Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-22-2009   #21
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZs premiere 2009 Mock has us taking a DT. No Way !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Cushing played DE, ILB, OLB and some safety at USC. I think he's could enough to be an outstanding 4-3 SLB, or a 3-4 LB that could see some snaps at OLB and some at ILB. His ability to cover is way underrated at this point.

Of course all of this is my opinion, and I'd love for Cushing to play for the Texans.
I think Cushing is underrated as well.

I just think he would make a better Sam in a 4-3 than a rush LB in a 3-4.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #22
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be dissappointed with Cushing in the least bit. He seems like a well rounded linebacker, has the size and athleticism and can even move up to rush the passer on occasion.

Ideally, if we want him, I'd like to see us somehow trade down a few slots into the 20's maybe. Of course he could get taken, but he's a history of injuries that will cause GM's to raise the red flag. He would be able to play SLB and keep Demeco inside. If we could get a 3rd rounder with a small trade down maybe we could find that power back to compliment Slaton. And go after a DE or S in the 2nd and viceversa in the 3rd.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #23
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think Cushing is underrated as well.

I just think he would make a better Sam in a 4-3 than a rush LB in a 3-4.
I agree about him playing SAM, but I think he his ability to rush and cover could be used as justification for him to be drafted by a team who uses the 3-4. Cushing lining up in a zone blitz scheme could cause nightmares.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #24
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I wouldn't be dissappointed with Cushing in the least bit. He seems like a well rounded linebacker, has the size and athleticism and can even move up to rush the passer on occasion.

Ideally, if we want him, I'd like to see us somehow trade down a few slots into the 20's maybe. Of course he could get taken, but he's a history of injuries that will cause GM's to raise the red flag. He would be able to play SLB and keep Demeco inside. If we could get a 3rd rounder with a small trade down maybe we could find that power back to compliment Slaton. And go after a DE or S in the 2nd and viceversa in the 3rd.
You got any detailed info on his injury history? I know he's had a few issue with his ankles and shoulders, but I can find the specifics needed to judge who seriosu of a concern the history might be.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #25
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You got any detailed info on his injury history? I know he's had a few issue with his ankles and shoulders, but I can find the specifics needed to judge who seriosu of a concern the history might be.
Quote:
Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games
LINK

He has also had steroid allegations, though those can be frivolous and he's never failed a test.

Before:

One Year Later:

For the record, I don't buy the steroid allegations, but I present the photographic evidence in order to provide fair and balanced coverage.
Old 01-22-2009   #26
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

27. Indianapolis - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

I thought Indianapolis loved speed on defense? Jackson will make a great strong side DE, but he is a run stuffer. Doesn't do much as far as pass rush. Had 8 sacks as a soph, but then 3.5 as a junior, and 4.5 as a senior.

Everything else looks great. I especially like the Pettigrew and Laurinaitis picks.[/quote]

Supposedly the Colts are going to go in a little different direction defensively as Caldwell is tired of watching the defense get gashed in the running game. I can see Tyson Jackson as a two down DE and then being bumped down inside to DT on passing downs while Mathis comes in at DE. Jackson would make them much more stout against the runs and there are some out there who think he might be able to gain 10 to 15 pounds and play the under tackle.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #27
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree about him playing SAM, but I think he his ability to rush and cover could be used as justification for him to be drafted by a team who uses the 3-4. Cushing lining up in a zone blitz scheme could cause nightmares.
The Jags not so subtle tip on who they are taking. (Brian Cushing)

J/K
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #28
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
LINK

He has also had steroid allegations, though those can be frivolous and he's never failed a test.

Before:

One Year Later:

For the record, I don't buy the steroid allegations, but I present the photographic evidence in order to provide fair and balanced coverage.
From softy man titties to Swatzenager in one year. What a joke. The guy is overrated anyway. Hope we stay away from him.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #29
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I just see Orakpo as a multi dimensional player and believe the 4-3, 3-4 question is about Orakpo's draft value, more so if he can play one or the other. Smart, fast and strong go a long way in overcoming adversity in this league.

