Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-04-2009   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Espn's latest attempt

Quote:
15. Houston Texans (8-8): Brian Cushing, OLB, USC

Cushing is a gifted athlete with a reckless approach. He flies around looking to make the big hit, and he also provides a lot of versatility in the passing game. He could eventually develop into an upgrade over Zac Diles at SAM linebacker, and initially he could help boost a pass rush that ranked 27th in the league last season with 25 sacks.

46. Houston William Moore S Missouri
http://www.pastapadre.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2655
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Espn's latest attempt

I guess they figured since we employed Roger n Andy we would take the dude with titties. I'm not psyched about either of those picks. ONE of them has to be DE
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I guess they figured since we employed Roger n Andy we would take the dude with titties. I'm not psyched about either of those picks. ONE of them has to be DE
we passed om michael johnson for moore with our 2nd rounder..
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I kind of see where they are coming from. If this kid has speed why not? Look what happened to our defense when our LB corp got faster. When Adibi came in for Greenwood we were able to do all kinds of blitzing and you saw our team just take over some games. Of course the safety is needed as well.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Cushing played a decent amount of DE at USC. He's capable of playing OLB on downs 1 and 2, and then dropping down to DE on 3rd downs.

I ok with the Cushing pick, and cannot stand the Moore pick.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know much about the Moore pick. I'd like to see another DE in the first two rounds but I think there is some depth at that position this year. I also believe there are better safeties than that guy.
Old 02-04-2009   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

That's what I'm looking for. 3-4 guy who can stand up the first two downs and then drop or go on third and long. And my answer to McClain is simply this, If the guy is a defensive player all of his football life, played lineback at the college level and run with the speedy TEs at that level, why couldn't he do the same thing at this level ? I think Clint Sintim is to stiff to do it. But Maybin and Sidbury....that's anther story. At the very least you get a guy who can back up the spore spot at OLB. And if Maybin runs in the 4.65 range is up tp 243 by the combine, guess what John ?....that would make him fast enough to run with at least the tightends. Be shear blind haug luck to find an elite first step guy after the 37, Now a Weaver clone....you can get that anywhere in the draft.
Old 02-04-2009   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
Smith going that high would be the first shocker of the draft.

What Seattle is desperate for is a left guard. They haven't been worth a shit since they chose the running back and let the all pro LG guy walk....And there is Oher just sitting there. Start at Left guard....eventually moves into OLT. There's stupid and then there's stupid.

So Maybin is good enough for Buffalo's 3-4 but not ours ?
I don't think Maybin makes it past San Fransico.

So Orakpo makes to the eleven and we don't go get the guy ? Wow.
Who ever they get with the fifteen better be a stud if this happens.
Old 02-04-2009   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Smith going that high would be the first shocker of the draft.

What Seattle is desperate for is a left guard. They haven't been worth a shit since they chose the running back and let the all pro LG guy walk....And there is Oher just sitting there. Start at Left guard....eventually moves into OLT. There's stupid and then there's stupid.

So Maybin is good enough for Buffalo's 3-4 but not ours ?
I don't think Maybin makes it past San Fransico.

So Orakpo makes to the eleven and we don't go get the guy ? Wow.
Who ever they get with the fifteen better be a stud if this happens.
I don't think there is anybody in this draft class worth trading up for. In fact I hope Orakpo is there at 15, and Houston can trade down with somebody who is sold on the guy.
Old 02-04-2009   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

I know they prefaced with Knoshawn Moreno about not going to SD but c'mon. Knoshawn gives you another younger LT, and you still got Sproles. Wells is big and all but he can't stay in the game for more than two plays. I also don't see Crabtree lasting past Seattle.
Old 02-04-2009   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I don't think there is anybody in this draft class worth trading up for. In fact I hope Orakpo is there at 15, and Houston can trade down with somebody who is sold on the guy.
Just saved this one. We'll see. Orange or not...wrong side or not...We get the guy we're in the playoffs.
Old 02-04-2009   #12
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Just saved this one. We'll see. Orange or not...wrong side or not...We get the guy we're in the playoffs.
So you really think that if Orakpo makes it to 11, the Texans should give up draft picks to go get him? Why? As much as I agree that we need another DE opposite Mario, I'd never sacrifice draft picks to trade up. Add to that the fact that DE is not the only position we need to address this offseason.

Granted I'm not convinced a) he gets to 11 and b) the Buffalo would even listen; but that's besides the point.
Old 02-04-2009   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

To trade with Buffalo we'd have to give up our 1st and 3rd this year. I'd probably stand pat and keep my picks, but that's just me.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #14
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
To trade with Buffalo we'd have to give up our 1st and 3rd this year. I'd probably stand pat and keep my picks, but that's just me.
I think Buffalo might even ask for more if Orakpo was available at 11. Orakpo at 11 might just be the dream scenario for the Bills.

I'd also stand pat. For trading down, I have more hope of one of the Qbs sliding to 15 then I do Orakpo.
Old 02-04-2009   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the combine can't get here fast enough, its tiring to keep reading regurgitated poop
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I think Buffalo might even ask for more if Orakpo was available at 11. Orakpo at 11 might just be the dream scenario for the Bills.

I'd also stand pat. For trading down, I have more hope of one of the Qbs sliding to 15 then I do Orakpo.
If one of the QBs is available (Sanchez?) that could be great... maybe if Oher slips like some of these "experts" are convinced? Right behind us we're looking at the Jets, Bears, Vikings, Buccaneers, even the Lions if they go LT first. That's a lot of teams that could be interested in a possible franchise QB and they may be willing to move up to ensure they get him. I'd love to move down 3 spots and pick up an extra 3rd round pick.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Not real sure how i feel about Cushing. But I do like Sanchez falling into our laps at 15 ripe for a trade down. Personally I'm not sold on the kid but if other teams want to jump a few spots to see if he is pro caliber I'm not opposed to that at all.

Wouldn't mind Moore in the second,esepcially if he lost some weight and played like he did his junior year. I would rather gamble on Micheal Johnson or see about trading up in the second a few spots to secure Delmas.

Would be pissed at Titans getting Duke Robinson in the second.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You think 1 player from this draft is going to put us in the playoffs?

Let me ask you this. What is the difference between Vernon Gholston last year and Orakpo this year?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

After looking at the mock........ Man I hope we would be able to trade down. If not I would take Oher. I know he doesnt fill a need but man how do you pass a potential FRANCHISE LT at 15??? In the second round there are many player available that I would take over Moore.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You think 1 player from this draft is going to put us in the playoffs?

Let me ask you this. What is the difference between Vernon Gholston last year and Orakpo this year?
As an Orakpo fan, this is actually a scary comparison to me. But I would say that Orakpo has better pass rushing technique and more power in his hips. He also seems to be more aware of what is going on around him (ex. not getting fooled as often against misdirection). Against the run, I think they are even.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read