Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-25-2009   #1
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default While the woman sleeps...

I get a chance to put up my first Texans mock draft of the year. I'm not going to attempt to guess at any possible trades or FA signings. This is a January mock.

Round 1
Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
Analysis - I feel that, if on the board, Maualuga will be BPA. Aside from that, he provides an experienced and productive LB with elite physical ability. He plays a lot like Rey Lewis, physically at least. While that is a huge comparison, he needs work to get to that level. Maualuga does almost everything now by just being better than everyone else. The scary thing about his game is that "it just hasn't clicked" yet. When it does, he is an All-Pro. I picked Maualuga because I feel he can play either MLB or SOLB. If he were to play MLB (which I think he would be best at), DeMeco Ryans would not suddenly lose his leadership role or stop calling plays. I also think that Maualuga could play on the outside. He has the speed needed to cover most TE's and can get to the sideline. He has been good throughout his career in getting off blockers and has shown the ability to play the middle of the field in coverage. I think he upgrades two positions in the LB core, while immediately improving our ability to stop the run.

Round 2
Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
I think there will be good value for CBs in the second round. I feel that Jenkins and Davis will go in the first. While Smith does have the possibility to come off the board in the first, his size (5'9 185) will scare a lot of teams. He also doesn't have top end speed as seen by most CBs his size. With all those negatives said (and ya, those are ALL the negatives) he is a talent. He has been as productive of a CB as you will ever find. He is aggressive when attacking the run, but obviously will struggle with that to an extent. He plays the ball as well as an CB in the draft. He has good leaping ability, which allows him to compete for many balls that would otherwise be out of his reach. He is very physical for his size, but tends to use his hands a little to much in man coverage (could I nitpick anymore?) which could lead to penalties. He is very quick to read plays and turns quickly. He will (most likely) struggle against bigger WRs in the NFL who know how to be physical (Andre Johnson, T.O., Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson - but then, who wouldn't struggle against those guys. Jesus I'm nitpicking). All in all, if he were 3 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier, we would all be praying he lasted to our first round pick. He is seriously that good.

Round 3
Lawrence Sidbury, DE, Richmond
Man is this guy rising. I don't think he will continue this meteoric rise up the boards, mostly because the "bigger" name DE's will be (hopefully) participating at the Combine. To start with, his freakish measurements have to be mentioned. He has 35 inch arms (at only 6'2) and 10.5 inch hands. His level of competition will be questioned, but he had somewhat of a coming out party in the FCS championship game. He has "good enough" size at 6'2 265 or so. Some teams (Green Bay) are looking at him as a potential 3-4 OLB, but I don't think he has quite the athletic ability or explosiveness to play standing up. However, his long arms will really help him in the NFL with keeping distance with OTs. He has showed good speed once in the backfield to get to the ball. I also think he is a serious option for the Texans as we always seem to take a small school prospect in the middle rounds. I think he has the ability to start from day one opposite Mario.

Round 4
Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty
He hasn't been terribly productive in the postseason circuit, but still, his size and speed is intriguing. At boom, he could be Brandon Jacobs, at bust he could be Ron Dayne (Texans version). He is going to have some questions raised about his level of competition obviously, but the Texans have shown a willingness to take a smaller school prospect who could project to the NFL. RB is one of the easiest positions to see immediate returns from, and history shows that we will take a RB at some point. Jennings' stock hasn't risen too much, but the potential is still there.

Round 5
the girlfriend just woke up and demands food. I'm off to applebees so I will edit this and continue the mock this afternoon.
Old 01-25-2009   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: While the woman sleeps...

1. Maualuga- if there

2. Alphonso Smith- if there

3. Lawrence Sidbury- if there

4. Rashad Jennings- if there

sense a theme? all excellent picks If there.....
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Your girlfriends up and your gonna be in trouble ... he ya the girlfriends up .