If Raji were selected at #15, I would not be complaining.
So Orakpo starts out as the Texas rover linebacker....covering the RB's, tight ends, and slot guys the big twelve features his freshman and sophmore years.
Drops down and dominates just about every OLT he cuts trails with....the one he doesn't is currently sky rocketing up the draft boards.....Smith.

He's 265 ...now. He out lifts everyone on the team now.....He has some of the longest arms and biggest hands in the draft class now.....yeah the guys a real crap soot. Hey he's plug and play KT.

Just be glad it's not my call. I'd sale the farm to move up and get him. There's a Raji on the board every draft. Guys like Orakpo...guys that have the numbers that indicate they will be dominate players, only come around once in a while.

Not banging Raji. If we take him at the fifteen he'd be a good clean pick. But he isn't going to put the defense on his back and drag them into the top fifteen.

And if Zerlien was worth a damn he would of already posted this is the most talented group of centers to come down the pike in a very long time. I haven't researched it yet....but maybe since the merger. And three of those center guys no one is talking about just punked Raji and Brace in the Senior Bowl. And that there thingy is the unvarnished truth. Know what I mean by punked ?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...8/mock2329.htm

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-25-2009 at 11:23 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #30
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Orakpo sat out the Baylor game pete.

He didn't get his chance to dominate Smith this year.
Old 01-25-2009   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
From softy man titties to Swatzenager in one year. What a joke. The guy is overrated anyway. Hope we stay away from him.
they call that there thingy Male Hormose Syndrom. gynecomastia

http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/gynecomastia

http://www.healthline.com/adamconten...n=Gynecomastia

So are you posting he has some baggage ?
Old 01-25-2009   #32
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Orakpo sat out the Baylor game pete.

He didn't get his chance to dominate Smith this year.
not last year.
Old 01-25-2009   #33
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

pete, I think you have lost it. honestly. I find it so hard to comprehend your posts anymore. It's beyond just not agreeing with you. You are just coming from left field on some things man.
Old 01-25-2009   #34
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
not last year.
That's true.

But he was playin on a bum knee cuz of that cheap shot he took vs Arkansas St.

Not trying to bash Smith in any fashion, btw. Best o lineman in the conference.
Old 01-25-2009   #35
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
pete, I think you have lost it. honestly. I find it so hard to comprehend your posts anymore. It's beyond just not agreeing with you. You are just coming from left field on some things man.
No I under stand....Ray got a FF Saturday and you love the physical presence he brings....I got it. But paying two Middle line backers top thirty two money is what is out in left field here. If you want to move Ryans out just say so. Is Ray better than Ryans? Or are you going to pay two Middle line backers top thirty three money ? Inquiring minds wish to know ? It just makes no damn sense YTF. Your gamble here is this guy will be able to flip his hips and run with the Dallas Clarks of the NFL world. And I'm saying when pigs fly. We'll see next month at the combine. Now if you're going to drop the guy at rush end.....
Old 01-25-2009   #36
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith looked solid in the Senior Bowl practices I watched. He looked leaps and bounds better than Oher from what I saw.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #37
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Why didn't Michael Johnson play?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #38
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Why didn't Michael Johnson play?
He dropped out of the practices with a hurt elbow or something I think...
Old 01-25-2009   #39
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Smith looked solid in the Senior Bowl practices I watched. He looked leaps and bounds better than Oher from what I saw.
It's hard to judge the mental aspect of these players in a game like that because the schemes are so limited.

But physically, Smith has it.
Old 01-26-2009   #40
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
LINK

Before:

One Year Later:

An easy way to see if a guy is using steroids is to look at their necks. They'll be swollen, but not from muscle or fat. I can't get a clear view from this angle.

Here's Roger Clemens in a sort of before and after, but you can get a better example from Sly:

*Note: i get this information from a research paper I did in one of my English classes. It's possible this theory applies only to anabolic steroids, whereas guys are using a ton of stuff the FDA doesn't know about yet. What I do know for a fact is that JFK, who used steroids for medicinal purposes, had that sort of build up in his face.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read