Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-22-2009   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Beerlover Pre-Combine Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
The Texans achieved this with a 6th rd. pick (traded to Denver for the rights to Chris Myers).
If you look at how Denver constructs it's OL, at least in the time Shanahan & Kubiak were there, you'd notice there weren't many 1st round tackles picks who stayed around for very long.

Myers didn't start a game his first two seasons, then he starts all 16 games in 2007, before being traded to us.

They drafted Greg Foster in the first round of 2003. He never made it to the left side, then was traded to Detroit. Detroit also drafted Gosder in the first round last year. So I don't think they'll be going OL..... They have got to go heavy on Defense this year. FA, draft... they've got to sell out on defense.

But anyway, I think, like you do beerlover, Kubiak is satisfied with what he has on the OL. Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Briesel, Winston, Daniels....... and what he has backing them up...... Salaam(may be his last season, if he makes the team), Studdard, White, Butler & Dressen. Then there's no telling who is being developed on the practice squad.

I like us taking a LB.... to me, that would make the most sense. LB, is our weekest position. IMHO, then cornerback, then Running back, then DT.

Also, put me in the crowd that says no way the first 4 picks won't be OL.
Old 02-22-2009   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Another thing. Not only did they draft an OT in the first round last year, but they also drafted a QB in the second round.
Old 02-22-2009   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Also, put me in the crowd that says no way the first 4 picks won't be OL.
add me to the list post-combine, trimming it down (2) top 5? w/maybe just 3 in top 10
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #44
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the mock, although I'm also having the "no way in hell it's going to happen" approach.

But let's say it does happen that way, there are couple things I am a little skeptical of...

1. I'd probably take Rashad Jennings with the first pick in the 3rd round. Mostly because he's my favorite RB to complement Slaton in this draft, and I wouldn't want to pass up on that opportunity. (I'm paranoid like that!)

2. I just don't think A.Q. Shipley will be available in the 4th, or Michael Bennett still being there in the 7th.

Nice mock, I can tell you put a lot of time into it.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #45
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
1. I'd probably take Rashad Jennings with the first pick in the 3rd round. Mostly because he's my favorite RB to complement Slaton in this draft, and I wouldn't want to pass up on that opportunity. (I'm paranoid like that!)
agree with you, take him if he's there first chance you get. Texans most likely just have one 3rd. anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
2. I just don't think A.Q. Shipley will be available in the 4th, or Michael Bennett still being there in the 7th.
I still believe Shipley will be there, can only play one position, a bit undersized with short arms but then again Gibbs likes high motor intense competitive over achievers. Bennett should be gone, we'll see tomorrow how he performs, would be a nice addition seems more of a role player not an everydown player thats why I downgraded his stock but in the 7th thats excellent value for sure.
Old 02-23-2009   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=beerlover;1119352]Now for the rest of the Texans picks, pre-combine-

2). Robert Ayers, DE Tennessee 6031 273
If still on the board. second choice Paul Kruger, DE Utah. third choice DE Jarron Gilbert. theme is to take the best available DE in the second rd.

3a). Lawerence Sidbury, DE/OLB Richmond, 6023 265

Love his potential, explosive smooth athletic ability can flip hips & change direction on a dime. could be developed as situational pass rusher & OLB.

3b). Rashad Jennings, RB Liberty 6-1 234

By trading down the Texans once again address RB this time with a power style back to compliment Steve Slaton. Good instincts, north & south runner.

4). A.Q. Shipley, Center Penn State 6010 297 (for mussop)

I'm upgrading Shipley grade one round, because he is also a long snapper which the Texans need since they will not resign Bryan Pittman. Also there is nobody to back-up Meyers or upgrade Meyers which ever the case may turn out to be so this pick has extra value for Texans & he should be there for the taking.

5). Ellis Lankster, CB West Virginia 5091 191

Also upgraded one round, trying to be realistic, great instincts, fast competitive & solid in run support could get a shot @ FS but is a solid CB.

6). Brandon Tate, WR/KR North Carolina 6-1 195

Playmaker who had severe season ending acl otherwise no way he is still on the board. He comes into camp 100% recovered & competes with Jacoby for WR/KR duties.

7). Michael Bennett, DE Texas A&M 6-4 271

If still on the board. second choice Phillip Hunt, DE Houston, third choice Nick Reed, DE Oregon. overloading position but out of this bunch the Texans should generate a much improved pass rush.
[/QUOTE I thought I had posted but didn't. I just disagree with you on need at LB vs where you pick. I like the trade with Chicago but would have tried another trade down with Atlanta. Cushing is good but not needed in first. I like Ayers and Sidbury in 3rd solves the OLB you want and you do not have double up for 2 spots with 3 players. Jennings in 3rd is excellent.

