Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2005   #41
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
So what would our line-up be? If I had to guess, I would say:

Walker, Payne, Smith
Babin, Greenwood, Wong
Glenn, Robinson, Buchanon, Faggins, Coleman

Looks like we're going to be seeing less of Glenn Earl...
When the Texans go into the nickle, the NT comes out and they go into a 4 man front with two LB's.
Simmons comes in to play safety.

Babin, Walker, Smith, Peek
Greenwood, Wong
Glenn, Robinson, Buchanon, Simmons (SS), Coleman (FS)

In the dime package, usually Walker or Smith comes out, but maybe a LB.

Babin, Walker, Peek
Greenwood, Wong
Glenn, Robinson, Buchanon, Faggins, Simmons (SS), Coleman (FS)

An interesting thing to follow this year would be how much playing time Buchanon, Faggins, Simmons, and Lewis Sanders each get. Buchanon probably really eats into Faggins playing time. Sanders and Simmons are probably going to fight it out for a roster spot as the big corner and strong safety in passing situations.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #42
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
A 2nd and 3rd rounder in a weak draft for a proven game breaker is fine by me...
Didn't you make this same post in the first thread about the Buchanon trade...

Quote:
WTF?!?! Why would we trade for Phillip Buchanan? Hasn't he been a disappointment in Oakland, and hasn't he been classified as a "cancer" (I hate that term but couldn't come up with a better one)...I'm not sure what we gave up for him, but hopefully it wasn't more that a 3rd rounder since we could probably draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd that would be better than him...
First you were hoping it wasn't more than a 3rd rounder so that the Texans would still be in a position to draft a CB that would be better.

After it's made public that the Texans gave up a 3rd and well as a 2nd you're fine with it because he's a "proven gamebreaker in a weak draft".

Personally, I think it's a good deal. He's only 24 and I think I read he's only due to make $800K this season. He should also be able to replace whatever y'all were going to use a return man (at least on punts anyway).

Any early ideas as to who he replaces or will he play nickel behind Robinson and Glenn?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #43
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Didn't you make this same post in the first thread about the Buchanon trade...

First you were hoping it wasn't more than a 3rd rounder so that the Texans would still be in a position to draft a CB that would be better.

After it's made public that the Texans gave up a 3rd and well as a 2nd you're fine with it because he's a "proven gamebreaker in a weak draft".

Personally, I think it's a good deal. He's only 24 and I think I read he's only due to make $800K this season. He should also be able to replace whatever y'all were going to use a return man (at least on punts anyway).

Any early ideas as to who he replaces or will he play nickel behind Robinson and Glenn?
Lol he got you there.

I love this trade and cant wait to see all 3 CB's in action together. I think DROB and AG will still be the starters, but there is open competition for it.
Old 04-21-2005   #44
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu
I think were going to move Buchanon to Washington, we'll have to wait and see what happens!

NFL Truth & Rumors: April 21, 2005
Posted: Thursday April 21, 2005 11:29AM; Updated: Thursday April 21, 2005 12:19PM

MORE TRUTH & RUMORS: MLB | NBA

The Redskins said they would consider all options with regard to their two first-round picks in this weekend's draft, including moving up, trading down or picking two players. When asked during yesterday's news conference if the team would consider packaging the ninth and 25th picks to move into the top five, owner Daniel Snyder responded, "Absolutely."
-- Washington Post

One scenario from an agent yesterday that might work for the Redskins: Trade the No. 9 pick to a team that wants a defensive lineman, perhaps San Diego or Houston, which have the 12th and 13th picks respectively. Because Detroit (pick No. 10) and Dallas (No. 11) are expected to take defensive players, moving ahead of them would allow the Chargers or Texans to take Johnson, Maryland linebacker-defensive end Shawne Merriman or Demarcus Ware of Troy.
-- Washington Post
SI.com

IMO... I love the trade, anything to stop Payton and the Colts is a plus. Now we have the talent to hold Stokley. But! and there is a But, if we can move up and get either Benson or Johnson from UT, that would even be sweeter.

Last edited by Blu; 04-21-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #45
HoustonLionsFan
Veteran

While Buch may have been a good addition, a second round pick is steep. Just using the Lions for an example, in the past several draft, the Lions have gotten Boss Bailey, Teddy Lehman, Shaun Rogers, and used an extra second to move back into the first and get Kevin Jones. Corey Redding? Uh, he may have been a third. My point is, there are many potention probowlers to be had in the second round. Do you think Buch will be a prowbowler? Just curious, I'll be honest and admit I haven't seen him play much.

Also, someone said this is a weak draft, I disagree. It is a very deep draft, there just isn't any 'for sure' picks, except maybe DJ. It is weak on top end talent, but very deep.
HoustonLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #46
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonLionsFan
While Buch may have been a good addition, a second round pick is steep.
I don't think a 2nd Round pick is that big of a price for a quality starting CB. Keep in mind the Dolphins are asking for a 2nd Round pick and more from KC in exchange for Patrick Surtain. Furthermore, Indy and Seattle are seeking a 2nd round pick and more in exchange for Edge and Alexander. PB is still in his rookie contract, and as far as CBs go he'll be a bargain for us. He'll be reunited with his former teamate in AJ, and our DB Coach (Hoke) is great at getting the best out of his players. PB has performed well in Oakland, but he's made a habit of taking big risks. I feel that Hoke will be able to make PB more disciplined, and his production will likely increase. If he got 11 ints in 3 years playing undisciplined I can only imagine how well he'll perform once Hoke gets some time to coach him up.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #47
HoustonLionsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I don't think a 2nd Round pick is that big of a price for a quality starting CB. Keep in mind the Dolphins are asking for a 2nd Round pick and more from KC in exchange for Patrick Surtain. Furthermore, Indy and Seattle are seeking a 2nd round pick and more in exchange for Edge and Alexander. PB is still in his rookie contract, and as far as CBs go he'll be a bargain for us. He'll be reunited with his former teamate in AJ, and our DB Coach (Hoke) is great at getting the best out of his players. PB has performed well in Oakland, but he's made a habit of taking big risks. I feel that Hoke will be able to make PB more disciplined, and his production will likely increase. If he got 11 ints in 3 years playing undisciplined I can only imagine how well he'll perform once Hoke gets some time to coach him up.
Well, I certainly hope so.
Old 04-23-2005   #48
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Not having won anything since 1957 must suck too.
That was a good 1!!!!
Old 04-24-2005   #49
HoustonLionsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
That was a good 1!!!!
When was the last time Houston won anything? 1960. Yeah much better. But it even funnier because that team isn't even here anymore. At least Det can keep a team. Now that was a good 1

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read