Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-16-2009   #21
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Pre-Combine Mock

If the Fords are truly serious about rebuilding.....you'd think they get the most solid guy they can with the #1 overall and wait on the Qb for the 2010 class. There are two models out there. What San Diego did after the Ryan Leif disaster and what Atlanta did after the Vick disaster. I think the Kipper wives tale that you always draft the franchise Qb first is just that a wives tale.
Old 02-16-2009   #22
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I sure do. And the situation with Gallery kinda makes my point for me because he was drafted something like #2 or #3 overall to be the Raiders "francise" LT, yet failed to do so and instead played RT or inside at guard. Anyway, because of his inability to play the all-important position of LT for the Raiders and because he was taken so high, he's been considered one of the biggest Draft busts among OLineman in recent years.
Eric Winston went on the record as saying Gallery's feet were way too small for his frame, causing him to have bad balance, and bad footwork.

On the mock--I don't like Cushing, but I gotta give you props on the Lions pick. Everyone assumes they'll take Matt Stafford when they have bad lines on both sides of the ball.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #23
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Eric Winston went on the record as saying Gallery's feet were way too small for his frame, causing him to have bad balance, and bad footwork.
Had not heard Winstons remarks ? Veeeery interesting.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #24
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if Maclin is sitting there at 15, Kubes won't pass him up. Kubiak wanted Ginn and Maclin is just as fast with better catching ability
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post

On the mock--I don't like Cushing, but I gotta give you props on the Lions pick. Everyone assumes they'll take Matt Stafford when they have bad lines on both sides of the ball.

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 02-16-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently Andre Smith has no desire to not be a
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #27
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Apparently Andre Smith has no desire to not be a
I would say it debatable that he even wants to be in the at this point.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #28
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't blame him. I really like the 20 yard endzones in the CFL too.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009   #29
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree w/ TTP...I see at least 3 very good qb's comming out of the draft NEXT YEAR and If your picking #1..you better be damn sure this qb class is what you want...I too feel Detroit wont go qb in round 1...they are gonna build in the trenches this year on day 1...Next year they will pull the trigger on their franchise QB.
Old 02-22-2009   #30
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarazz00 View Post
I agree w/ TTP...I see at least 3 very good qb's comming out of the draft NEXT YEAR and If your picking #1..you better be damn sure this qb class is what you want...I too feel Detroit wont go qb in round 1...they are gonna build in the trenches this year on day 1...Next year they will pull the trigger on their franchise QB.
They could go Stafford #1 then take Britton at #20 then select the top available DE with their second round pick. Build the trenches and pick up your QB of the future. Sounds like a good start to their draft to me.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #31
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
They could go Stafford #1 then take Britton at #20 then select the top available DE with their second round pick. Build the trenches and pick up your QB of the future. Sounds like a good start to their draft to me.
Yeah, going 0-16 was an embarrasment not only for Detroit, but for the whole league...they had so many holes in their boat that it sank right off the dock...their not going to get every problem solved this draft nor the next. I just don't see their new HC being tied to any of this years QB's...it's gonna be the "trenchman" that get the nod early in Detroit this year...Next year..Bradford;McCoy; or Tebow..will be their target...
Old 02-22-2009   #32
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarazz00 View Post
Yeah, going 0-16 was an embarrasment not only for Detroit, but for the whole league...they had so many holes in their boat that it sank right off the dock...their not going to get every problem solved this draft nor the next. I just don't see their new HC being tied to any of this years QB's...it's gonna be the "trenchman" that get the nod early in Detroit this year...Next year..Bradford;McCoy; or Tebow..will be their target...
That would be a big turn around for that franchise. I personally think that is what they should do also. They have so many problems they are almost like an expansion team. This is an excelent draft for the trenches. They would be smart to draft their franchise LT of the next ten years and give him a year of experience before drafting a QB. We of all fans know what happens when you draft a QB first overall and dont give him the kind of protection that can allow him to grow.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

not sure its a valid angle here or not? but the #1 overall pick, for now owned by Detroit, will have tremendous expectations from its football team & Lion fans given Detroit historical inept football & hard economic times. Your going to pay that #1 pick millions, so Detorit needs more than just a great player they need a hero to embrace who displays toughness, leadership, hard work & dominance on the football field. seems like too much pressure to place on a rookie QB, can't remember Matt leading Georgia anywhere despite having some talent? Smart money should be to attain a player like Mario Williams (who would still be the dominant prospect in this draft as well) that can be dominant with very low risk, who has great character the team can build around & fans can be proud of

