Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-04-2009   #61
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: And I thought Houston was a Football Town ?

Salt Lake City was followed by Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and San Francisco, according to NBC. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh; Norfolk, Va.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Buffalo and Richmond, Va., had the highest ratings for the game.
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-salt-...03/3961861.htm
Read it and weep. Those bastions of football fervor, LA & San Fran, flashed
better than Texas cities Houston & Austin in SB viewers ratings. Who would have thunk it ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #62
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
J/C:

How long have you lived in the City of Houston?

How many transplants live here?
I have lived in Texas all of my life & in Houston most of my adult life.

We suppport our team with our wallets better than any city in the NFL.

When you take into account the product that has been put on the field.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #63
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Salt Lake City was followed by Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and San Francisco, according to NBC. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh; Norfolk, Va.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Buffalo and Richmond, Va., had the highest ratings for the game.
better than Texas cities Houston & Austin in SB viewers ratings. Who would have thunk it ?
Account for 75 degree weather on that day, Tivo, internet streaming, Nielsen's awful paneling and the fact that football crazy Texans like to get together in large groups and then you should get closer to whatever truth you are looking for.

Or how about you look at paneling for radio, internet streaming and TV for football recruiting today and then take a look at Spring practice content and its viewership to triangulate your reasearch in order to make a reasonable deduction.
Old 02-04-2009   #64
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Account for 75 degree weather on that day, Tivo, internet streaming, Nielsen's awful paneling and the fact that football crazy Texans like to get together in large groups and then you should get closer to whatever truth you are looking for.

Or how about you look at paneling for radio, internet streaming and TV for football recruiting today and then take a look at Spring practice content and its viewership to triangulate your reasearch in order to make a reasonable deduction.
Others in this thread have said things along those lines to which I would say that Nielsen has been around for decades and I'd think their service would be smart enough by now to accumulate those kinds of factors and discount/measure them so that the end data provided is still valid and useful.
Afterall this is not a government service supported by taxpayers, rather its an entity in the private sector that has obviously competed successfully enough to survive by way of the info it's provided its customers.
Old 02-04-2009   #65
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Others in this thread have said things along those lines to which I would say that Nielsen has been around for decades and I'd think their service would be smart enough by now to accumulate those kinds of factors and discount/measure them so that the end data provided is still valid and useful.
Afterall this is not a government service supported by taxpayers, rather its an entity in the private sector that has obviously competed successfully enough to survive by way of the info it's provided its customers.
It is not smart enough, nor is it capturing any of the broadcasts via the internet. Nielsen has segmented itself to report on different formats, but not roll up.

Please do not make Nielsen the poster child of a public vs private debate, you do not do yourself any favors positioning your arguement. Anyone in the media business can attest to that. Nielsen is in a fight to stay relevant as TV's eyeballs and managed frequency erode.
Old 02-04-2009   #66
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I have lived in Texas all of my life & in Houston most of my adult life.

We suppport our team with our wallets better than any city in the NFL.

When you take into account the product that has been put on the field.
I was just curious. It wasn't that I was disagreeing with anything you had said, I just was trying to get a fix on where you were coming from.

Of all the people I know, be it here, Dallas, Austin - wherever; I don't know one person that participates in the Nielson Ratings system. In fact, the only one that I know that has ever participated is Steph and she said it sucked.
Old 02-04-2009   #67
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
It is not smart enough, nor is it capturing any of the broadcasts via the internet. Nielsen has segmented itself to report on different formats, but not roll up.

Please do not make Nielsen the poster child of a public vs private debate, you do not do yourself any favors positioning your arguement. Anyone in the media business can attest to that. Nielsen is in a fight to stay relevant as TV's eyeballs and managed frequency erode.
I honestly don't have any opinion of Neilsons service, rather I'm merely observing there's customers in their market who value their service even if you don't.
Old 02-04-2009   #68
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 26 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
You know how I know the ratings are bull? You mean to tell me that Phoenix isn't in the top cities for watching the game? Really?
Old 02-04-2009   #69
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just saw ratings were actually higher this year so maybe that changed Houstons ratings..that is odd that Houston was so low.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #70
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston was the second-lowest rated market in the country for Sunday’s Super Bowl broadcast on NBC, topping only Salt Lake City among the 56 major markets measured by Nielsen Media Research.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6242345.html
I dont always watch all of it because im not a big NFL fan, only Texans. Houston is more of a "get together city" anyway, if that makes sense to anyone else....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #71
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Have you watched games where opposing teams fans really show up in the stands?

Did you see the towels yesterday at the game?

Most Steeler out of town games are well represented by their fans in the stands, waving their towels. Ask Titan fans.

Winning or losing, Pittsburgh is a football town.

How many games have you seen where the "cheeseheads" are in attendance at the opponents stadims?

Winning or losing, Green Bay is a football town. Huge waiting list for tickets for many many years.

Reliant stadium is sold out for every game. How many "fans" show up? I see lots of empty seats before, during, and even more empty seats before the game is even over. Gotta beat the traffic mentality.

Houston has a few very good, die hard fans, but Houston is a jumping on the bandwagon when the team wins kind of city. Always has been.

Think we will ever see hundreds of Texan flags being waved in our opponents stadiums, even if we are winning?

Flame me if you want, but that is the way I see it.

amen

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read