Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-22-2009   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sports Illustrated mock draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ck2/index.html

They have us taking DE Aaron Maybin

Quote:
The best value in the middle of the round should be at defensive end, where the choice might boil down to Maybin or Florida State's Everette Brown. The Texans need someone opposite Mario Williams who is capable of drawing some attention away from their leading sacker. Maybin is a quality edge rusher, but at 245 pounds he probably needs to get bigger to stay on the field for all three downs.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Sports Illustrated mock draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ck2/index.html

They have us taking DE Aaron Maybin
Yeah, been hearing alot about Maybin. I just want them to take the best defensive player available with their 1st Round.

The smoke will clear a little more after the combine and some of the college workouts.
Old 01-22-2009   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll pass on Maybin, I'd rather have Everette Brown.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree.
Old 01-23-2009   #5
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the Packers taking a 4-3 DE like Michael Johnson at #9 if he is even still available there. If they take a defensive player, which they probably will, it will be someone that better fits a 3-4. Perhaps it will be Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown.
Old 01-23-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take E. Brown or Vontae Davis before I took Maybin.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I'd take E. Brown or Vontae Davis before I took Maybin.
I agree 100%. But having a choice of Davis, Brown or Maybin is not a bad problem to have.

Obviously if we keep Dunta then its down to Brown and Maybin.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2009   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else disappointed we have to take D-Line again....or there is a good possibility?I just don't like taking these guys middle of first. To me the first, for a team like ours, should be a time to take best player at any of the needs. Excuse me for not doing my crazy research yet..its early..but I'd rather go for a MLB to push Ryans to the outside or a Safety or DB. Definitely not DT. Maybe I'm just skittish about D-linemen and Florida St....thanks Travis
Old 01-23-2009   #9
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Anyone else disappointed we have to take D-Line again....or there is a good possibility?I just don't like taking these guys middle of first. To me the first, for a team like ours, should be a time to take best player at any of the needs. Excuse me for not doing my crazy research yet..its early..but I'd rather go for a MLB to push Ryans to the outside or a Safety or DB. Definitely not DT. Maybe I'm just skittish about D-linemen and Florida St....thanks Travis
I am dissapointed that we are taking about getting another DT in the first round. A DE on the other hand is needed when we drop Weaver and his huge salary. Mario will be better once he has a player on the other side that can get after the QB.
Old 01-23-2009   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Maybin is your outside linebacker canadate. You'll have to come back in the second if you took him at fifteen and take a first step guy like Sidbury. Maybin has an Elite first step. and he can run....whether or not he can flip his hips and cover we're going to find out next month. Brown's has been more productive no doubt.
Old 01-23-2009   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone else disappointed we have to take D-Line again....
Not at all, and you are not focusing on the big picture if you keep staring at Travis Johnson. Stop looking at him.

This team needs a consistant pass rush. They don't have that, and they've never had that, and until they get it, you can forget about them staking the next step.

If the D-line is not getting it done, you draft and draft and draft and draft and draft, and then you draft some more until you get it right. When this team gets a pass rush, a consistant pass rush, . . . I said a consistant pass rush, you'll find out then how good the linebackers, and DBs are.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #12
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Not at all, and you are not focusing on the big picture if you keep staring at Travis Johnson. Stop looking at him.

This team needs a consistant pass rush. They don't have that, and they've never had that, and until they get it, you can forget about them staking the next step.

If the D-line is not getting it done, you draft and draft and draft and draft and draft, and then you draft some more until you get it right. When this team gets a pass rush, a consistant pass rush, . . . I said a consistant pass rush, you'll find out then how good the linebackers, and DBs are.
I dont understand what you are saying. Football is a team game. All 11 players along with the coaches, and the scheme have to do their part to make it a success. If you want to scapegoat the D line then have at it. Draft Dlinemen until you can rotate 8 first round picks in if you want.

I think you have the talent up front. You have a stud DE, 2 first round pick tackles and a couple of promising players like Robinson. After that the only high round players we have drafted are Demeco and Dunta. Share the wealth.
Old 01-23-2009   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 249951 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm disappointed that we haven't already gotten the right guys.

BUT.

If that's the best player available that meets our needs, then I'm fine with doing it.

And if the guy we draft doesn't do well but we continue to get great production from our guys in the later rounds, that's OK as long as we start racking up some wins.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #14
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

At the fifteenth pick in the draft we do not need a project we need a player to be an impact player first year . That means no de to learn lb spots it means only studs need apply .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
At the fifteenth pick in the draft we do not need a project we need a player to be an impact player first year . That means no de to learn lb spots it means only studs need apply .
We'll get a good player in all likelihood, but the chance of getting a "stud" at the 15th pick in probably unlikely. All the studs are taken in the top 7 or 8 picks
Old 01-23-2009   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We'll get a good player in all likelihood, but the chance of getting a "stud" at the 15th pick in probably unlikely. All the studs are taken in the top 7 or 8 picks
I don't know , who was the best player in the 2002 draft ?
Old 01-23-2009   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I don't know , who was the best player in the 2002 draft ?
I didn't say it was impossible
Old 01-23-2009   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't say it was impossible
I know I was playing .

I think you have some workout warriors that go higher than the really good players . I think that's why alot of high picks don't pan out .

In the 2002 draft Peppers was picked 2nd , Fat Albert 15th , Ed Reed I think 20th .
Old 01-23-2009   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I know I was playing .

I think you have some workout warriors that go higher than the really good players . I think that's why alot of high picks don't pan out .

In the 2002 draft Peppers was picked 2nd , Fat Albert 15th , Ed Reed I think 20th .
I wonder how much of it is overanalyzing the players? Teams research hundreds upon hundreds of hours for the draft and you figure they know what they're doing, but I'm sure they out think themselves at times.
Old 01-23-2009   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I dont understand what you are saying. Football is a team game. All 11 players along with the coaches, and the scheme have to do their part to make it a success. If you want to scapegoat the D line then have at it. Draft Dlinemen until you can rotate 8 first round picks in if you want.

I think you have the talent up front. You have a stud DE, 2 first round pick tackles and a couple of promising players like Robinson. After that the only high round players we have drafted are Demeco and Dunta. Share the wealth.
Obviously we DON'T have the talent up front, or we'd have a pass rush, which we don't. Just because we have 3 first round picks on the D-line already, doesn't mean we have a pass rush. We don't!

Get that defensive end. Get rid of the deadwood 1st round bust Travis Johnson, and deadwood flop of a free agent Earl Weaver, and get the right people on that line that can get the job done.

This "sharing the wealth" just for the sake of sharing the wealth is misguided. It's not fashionable these days to quote . . . but it's just as accurate and true as it ever was.

"It all starts up front."
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read