Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-28-2009   #21
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Round 1 Mock 1/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
So who would you have taken? Peria Jerry maybe?
I think the Texans need the BPA of FS/CB/DE/DT positions. (In that order)
Old 01-28-2009   #22
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely a more realistic approach on the options we will have at that pick. I won't rule out a CB... but improving the front 7 and front 4 in particular is crucial for us heading into next year. Cushing is rising fast... and I wouldnt be surprised at him or Perry being strongly considered here. Both will have to have good combines though (especially Perry). Solidifying our LB corp with this type of talent could be big for us considering Bush apparently will want to attack quite a bit more. I will always feel that getting pressure constantly will improve our secondary more than going straight for an upgrade instead. Molden in the fold already is key.

Your scenario (and how I am expecting it to go down) only makes myself want a trade back if at all possible.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #23
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I think athletic LB's are a need. A big need.
All of our starting linebackers are athletic. They're just undersized. Diles, and Adibi more than Ryans, but imo that's because of the extra weight he added to play mike. I would rather him play to his strengths, and motor around making 150 tackles a season.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #24
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
All of our starting linebackers are athletic. They're just undersized. Diles, and Adibi more than Ryans, but imo that's because of the extra weight he added to play mike. I would rather him play to his strengths, and motor around making 150 tackles a season.
The questions the Texans have to be asking is how much potential does Diles really have and will Adibi ever be able to hold up in this league as a starter?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #25
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I left out the word big before athletic. I meant big, athletic LB's. Size, but not plodders.
Old 01-29-2009   #26
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://profootballfocus.com/by_posit...ass=&teamid=13

I'm actually starting to think a real #1 shutdown corner is one of the Texans top 4 needs, along with Safety, DE, and DT. We have D-Rob, who is a good #2, and Reeves who could be a really good nickle, but none of our guys look like top flight #1s.
The Link still doesn't explain to me why some people on the board are still obessed with moving one of our CBs to FS.

I think Dunta will be back next year barring a bad break in contract talks. Fred Bennett regressed this year but was solid in his rookie outing. John Hoke is gone and I think between Gibbs and Rhodes we can see expect to see our secondary play better as a whole. Reeves while he wasn't great his play got better as the season progressed. I would've liked to see more from Molden, small school guys are a gamble. I hope he pays off. I guess I am trying to sa while we aren't done at CB I don't think we are in terrible need there as free safety in the secondary. However if a LB is gone there will probably be too good of value at CB to pass up.

However still think our LB corps is something we have to shore up if we're going to make way in the passing game(TEs kill us across the middle) and run defense. I think our DL will play better this coming because they'll be used more towards their combined strengths(speed) then trying to use them as stand up DTs(which they weren't strong enough to be). All dpends on what we do in FA, which i hope we can pick up a piece or two to supplement the draft. I think for the most part Defensive players usually plug and play better. Of course all of this is JMO.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #27
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like that mock. I'm really starting to warm up to Davis and Cushing as our picks. Because of how I'm thinking the board is going to shake up when it's our turn to pick, I think Davis or a LB may be the best choice. I'd love to get a pass rushing DE in the 2nd round but the value at that spot could be safety/corner. We'll see!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #28
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I like that mock. I'm really starting to warm up to Davis and Cushing as our picks. Because of how I'm thinking the board is going to shake up when it's our turn to pick, I think Davis or a LB may be the best choice. I'd love to get a pass rushing DE in the 2nd round but the value at that spot could be safety/corner. We'll see!
You just never know what will happen before the draft . I think the Lions , Chiefs , and Packers affect us the most with their picks . I'm hoping the Lions go QB , the Chiefs and Packers go LT.
Old 01-29-2009   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Great Early Mock

of course there are always bones to pick, but it follows the latest from WFC pretty close http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php read explanations, also has Davis to

biggest question mark of this draft- where teams evaluate Stafford & Sanchez? how badly do they need a QB (could be more important than taking BPA)? slim pickings when they go off the board & you know several teams will be looking for the next Flacco or Ryan, so if Sanchez slips, as you project, expect Texans will get some excellent offers to trade down. For that reason alone I hope this happens
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #30
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Great Early Mock

of course there are always bones to pick, but it follows the latest from WFC pretty close http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php read explanations, also has Davis to

biggest question mark of this draft- where teams evaluate Stafford & Sanchez? how badly do they need a QB (could be more important than taking BPA)? slim pickings when they go off the board & you know several teams will be looking for the next Flacco or Ryan, so if Sanchez slips, as you project, expect Texans will get some excellent offers to trade down. For that reason alone I hope this happens
Personally I don't think Sanchez should be drafted top 5-10 since his body of work is so small, but teams do crazy things when they fall in love with a player. Dropping him to # 17 seems low, but thats because 70% of mocks have him going #3 overall. I think the Cheifs would rather trade back into the 1st if he was available after 20 like the Browns did a couple years back.