" If there " is the theme but if there that would be good .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 01-25-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love it to shake out that way. I hope Smith is there in the 2nd.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #5
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7394 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I almost posted my own mock last night and this one is very similar. I had Maualuga in the first as well, Louis Delmas in the 2nd and Matt Shaugnessy in the third. Fourth round I probably would have gone with some 1 gap DT and 5th round Glen Coffee, the RB out of Bama. My only critique of your mock (and possibly my own) is that I don't see Smith being there in the 2nd (maybe not Delmas either, gah).
Old 01-25-2009   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
1. Maualuga- if there

2. Alphonso Smith- if there

3. Lawrence Sidbury- if there

4. Rashad Jennings- if there

sense a theme? all excellent picks If there.....
My reasoning for these guys: Maualuga should be there in the first round. SD will likely take him at 16 if we don't, but he has a very good chance to be there at 15. He would BPA, which means he could go a few picks earlier, but I personally think he will be on the board.

I think Alphonso Smith will stay in the second round range. Guys like Sean Smith (6'3 215!!) will see a big jump in stock at the combine. I still think Alphonso Smith's stock will stay in the second round due only to size, and that is why I feel he will be available.

Sidbury isn't a 3rd rounder right now. He is mostly seen as a 4th rounder, but I think his stock has gone up with the scouts enough to jump him up some. He doesn't have elite explosiveness, so his combine won't be anything special compared to some other DE's (Orakpo, Maybin, Brown, Evans). He comes from a small school. I don't think his stock is going to get much higher than the 3rd round as he is still a developmental player.

Jennings just hasn't been that productive on the post season circuit. I think he may go a round higher when it's all said and done, but right now, he is looking like a 4th-5th rounder. Luckily there are other options for bigger RB's, but I feel comfortable in projecting him in the 4th round for now.

What do yall think of the specific players and the reasoning? Tear this thing apart!

Also, I'm done with this mock, so it will be a 4 rounder.
Old 01-25-2009   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Your girlfriends up and your gonna be in trouble ... he ya the girlfriends up .

" If there " is the theme but if there that would be good .
she says I'm on here too much. I've learned though if I bribe her with food, her anger is usually subdued.
Old 01-25-2009   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I almost posted my own mock last night and this one is very similar. I had Maualuga in the first as well, Louis Delmas in the 2nd and Matt Shaugnessy in the third. Fourth round I probably would have gone with some 1 gap DT and 5th round Glen Coffee, the RB out of Bama. My only critique of your mock (and possibly my own) is that I don't see Smith being there in the 2nd (maybe not Delmas either, gah).
I'm really feeling Maualuga right now. Anyway, I think there will be a very solid/good CB available in the 2nd round. If it's not Alphonso Smith, maybe a DJ Moore or Sean Smith. I just don't see Alphonso Smith making too much noise at the combine because his physical stature and measurables are limited. Regardless of player X, I feel a very good CB will be prime for the taking.
Old 01-25-2009   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see Maualuga slipping past Denver. B.J. Raji is the wildcard does he get past the Bengals & the Jags (both coaching staffs @ Senior Bowl) that would help work Maualuga closer to #15 but still has to get past Washington & New Orleans. we'll know a little more after the combine.

The Texans should exercise either the 1st or 2nd rd. selection on a DE. I doubt they wait til the 3rd. what do you think of Ayers in 2nd? he looked really explosive last night in the Senior Bowl winning Defensive player of the game.

Sidbury is intriquing. also add English & Sintim to your list

Jennings stock is rising, Shonn Greene clone not going to last til 4th rd. not even sure about the Texans 3rd rd. pick?

anyway I like your players its just #1 most are off the board #2 DE has to be a higher priority
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see Maualuga slipping past Denver. B.J. Raji is the wildcard does he get past the Bengals & the Jags (both coaching staffs @ Senior Bowl) that would help work Maualuga closer to #15 but still has to get past Washington & New Orleans. we'll know a little more after the combine.

