a pretty down year as a senior. I realize that many teams just didn't challenge him, but he didn't have a single interception as a senior and only had 40 total tackles. He tried returning kicks, but that didn't go very well. Now, he did have 10 interceptions his first three years and was a 4 year starter.

Interesting pick though.
Butler and Harris will both be good NFL players mark my words.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #27
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
understand but always remember its a fluid process that evolves over time. my biggest concern with the Texans right now is the future without Dunta, the Texans need to be smart about things, so far refusing to overpay or commit longterm, we must understand this, so they franchised him
that is true.

But you are ignoring the obvious.....this Staff isn't worried about CB in 2010. They are worrying about getting their contracts renewed. They aren't worrying about Robinson's contract or a CB problem next off season. They are worrying about getting renewed through 2013. And to do that...they need play makers, defensive play makers on the field, not on the bench.
Old 03-16-2009   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope y'all are right about Matthews & drive his stock so far north he winds up in Buffalo, then I could change my pick to Evertte Brown
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read