Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2005   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Just to make it clear

Texans | Johnson Likely to Move to Defensive End - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:41:32 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Houston Texans are likely to play rookie DT Travis Johnson at defensive end since they run a pure 3-4 defense, which requires bigger defensive ends. Johnson appears to have the right blend of size and speed to succeed in the 3-4 defensive alignment.

In related news.. why havent we signed any UDFAs :P

Also.. Im not one to fling insults towards Capers.. but in his interview on draft day.. wasnt he talking about T. Johnson as a runstuffing DT? Either Casserly just does not keep im informed, AT ALL, about who they are drafting.. or their scouting info sucks and they just figured out that he would be a better DE.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #2
BattleRedGuy
Rookie

What am I missing? In a 3-4 you have an NT and two DT. The DE is actually a linebacker. I don't get it.
BattleRedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #3
texman8
Veteran

Most likely,Len P. was mistakenly using wrong terminology. Texans may use TJ sometimes to replace Payne on passing downs.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

in the 3-4 you have the DT and two DE.

In his interview.. Capers was talking about Johnson as a DT in our system, when he would actually be playing DE.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #5
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedGuy
What am I missing? In a 3-4 you have an NT and two DT. The DE is actually a linebacker. I don't get it.
Actually in a 3-4 you have a NT, who is lined head-up on the center or shaded a bit in either "A" gaps(between center and guard) . And two DE's who are generally lined head-up on the OT or shaded on the inside or outside shoulder pad . To be a DT, you're lined up between the guard and tackle or shaded a bit to either side.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

All our d-linemen are pretty much DT's. I'm sure we see Johnson on the end and inside. You can only play one or the other and he will be inside at times Im sure.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #7
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

actually i think they are gonna try him out at both positions...see if he can really handle NT in a pinch if payne gets hurt again...he mention in his interview that he has played NT before...he believes he is a two gap DT...i see him more as a DE personally but he has the size to be a NT...but he has the ability to play both NT and DE it makes him that much more valuable to us seeing how spears would have been only to play DE...and the more i look at the two of them the more i see johnson being the better suited for the 3-4
Old 04-24-2005   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

In long down and distance we will likely have Babin and Peek at the DE and the pass rushing DL who will stay on the field is likely Johnson. In that case he will be in the middle.

Old 04-25-2005   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Texans |
ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Houston Texans are likely to play rookie DT Travis Johnson at defensive end since they run a pure 3-4 defense, which requires bigger defensive ends.
I know most on our Board thought if we went this way we'd pick Marcus Spears, but apparently TJ is a better choice if a team runs a pure 3-4.
Had TJ been there when the Cowboys picked at 20, it would have been interesting to see if they would have chosen him instead of who they did (Spears). I do think the Cowboys may work in more 4-3 formations along with their 3-4, so Spears maybe more flexible and therefor better suited for them, but in pure 3-4 TJ best way to go. Of course one can only speculate about it
since we'd picked TJ at 16 before Cowboys 20 pick.
Excluding the DE/OLB tweeners (Ware, Merriman, Pollack ,etc.) Spears was usually the most highly rated DLineman on the mocks but as we know many who produce the mocks are the biggest conformists going and the last to get
the real insider info.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #10
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I know most on our Board thought if we went this way we'd pick Marcus Spears, but apparently TJ is a better choice if a team runs a pure 3-4.
It seems like we have enough of the stand up pluggers coming off the bench on the DL now. What we were missing was someone with speed and a little more agility. To me, that is what sold C&C on TJ. Anyone else think so?
Old 04-25-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I'd agree with that. We want more pass rush from the DL's to help out the OLB's. You can't double everyone on the edge if someone is blowing up the inside of the line. Most of our protection problems on Offense is due to the inside push blowing up the pocket moreso than the edge guys getting around the corner.

Old 04-25-2005   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

It is like the 3-4 is three large DT's up front, 2 undersized DE's playing OLB and 2 undersized LB's (perhaps even oversized SS's) playing ILB's.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read