Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 18,727
Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

OK. So, I decided what the hell... while I'm waiting for the wife to get ready...

15 - Brian Cushing, OLB
I just don't see anyone else at this spot. I hope we're able to trade down. Cushing's injury history scares me.

46 - Ziggy Hood, DT
We need an upgrade in the middle of the line.

77 - Lawrence Sidbury, DE/Rusher
For passing situations.

108 - Curtis Taylor, FS
Initially for depth, but eventually to take over for Eugene Wilson.

118 - Kraig Urbik, G
I'm basing this on the GBN and Draftnick draft boards. And according to them, he could be here at this point.

144 - Glen Coffee, RB
RB depth.

175 - Quan Cosby, WR
Could improve our WR corps. At least give him a chance.

206 - Jordan Scott, RB
Nuff said.

Urbik and Coffee could be gone by those spots but according to the big boards I was using, it's not totally unreasonable.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,560
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

I don't know quite yet how to rate those guys.
But Coffee at 144 and I think we get a steal.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #3
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

I pretty much like everything...Not really all that high on Matthews though, but wouldn't pissed if we got em
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 18,727
Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

Well, I was watching Path to the Draft, and something that Mayock said made me re-evaluate some things. How about this:

15 - Robert Ayers, DE. According to Mayock, this kid is really good and can be our rusher. Mayock has him rated 12. Although I wasn't expecting us to draft DE in the first round with the Smith signing, if this guy is that highly rated, I'd love taking him in this position more than I like taking the LB's.

46 - Ziggy Hood, DT. I had a choice here between Hood and Rashad Johnson and I was very much tempted to go Johnson. But I'm going to try to fix our DL once and for all.

77 - Andre Brown, RB. I almost went Sherrod Martin here. But I'm worried about picking up the RB I want later in the draft so I pull the trigger on Slaton's Complement here.

108. Curtis Taylor, FS. Eugene Wilson's eventual successor. I was also considering Trevor Canfield, G, to strengthen the interior line.

118. Cornelius Lewis, G. Has some technique issues and is very raw. I read one report that said he should be gone by the 2nd-3rd round but no one else has him rated that high. Should take Brisiel's spot and could start for us. Could be Urbik if he drops.

144. Jarret Dillard, WR - Watch out JJ.

175. Chip Harris, SS. Also thought about T.J. Lange, G. Dropped Quan Cosby from this spot because I changed 144 to Dillard.

206. Jordan Scott, RB. Nuff said.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #5
JCTexan
Hall of Fame
 
JCTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin
Age: 25
Posts: 4,323
Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well, I was watching Path to the Draft, and something that Mayock said made me re-evaluate some things. How about this:

15 - Robert Ayers, DE. According to Mayock, this kid is really good and can be our rusher. Mayock has him rated 12. Although I wasn't expecting us to draft DE in the first round with the Smith signing, if this guy is that highly rated, I'd love taking him in this position more than I like taking the LB's.

46 - Ziggy Hood, DT. I had a choice here between Hood and Rashad Johnson and I was very much tempted to go Johnson. But I'm going to try to fix our DL once and for all.

77 - Andre Brown, RB. I almost went Sherrod Martin here. But I'm worried about picking up the RB I want later in the draft so I pull the trigger on Slaton's Complement here.

108. Curtis Taylor, FS. Eugene Wilson's eventual successor. I was also considering Trevor Canfield, G, to strengthen the interior line.

118. Cornelius Lewis, G. Has some technique issues and is very raw. I read one report that said he should be gone by the 2nd-3rd round but no one else has him rated that high. Should take Brisiel's spot and could start for us. Could be Urbik if he drops.

144. Jarret Dillard, WR - Watch out JJ.

175. Chip Harris, SS. Also thought about T.J. Lange, G. Dropped Quan Cosby from this spot because I changed 144 to Dillard.

206. Jordan Scott, RB. Nuff said.
I like your first mock better. Cushing, Hood & Sidbury would be a better first three rounds for the Texans. I don't really have a problem with drafting Ayers @ 15 but first rounders are supposed to start. Do you start him ahead of Smith who the Texans just paid a ton of cash to? Sidbury in the 3rd would be a better pick since he won't be expected to start right away, and would be good depth at DE.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 18,727
Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I like your first mock better. Cushing, Hood & Sidbury would be a better first three rounds for the Texans. I don't really have a problem with drafting Ayers @ 15 but first rounders are supposed to start. Do you start him ahead of Smith who the Texans just paid a ton of cash to? Sidbury in the 3rd would be a better pick since he won't be expected to start right away, and would be good depth at DE.
My problem with Cushing is his injury history. We're going to end up with Adibi, Diles, and Cushing if we go that way and there's a good possibility they all end up injured and off the field. Cushing is also considered an LB that's going to have to pulled out in passing situations. He was pulled in passing situations at USC so you've got to expect he comes off the field on passing downs in the NFL.

