Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009   #161
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Tell me why though? I looked at the film and combine numbers and just didn't see why Matthews would be picked before Cushing.
I didn't say he would be. I'm talking about personal preference.

Far as I'm concerned, they're fairly even. The tiebreaker for me is that Cushing is talented, has the experience, and is a total pretty boy. Clay is hard-nosed, has an incredible work ethic, and has a nasty on-field demeanor, but doesn't have as much starting experience.

It's not so much that I don't like Cushing as much as I just like Matthews more.

Quote:
BTW - when I say "film", I mean youtube highlights!
Yeah - and that's a very, VERY important distinction. You can't tell diddley SHIT from youtube highlights.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-06-2009   #162
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I didn't say he would be. I'm talking about personal preference.

Far as I'm concerned, they're fairly even. The tiebreaker for me is that Cushing is talented, has the experience, and is a total pretty boy. Clay is hard-nosed, has an incredible work ethic, and has a nasty on-field demeanor, but doesn't have as much starting experience.

It's not so much that I don't like Cushing as much as I just like Matthews more.

Yeah - and that's a very, VERY important distinction. You can't tell diddley SHIT from youtube highlights.
Cushing has an incredible work ethic, is hard-nosed and has been a starter since his freshman year. Are you sure it's not the last name?
Old 03-06-2009   #163
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cushing has an incredible work ethic, is hard-nosed and has been a starter since his freshman year. Are you sure it's not the last name?
No, the last name has nothing to do with it. I'm not infatuated with Matthews or anything - and it has nothing to do with his uncle.

I just simply like him better than Cushing.

...and I don't like pretty boys, generally. Again - just personal preference. I never criticized your pick.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-06-2009   #164
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's only one thing that concerns me about Cushing ... tell em Roger .

Round Dan
Old 03-06-2009   #165
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Oh - also - when I see Cushing, I can't help but think of Barbie Carpenter from Dallas.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-06-2009   #166
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I personally feel there are better players than Sanchez available... especially that suit well for the Texans needs.
As do I.

I was just hoping to stir the pot a little bit and get some McShay bashing going on in here.

I failed.
Old 03-06-2009   #167
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, the last name has nothing to do with it. I'm not infatuated with Matthews or anything - and it has nothing to do with his uncle.

I just simply like him better than Cushing.

...and I don't like pretty boys, generally. Again - just personal preference. I never criticized your pick.
I was joking dude and I don't like pretty boys either. The guy is tough though. I think both Matthews and Cushing need to cut their hair.

Don't really care for yank jersey boys either, but saw through it.
Old 03-06-2009   #168
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
I was joking dude and I don't like pretty boys either. The guy is tough though. I think both Matthews and Cushing need to cut their hair.

Don't really care for yank jersey boys either, but saw through it.
Oh, dude, I didn't take any of that the wrong way, don't get me wrong.

You were in a tough spot, and I think you took the smartest pick - at least positionally. If you had taken a WR or RB, you would have deservedly taken some, but there's not a lot of bad people can say about you taking Cushing.

One thing I really do like about him is that he's taken the steroid accusations head on. He's never ducked the question, and he's been adamant about denying it and talking to people at length about his physical regimen.

So, I like that. At this early point, still more than a month away, I wouldn't be pissed at all if we got Cushing.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-06-2009   #169
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Man I wanted Malcolm Jenkins though. We need some playmakers in our secondary, along with some depth. His versatiliy could have made this draft a lot easier too.
Old 03-06-2009   #170
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Man I wanted Malcolm Jenkins though. We need some playmakers in our secondary, along with some depth. His versatiliy could have made this draft a lot easier too.
Agreed. I'm hoping that Sean Smith makes it to 46. I'd love to have him on the team.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-06-2009   #171
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I have absolutely no problems with taking Cushing.
Old 03-06-2009   #172
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I have absolutely no problems with taking Cushing.
I just really didn't want to take a LB in the first round. Look at where most of the star LB's have come from. I wanted a ballhawk safety. Why isn't Mays in this draft?
Old 03-06-2009   #173
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tell me why though? I looked at the film and combine numbers and just didn't see why Matthews would be picked before Cushing.

BTW - when I say "film", I mean youtube highlights!
Hey, Cushing has more than enough physical tools needed to be a badass LB. There's just something about him that scares the crap out of me.

IMO, you had a choice of grabbing Cushing and hope his physique and film can translate to the NFL or reach.
Old 03-06-2009   #174
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Allright, who is up next???
Old 03-06-2009   #175
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Oh, I don't know how I left this out - but Cushing has had some persistent leg injury issues. Matthews has never had injury problems and has been very durable - of course, part of that is because he only started full time as a senior.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-06-2009   #176
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Peria Jerry plays the same type of DT as Amobi Okoye. We don't need another Amobi - we need a true,wide-bodied NT. Trouble is - there's nobody worth the 15th pick who fits the mold.
What makes you think a "wide bobied NT" is in our plans? I keep hearing this here but to this day have never heard Smith, Kubiak or Kollier (sp?) say they want or need a "wide bodied NT". From what I have gathered they want DL that can penetrait and disrupt plays in the backfield.

Also put me down as pro Mathews. I dont know what it is about Cushing but I just dont like the guy. I mean as a player, I dont care what he looks like.
Old 03-06-2009   #177
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

And we've hit a speed bump
Old 03-06-2009   #178
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What makes you think a "wide bobied NT" is in our plans? I keep hearing this here but to this day have never heard Smith, Kubiak or Kollier (sp?) say they want or need a "wide bodied NT". From what I have gathered they want DL that can penetrait and disrupt plays in the backfield.

Also put me down as pro Mathews. I dont know what it is about Cushing but I just dont like the guy. I mean as a player, I dont care what he looks like.
I've never seen them say it. I don't know that it's in our plans. I just think it's something we need. A big guy who can command two blockers and be a run-stuffer.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-06-2009   #179
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've never seen them say it. I don't know that it's in our plans. I just think it's something we need. A big guy who can command two blockers and be a run-stuffer.
I agree with it I just dont think our team does. Its kind of like the S situation. We all want a ballhawking FS but doesnt seem to be in the teams plans. That is why I wouldnt be stunned to see them take a player like Peria.
Old 03-06-2009   #180
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I agree with it I just dont think our team does. Its kind of like the S situation. We all want a ballhawking FS but doesnt seem to be in the teams plans. That is why I wouldnt be stunned to see them take a player like Peria.
Yeah, it baffles me why they don't think top talent is needed at the safety position. The team has never drafted a safety higher than the 4th round, and then the coaches wonder why the safety play is usually terrible, and average at best.

That second round pick is going to be very, very interesting. The first pick is too - but that pick at 46 is just so wide, wide open.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read