The Texans should exercise either the 1st or 2nd rd. selection on a DE. I doubt they wait til the 3rd. what do you think of Ayers in 2nd? he looked really explosive last night in the Senior Bowl winning Defensive player of the game.

Jennings stock is rising, Shonn Greene clone not going to last til 4th rd. not even sure about the Texans 3rd rd. pick?

anyway I like your players its just #1 most are off the board #2 DE has to be a higher priority
Does the fact that Raji didn't kick butt in the game concern anyone ?
Old 01-25-2009   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Well, it will be interesting to see how the next few months play out with Maualuga's stock.

I think a DE should be a high priority, I just don't see quite the value in the second round. I think we will see, as usual, a run on DEs in the 20's of the first round. I don't like any of the DEs in the first round really, but potentially Maybin. I think a lot of the "DE's" in the first round are actually 3-4 rush OLB. I think there will be a run on the guys like Selvie, Brown, Maybin, and Orakpo. I think all 4 of those guys could play standing up, but I think that Maybin and Orakpo will make their money in the 4-3. Selvie I can see being for either but I just don't like Brown as a prospect. I really don't. Not for us. I expect those guys to go in the first round, and then there to be a drop off until the next tier. I think there will be better "value" in the 3rd. We don't need another Mario. We need a guy who can provide pressure on the QB, and I feel that the 3rd round will provide us a chance to land one of those guys.

I think Sintim is purely a OLB, either scheme, but I don't see him being able to play with his hand on the ground.

I don't think Jennings is a clone of Green. Jennings plays bigger. He may not last, but right now, Jennings is projected in that area.
Old 01-25-2009   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Does the fact that Raji didn't kick butt in the game concern anyone ?
No. I've never liked Raji as a prospect. I've never been high on him. With that said, scouts don't really care about the game. It's nice to see if players are capable of learning a scheme in 4 days, and how they play within a system, but it does little for the scouts. In fact, most scouts left Friday for the Texas vs the Nation practices. A lot of the scouts job is done at the practices. I think far too much is being said about Raji. The drills at all of these All-Star games favor the DL over the OL simply because the DL is attacking and the drills are usually for a far extended period of time than a single play, and there is unlimited space with no boundaries. A DE could run an 8 yard arc and get around a OL, but an 8 yard arc in games will either run you out of a play or into another blocker.

In short, I've never liked Raji but his stock didn't drop any due to a poor game.
Old 01-25-2009   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
No. I've never liked Raji as a prospect. I've never been high on him. With that said, scouts don't really care about the game. It's nice to see if players are capable of learning a scheme in 4 days, and how they play within a system, but it does little for the scouts. In fact, most scouts left Friday for the Texas vs the Nation practices. A lot of the scouts job is done at the practices. I think far too much is being said about Raji. The drills at all of these All-Star games favor the DL over the OL simply because the DL is attacking and the drills are usually for a far extended period of time than a single play, and there is unlimited space with no boundaries. A DE could run an 8 yard arc and get around a OL, but an 8 yard arc in games will either run you out of a play or into another blocker.

In short, I've never liked Raji but his stock didn't drop any due to a poor game.
I think some guys catch a coach or scouts eyes from a week of practice or a workout . I'm concerned about guys who seem to vanish in the game .
Old 01-25-2009   #14
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Rashad Jennings is a 3rd rounder IMO. I'd be very shocked if he was available in the 4th.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Rashad Jennings is a 3rd rounder IMO. I'd be very shocked if he was available in the 4th.
Right now, he is a 4th-5th rounder. There are some questions about him that can't be answered yet. The combine will mean a lot for him. I think he in the end he is a late 3rd to mid 4th round pick.
Old 01-25-2009   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont like Rey Rey in the 1st. Give me Cushing. I'm glad Raji didn't have a good game because i would love for him to be there @ 15.

We have an all-pro Mike & people want to move him. Makes no sense to me when you can get a more versatile LB like Cushing in the 1st or Matthews in the 2nd or 3rd. These guys fit the mold Bush was talking about when he was talking about having a pressure defense. Rey Rey is just a run stopper & plays a position that we already have an all-pro Mike.