I love walterfootball.com and love the way he ranks his players. I dont agree with him on some obvious stuff like Crabtree to the Rams, or Sanchez to the Cheifs, but we are on the same thought that Davis is actually a better prospect at CB than Jenkins, although I would take either at 15. I really dont like his Chris Wells to the Chargers pick. I would give that about a 2% chance of happening.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #31
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Personally I don't think Sanchez should be drafted top 5-10 since his body of work is so small, but teams do crazy things when they fall in love with a player. Dropping him to # 17 seems low, but thats because 70% of mocks have him going #3 overall. I think the Cheifs would rather trade back into the 1st if he was available after 20 like the Browns did a couple years back.

I love walterfootball.com and love the way he ranks his players. I dont agree with him on some obvious stuff like Crabtree to the Rams, or Sanchez to the Cheifs, but we are on the same thought that Davis is actually a better prospect at CB than Jenkins, although I would take either at 15. I really dont like his Chris Wells to the Chargers pick. I would give that about a 2% chance of happening.
It actually blows my mind that some people think this. No offense to you, you are entitled to your opinion and I don't know how much research you do, so you could be on to something that I just don't see.

I watch a lot of prospects. A lot. I watch more college football than anyone else I know, and I wouldn't hesitate to say that I watch more than most draft "experts".

Of all that though, I concentrate on the secondary. That's where I played and that is what I enjoy watching. I know my stuff.

I tell you all that to tell you this: Jenkins is solid in every aspect. IMO, he is the best CB to come out in the draft since Terence Newman. Davis is overrated because of his athleticism. He can be an all pro in the NFL....if he is coached up right. He is over-aggressive, shows poor discipline at times, and there are questions about his effort.

A team with a good secondary coach can take a shot on him. I wouldn't feel comfortable if we took him. In our short history, our DBs have shown a lack of improvement year to year. I would like for our DB coach to prove he can improve players like Bennett and Molden before we take shots at guys like Davis.

I realize that by passing on Davis you are passing on an elite athlete, but at this point, I think we need more guys on our defense that can make an immediate impact. I don't feel like Davis could do that.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #32
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
It actually blows my mind that some people think this. No offense to you, you are entitled to your opinion and I don't know how much research you do, so you could be on to something that I just don't see.

I watch a lot of prospects. A lot. I watch more college football than anyone else I know, and I wouldn't hesitate to say that I watch more than most draft "experts".

Of all that though, I concentrate on the secondary. That's where I played and that is what I enjoy watching. I know my stuff.

I tell you all that to tell you this: Jenkins is solid in every aspect. IMO, he is the best CB to come out in the draft since Terence Newman. Davis is overrated because of his athleticism. He can be an all pro in the NFL....if he is coached up right. He is over-aggressive, shows poor discipline at times, and there are questions about his effort.

A team with a good secondary coach can take a shot on him. I wouldn't feel comfortable if we took him. In our short history, our DBs have shown a lack of improvement year to year. I would like for our DB coach to prove he can improve players like Bennett and Molden before we take shots at guys like Davis.

I realize that by passing on Davis you are passing on an elite athlete, but at this point, I think we need more guys on our defense that can make an immediate impact. I don't feel like Davis could do that.
I think that's why everyone respects your posts, especially on the NFL draft process because we know you know what you are talking about. I actually really enjoy reading your posts.

I don't want our front office to over-think this. IMHO you draft to get the best players, and Davis is one of the best players available at 15 in this scenario. Without being able to talk to Davis, or be invited to watch him at his pro day, or the combine I have to go off production and what I have seen of him. Granted I have not seen the amount of film on him that I would like. I see a piece of clay that can be molded into an all star. If he flames out then that is the gamble I take, and in the end that is all the draft is when you are leaning on your coaching staff to do the actual work with him. A huge multi-million dollar gamble. :P
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read