1. trade #15 to Chicago getting a 3rd; then trade to #24 with Atlanta for a 2nd round or 3rd and 5th. I see Atlanta jumping on Cushing and we get more picks. AT #24 we select Ron Brace NT (a bit high but he is rated a 2nd)

2 a (ours) Robert Ayers DE
2b (Atlanta) Max Unger Center
3a (ours) Sidbury (I'm ok with this)
3b (Bears) Jennings RB
3 c (Atlanta) FS Rashad Johnson
4th (ours) ?
4th (Vikings for Sage)?
Old 02-23-2009   #47
whiskeyrbl

[quote=badboy;1124878]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Now for the rest of the Texans picks, pre-combine-

2). Robert Ayers, DE Tennessee 6031 273
If still on the board. second choice Paul Kruger, DE Utah. third choice DE Jarron Gilbert. theme is to take the best available DE in the second rd.

3a). Lawerence Sidbury, DE/OLB Richmond, 6023 265

Love his potential, explosive smooth athletic ability can flip hips & change direction on a dime. could be developed as situational pass rusher & OLB.

3b). Rashad Jennings, RB Liberty 6-1 234

By trading down the Texans once again address RB this time with a power style back to compliment Steve Slaton. Good instincts, north & south runner.

4). A.Q. Shipley, Center Penn State 6010 297 (for mussop)

I'm upgrading Shipley grade one round, because he is also a long snapper which the Texans need since they will not resign Bryan Pittman. Also there is nobody to back-up Meyers or upgrade Meyers which ever the case may turn out to be so this pick has extra value for Texans & he should be there for the taking.

5). Ellis Lankster, CB West Virginia 5091 191

Also upgraded one round, trying to be realistic, great instincts, fast competitive & solid in run support could get a shot @ FS but is a solid CB.

6). Brandon Tate, WR/KR North Carolina 6-1 195

Playmaker who had severe season ending acl otherwise no way he is still on the board. He comes into camp 100% recovered & competes with Jacoby for WR/KR duties.

7). Michael Bennett, DE Texas A&M 6-4 271

If still on the board. second choice Phillip Hunt, DE Houston, third choice Nick Reed, DE Oregon. overloading position but out of this bunch the Texans should generate a much improved pass rush.
[/QUOTE I thought I had posted but didn't. I just disagree with you on need at LB vs where you pick. I like the trade with Chicago but would have tried another trade down with Atlanta. Cushing is good but not needed in first. I like Ayers and Sidbury in 3rd solves the OLB you want and you do not have double up for 2 spots with 3 players. Jennings in 3rd is excellent.

1. trade #15 to Chicago getting a 3rd; then trade to #24 with Atlanta for a 2nd round or 3rd and 5th. I see Atlanta jumping on Cushing and we get more picks. AT #24 we select Ron Brace NT (a bit high but he is rated a 2nd)

2 a (ours) Robert Ayers DE
2b (Atlanta) Max Unger Center
3a (ours) Sidbury (I'm ok with this)
3b (Bears) Jennings RB
3 c (Atlanta) FS Rashad Johnson
4th (ours) ?
4th (Vikings for Sage)?
No way we draft 3 DE's in one draft.
Old 02-24-2009   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

[quote=whiskeyrbl;1124917]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
No way we draft 3 DE's in one draft.
you think its a little overkill I'm sick of excuses.

Its probable the Texans cut Weaver, maybe in a few hours. theres not much depth or high end talent after Mario. if they don't strike a F/A deal Texans will be forced to address this need(s) via the draft. all three are ascending higher, Ayers end of first early second. Sidbury, might move up to my second round pick & forget about it. Bennett has NFL DE size to play strongside, thats a hot button in this draft with lack of quality prospects @ his position. so screw it take him regardless how many DE's you select. just imagine the infusion of young, talented, aggressive DL is this not what Bush promises to change the defensive culture of Texans defense?
Old 02-24-2009   #49
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=beerlover;1125306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post

you think its a little overkill I'm sick of excuses.

Its probable the Texans cut Weaver, maybe in a few hours. theres not much depth or high end talent after Mario. if they don't strike a F/A deal Texans will be forced to address this need(s) via the draft. all three are ascending higher, Ayers end of first early second. Sidbury, might move up to my second round pick & forget about it. Bennett has NFL DE size to play strongside, thats a hot button in this draft with lack of quality prospects @ his position. so screw it take him regardless how many DE's you select. just imagine the infusion of young, talented, aggressive DL is this not what Bush promises to change the defensive culture of Texans defense?
Me too Beerlover. slam it and be done with it. Just like we did with the OLT last year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read