I like A. Smith but I think we need to draft a DE or S in the 2nd. If S. Smith, Delmas, or Chung is there (I think one of them will be) you have to think about taking one of them.

I love Sidbury. If they dont draft M. Johnson in the 1st or Ayers in the 2nd this is the guy. Small school guy with untapped potential He has good size 6'4 265 lbs & long arms. Good speed, he has kept a book on the guys he plays against. This shows he's a student of the game. He could become great with a good DL coach & S&C coach. IMO

I like Jennings but would rather see us spend the pick on defensive BPA. I think we can get G. Johnson in the 5th. He is a better fit for the ZBS IMO.

I would be very happy if your mock fell to us. Every player you picked is solid & could help the team in 09. Good Job

My dream draft would be
RD1 E. Brown or Raji
RD2 Mack
RD3 Ayers or Sidberry
RD4 N. Harris or Cook
RD5 G. Johnson

This would fill many holes & alows the pressure defense Bush wants to play.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I dont like Rey Rey in the 1st. Give me Cushing. I'm glad Raji didn't have a good game because i would love for him to be there @ 15.

We have an all-pro Mike & people want to move him. Makes no sense to me when you can get a more versatile LB like Cushing in the 1st or Matthews in the 2nd or 3rd. These guys fit the mold Bush was talking about when he was talking about having a pressure defense. Rey Rey is just a run stopper & plays a position that we already have an all-pro Mike.

I like A. Smith but I think we need to draft a DE or S in the 2nd. If S. Smith, Delmas, or Chung is there (I think one of them will be) you have to think about taking one of them.

I love Sidbury. If they dont draft M. Johnson in the 1st or Ayers in the 2nd this is the guy. Small school guy with untapped potential He has good size 6'4 265 lbs & long arms. Good speed, he has kept a book on the guys he plays against. This shows he's a student of the game. He could become great with a good DL coach & S&C coach. IMO

I like Jennings but would rather see us spend the pick on defensive BPA. I think we can get G. Johnson in the 5th. He is a better fit for the ZBS IMO.

I would be very happy if your mock fell to us. Every player you picked is solid & could help the team in 09. Good Job

My dream draft would be
RD1 E. Brown or Raji
RD2 Mack
RD3 Ayers or Sidberry
RD4 N. Harris or Cook
RD5 G. Johnson

This would fill many holes & alows the pressure defense Bush wants to play.
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the feedback. I don't think Cushings is top 15 material, but wouldn't be much of a reach. I think he would be an option with a move back. I just feel that Maualuga significantly upgrades two positions. Cushings has some injury history to be taken into consideration. Ryans is an All-Pro MLB, and he will be an All-Pro OLB if that is what the team choses to do. He will make all the audible calls regardless of where he lines up. I think Maualuga is the most complete USC LB. Cushings isn't the best at getting off blocks, but is great in coverage. Matthews isn't very good in coverage but knows how to play in the backfield. Maualuga is good in coverage, has the size and has shown the ability to get off blockers. Maualuga doesn't have to be a MLB, as he can also play SAM. He upgrades 2 positions, regardless of if he plays inside or outside.
Old 01-25-2009   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

We just differ in that I believe Cushing is more complete than Rey Rey.

I forgot about Cushings injury history. This might change my thoughts.

I'm not sure if Ryans is fast enough to be an all-pro SAM
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
We just differ in that I believe Cushing is more complete than Rey Rey.

I forgot about Cushings injury history. This might change my thoughts.

I'm not sure if Ryans is fast enough to be an all-pro SAM
He played SAM before the NFL. Ryans isn't big enough or fast enough to be an All-Pro anything by some accounts, but he is. Players are players, and Maualuga is a player.
Old 01-25-2009   #20
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9288 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

For some reason I just see Sean Smith going to the Pats. He has a ton of upside and can play something like 4 positions as well as being a freak of nature.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read