And although I'd prefer an every down starter with the 15th pick, Ayers could be the best value at that pick because he may give us the most production. And when you consider, that teams can spend up to 50% of the time in some sort of pass defense, that means that Ayers could see the field more than Cushing.

It was a tough change but I was trying to get outside the box.

This version of the mock also gives us a better complement to Slaton, I think.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame
 
YoungTexanFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,800
Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
My problem with Cushing is his injury history. We're going to end up with Adibi, Diles, and Cushing if we go that way and there's a good possibility they all end up injured and off the field. Cushing is also considered an LB that's going to have to pulled out in passing situations. He was pulled in passing situations at USC so you've got to expect he comes off the field on passing downs in the NFL.

And although I'd prefer an every down starter with the 15th pick, Ayers could be the best value at that pick because he may give us the most production. And when you consider, that teams can spend up to 50% of the time in some sort of pass defense, that means that Ayers could see the field more than Cushing.

It was a tough change but I was trying to get outside the box.

This version of the mock also gives us a better complement to Slaton, I think.
Cushing played a full season as a stand up "elephant" DE. He played a full season as a hybrid. He played all 3 downs while at USC. He has the ability and size to do so in the NFL and he did it at USC. Sometimes it just seems that people spew stuff that they think could be true.
__________________
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we had when we created them.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2009   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 18,727
Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Cushing played a full season as a stand up "elephant" DE. He played a full season as a hybrid. He played all 3 downs while at USC. He has the ability and size to do so in the NFL and he did it at USC. Sometimes it just seems that people spew stuff that they think could be true.
Well, yeah. Exactly. I am merely repeating things that I've heard other people say. At this point, I'm repeating something that Mayock said on the Combine shows. He said he's got concerns with Cushing because he thinks he's going to come off the field in passing situations.

I think I've been pretty up front about the fact that I don't check tape on all these people. I don't think I've made any attempt to represent myself as the next Kiper.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,505
Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

I'll bet the Texans have that tape (2006) & go over it with a fine tooth comb
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame
 
YoungTexanFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,800
Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

I wasn't trying to come down so hard on you man. I don't think Cushing is the best LB on the USC team. Maualuga is the best LB. I also really, really like their 4th LB and I think he is more like Lofa than many here realize.
__________________
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we had when we created them.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 18,727
Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I wasn't trying to come down so hard on you man. I don't think Cushing is the best LB on the USC team. Maualuga is the best LB. I also really, really like their 4th LB and I think he is more like Lofa than many here realize.
No problem, man. I know that a few of you guys who are hardcore get sick of people repeating the same bad bios or bad reports about players because it shows a lack of research but for most of us who love football, we're never going to watch enough tape to form our own opinions and we have to rely on other people's evaluations. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Other people's evaluations are sometimes going to be right and sometimes going to be wrong but even if you're doing your own evaluation, you're going to be wrong many times. I just don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with using other people's research and I realize it's going to be faulty at times.

I expect Rey to go before our pick. I think he is the better LB in the group. My initial try had Cushing because I think he's rated slightly higher than Matthews. My second try had Ayers because he's starting to shoot up people's boards from what I'm reading/hearing.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,505
Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
No problem, man. I know that a few of you guys who are hardcore get sick of people repeating the same bad bios or bad reports about players because it shows a lack of research but for most of us who love football, we're never going to watch enough tape to form our own opinions and we have to rely on other people's evaluations. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Other people's evaluations are sometimes going to be right and sometimes going to be wrong but even if you're doing your own evaluation, you're going to be wrong many times. I just don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with using other people's research and I realize it's going to be faulty at times.
TRUE THAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I expect Rey to go before our pick. I think he is the better LB in the group. My initial try had Cushing because I think he's rated slightly higher than Matthews. My second try had Ayers because he's starting to shoot up people's boards from what I'm reading/hearing.
linebacker's more than any other position are the products of a system. thats why certain types fit a particular scheme more than another, its also a reason the arguement goes, you can address this need later since your only looking to plug in a hole thats missing or underachieving in your system. unless your elite talent like Aaron Curry. personally I don't see any of the other linebackers as elite talent, more of team needs around the league. I don't care if Cushing, Rey Mealuga or Matthews himself are all off the board by #15 that only means they're pushing down a possible better player just because of need.

I hope this is the case & someone like Everette Brown slides Houston way.....
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame
 
YoungTexanFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,800
Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pencil Neck's First Ever Texan's Mock

Man, I've been wrong my fair share of times. Using other people's info is fine. Everyone does it; EVERYONE. Even the experts "peak" at a rivals board. Plus, it's impossible for one personal or company to review every single prospect at the same time. One expert may decide to look at potential sleepers in February where another might not do so until March. If you like this process, just keep doing it man. It's a ton of fun, and the more you get into it, the more you'll actually watch of the film. It will surprise you.
__________________
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we had when we created them.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger