Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Texas High School Football
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2009   #21
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2009 Signing Day

According to rivals.com FSU had the #6 overall recruiting class, right behind Texas. They signed 21 recruits.

Two 5*s, both on defense. #1 DT Jacobbi McDaniel and Under-Armor phenom CB Greg Reid.

Ten 4*s. players DT Demonte McAllister, Army All-American game phenom WR/S Willie Downs, S Jajuan Harley, DE Brandon Jenkins, LB C.J. Mizell on defense. WR Rodney Smith, WR Willie Haulstead, RB Lonnie Pryor, RB Chris Thompson, OL Aubrey Phillips.

Notable 3*s are #1 kicker from Houston, Dustin Hopkins. Also QB Will Secord from Frisco, TX.

I'm pretty excited about our defense for the next 3 years.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #22
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
According to rivals.com FSU had the #6 overall recruiting class, right behind Texas. They signed 21 recruits.

Two 5*s, both on defense. #1 DT Jacobbi McDaniel and Under-Armor phenom CB Greg Reid.

Ten 4*s. players DT Demonte McAllister, Army All-American game phenom WR/S Willie Downs, S Jajuan Harley, DE Brandon Jenkins, LB C.J. Mizell on defense. WR Rodney Smith, WR Willie Haulstead, RB Lonnie Pryor, RB Chris Thompson, OL Aubrey Phillips.

Notable 3*s are #1 kicker from Houston, Dustin Hopkins. Also QB Will Secord from Frisco, TX.

I'm pretty excited about our defense for the next 3 years.
I love Greg Reid. Best player in the Fla St. class IMO.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #23
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Texas finishes top five again....
To add on to this, here are the Horns top recruits this year:

We brought in three 5* prospects. Alex Okafor, the #1 strong side DE in the country. Garrett Gilbert, the #2 QB in the nation and the Gatorade National Player of the Year. And Mason Walters, the #2 OT in the country, who has the ability to play either tackle spot and center.

We also brought in 11 4* prospects, led by DT Calvin Howell and OT Garrett Porter. Other top prospects are physical 190 lb CB Marcus Davis and 6-3 CB Eryon Barnett, 235 lb HB Chris Whaley, and the #3 ranked player in Arkansas DT Derek Johnson (our ONLY out of state commit),

We also brought in a few 3* prospects, led by a TE, Barrett Matthews, who is an elite athlete.

We finished second place on Devon Kennard (#1 DE) and Dre Kirkpatrick (#1 CB) so I applaud the staff for going after those guys hard. But in the end, second place doesn't mean anything and it hurts not to land those guys.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #24
Ckw

Quote:
Jerrod Johnson will return as the starter. He started 9 games last season.

He's a good player. He will be a redshirt junior so the Aggies still have him for two more years.

I know a lot of Aggies had a hard-on for McGee. He was tough as nails, I'll give him that. But Johnson is a far more impressive athlete and has a better arm. If he improves his accuracy, he will be better this year than McGee ever was.
Yeah, McGee was fun to watch, but I really believe Fran destroyed him. The guy showed in the Texas game in 07 that he can still fling the ball down the field. This year he was battling a shoulder injury and just never seemed to get in the rhythm. The way I see it, I give him about a 40% chance of making an NFL team. He's got a lot of the tools and as you said is tough as nails, but can he be coached up? I agree about Jerrod.

Quote:
I played high school ball with Matt Allen. He was about 6-3 280 when he graduated high school and I saw him a year ago and he is loads bigger.

I would say he is about 6-4 300. Solid muscle. Very little fat on him.

I expect him to easily be A&M's best lineman next year.
Good stuff man. From everything I have heard and read about Matt Allen, he is the real deal. The line definitely needs the help, and I hope he can be a big key to a better performance from the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Johnson is for real. He is light years ahead of McGee in turns of talent and I believe he will be better than Reggie McNeal was years ago. The offense is fine as long as the offensive line can actually start blocking this year. It's the defense that is the problem. Hopefully they can get together and stop somebody next year or it's going to be another long one.
I agree about the offense. Those receivers are going to be tough to handle and by the time he is done, Jeff Fuller will likely hold every single A&M receiving record. A lesser known guy I am hearing about as a possible contributor for us is Ryan Swope. He played HB in high school but will likely be moved to receiver. From what I have heard, he will probably be kind of an H-Back coming out of the backfield at times as well as playing in the slot. I cannot wait to see Christine Michael as well.

I have mixed emotions about the defense. I really liked what I saw from Eddie Brown, DT, and think we may benefit from Kellen Heard's lazy ass taking a hike. The guy has tons of talent but brings zero effort. DE will definitely be a problem but maybe, just maybe, Matt Moss, 4 start juco, will step up and hold down the weakside. I'm fine with Featherston/Lewis at MLB and if Jonathan Stewart shows some promise, LB may not be a problem. Finally, as strange as this is, I believe DB is the biggest strength on defense for the Aggies. Trent Hunter was a diamond in the rough, Jordan Pugh is a hard-hitting corner and pretty good in coverage, and I love the incoming class of DBs. Regardless, it's all speculation and all we can do is just wait-and-see.
Old 02-05-2009   #25
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

The following are the Hightower students who signed fully inclusive scholarships.

Alex Francis (DB)- Rice University
AJ Highsmithn (QB)- University of Miami
Kelvin Jackson (OL)- United States Naval Academy
Darius Johnson (WR)- Southern Methodist University
Dele Junaid (S)- University of Mississippi
Phillip Steward (LB)- University of Houston
Colton Valencia (S)- Texas A&M University
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #26
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
with RB Christine Michael (West Brook-Beaumont) leading the way, it looks like a really good class for the Aggies...maybe top 10.
That's my high school! I have like 3 classes with him this year, and kept on hinting at him to go to A&M haha. He should get some decent PT as a freshman.
Old 02-05-2009   #27
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
That's my high school! I have like 3 classes with him this year, and kept on hinting at him to go to A&M haha. He should get some decent PT as a freshman.
As dorky as it might be, I'd recommend getting an autograph now. The guy looks like he just has "it" and the more scouts watch him, the more they seem to come away thinking he has the tools to be an NFL RB. Pretty cool you have classes with him. He seems like a good guy. Would that be accurate?
Old 02-15-2009   #28
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think Jevan Snead can have a terrific senior year. I was really hoping the Texans could pick him up on the 2nd day to groom as Schaub's back up- I think he'd be a perfect fit on this team. But now I'm starting to think he goes earlier than I'm willing to take a QB with Schaub here.
It'd be nice if the Texans gets an Ex-Texas Longhorns player, that dude is awesome.

Anyway, congrats on y'all win against the Tech.
Old 02-15-2009   #29
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
I know a lot of Aggies had a hard-on for McGee. He was tough as nails, I'll give him that. But Johnson is a far more impressive athlete and has a better arm. If he improves his accuracy, he will be better this year than McGee ever was.
Bull, he's a whiny little girl, always will be.
Old 02-16-2009   #30
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Bull, he's a whiny little girl, always will be.
LOL. I'm a Horns fan and even I can admit that McGee had a pair on him.

He did whine at times but nobody can accuse him of not giving full effort on every play.
Old 02-16-2009   #31
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I don't follow A&M much but I'm curious who the QB will be this coming season. Any ideas? Any good?
I know they have a kickass freshman long snapper.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #32
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL. I'm a Horns fan and even I can admit that McGee had a pair on him.

He did whine at times but nobody can accuse him of not giving full effort on every play.
Yea to bad he couldn't throw the ball worth a damn. Yes I could have a high accuracy percentage if I was throwing 2 yd outs all day long too. The guy had a pair yes, but not a great pro-style quarterback. Coach Fran really ruined his progression as a quarterback with all his focus on the option game. I've actually preferred Johnson ever since his redshirt year.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #33
bah007
Hall of Fame

Somewhat related to this thread but not really:

Texas just held its second junior day and now has 19 commitments for next years (2010) class.
Old 03-01-2009   #34
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Somewhat related to this thread but not really:

Texas just held its second junior day and now has 19 commitments for next years (2010) class.
Man. As a recruiter Mack is amazing. He has 19 commits for next year already?! Wow.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Texas High School Football
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read