So I figured they needed someone exceptional to build around in the trenches, protect a future franchise QB & improve a poor running game. Andre Smith has failed to deliver, you just don't no-show on the biggest interview of your life letting teammates & fan base down. that's why this was a Pre-Combine Mock Draft, its a fluid ever changing process

Clearly Baylor OT Jason Smith has stepped up to the challenge & replaced Andre as the best OL in this draft. this change will be reflected in my post combine mock draft as greater emphasis must be placed on character & how that fits not only team needs & bpa measureables but also best interest in various NFL cities to make the best combination
Old 02-22-2009   #34
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
not sure its a valid angle here or not? but the #1 overall pick, for now owned by Detroit, will have tremendous expectations from its football team & Lion fans given Detroit historical inept football & hard economic times. Your going to pay that #1 pick millions, so Detorit needs more than just a great player they need a hero to embrace who displays toughness, leadership, hard work & dominance on the football field. seems like too much pressure to place on a rookie QB, can't remember Matt leading Georgia anywhere despite having some talent? Smart money should be to attain a player like Mario Williams (who would still be the dominant prospect in this draft as well) that can be dominant with very low risk, who has great character the team can build around & fans can be proud of

So I figured they needed someone exceptional to build around in the trenches, protect a future franchise QB & improve a poor running game. Andre Smith has failed to deliver, you just don't no-show on the biggest interview of your life letting teammates & fan base down. that's why this was a Pre-Combine Mock Draft, its a fluid ever changing process

Clearly Baylor OT Jason Smith has stepped up to the challenge & replaced Andre as the best OL in this draft. this change will be reflected in my post combine mock draft as greater emphasis must be placed on character & how that fits not only team needs & bpa measureables but also best interest in various NFL cities to make the best combination
So have you moved Smith ahead of Monroe also? I just havent seen enough of him to make a judgement. I do believe which ever one grades out th best should be the Lions pick. If they go QB they will be committing franchise suicide for the next few years.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
So have you moved Smith ahead of Monroe also? I just havent seen enough of him to make a judgement. I do believe which ever one grades out th best should be the Lions pick. If they go QB they will be committing franchise suicide for the next few years.
Jason Smith was already my #2 prospect. His performance in the weight room (33 reps) answered questions about his strength. almost 34" arm length, very fluid in all skills testing & love his aggressive mind set. Joe Thomas is a great young LT, but Jason looks like he has all the tools to become elite w/higher ceiling.

Monore reminds me more of D'Brickashaw (footwork/strength) played with him too, but lifted only 23 times thats a significant drop-off but still excellent skill set to play LT @ the next level. remains a top 5 pick.
Old 02-22-2009   #36
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

You're #1 pick is now dropping faster than a hailstone in a Thunderstorm
B-L. Where do you expect him going in your revised mock 2.0 ?
And how about Crabtree after the disclosure of his stress-fracture ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #37
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
You're #1 pick is now dropping faster than a hailstone in a Thunderstorm
B-L. Where do you expect him going in your revised mock 2.0 ?
And how about Crabtree after the disclosure of his stress-fracture ?
Bengals #6 - 49'ers #10

major events like the NFL Combine are a reason to do pre/post mock drafts. this represents a fluid process thats ever changing, like this unexpected event, so by the time the actual draft rolls around you can support opinion. Heck, its pre-mature to have a final cut mock draft in place, regardless its something I enjoy doing
Old 02-22-2009   #38
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have Jason Smith as the #1 OT and Monroe #2 as well.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #39
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I have Jason Smith as the #1 OT and Monroe #2 as well.
I think Monroe is the more polished prospect, but I think Smith has more potential.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #40
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
That would be a big turn around for that franchise. I personally think that is what they should do also. They have so many problems they are almost like an expansion team. This is an excelent draft for the trenches. They would be smart to draft their franchise LT of the next ten years and give him a year of experience before drafting a QB. We of all fans know what happens when you draft a QB first overall and dont give him the kind of protection that can allow him to grow.
You know if they are smart/luck they could rebuild their Oline this year. They could grab Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe at #1, grab the top center in Alex Mack at 20, grab OG Duke Robinson at 33, and then hope Phil Loadholt drops into their first 3rd rounder. If not, they can grab Fenuki Tupou as their RT. Sure this is a bunch of rookies and they will make mistakes. Thats why they keep Orlovski and let him get the tar beaten out of him as this young line starts to gel. Then next draft they grab a QB and let him sit a year behind a Orlovski/FA veteran. That way when the new QB is ready to go, you already have a young OLine that has gelled and is ready to protect him.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read