Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-22-2009   #21
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: 1/22 mel Kiper Jr. has us taking.....

who'd he have us picking last year?
Old 01-22-2009   #22
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
who'd he have us picking last year?
Malcolm Jenkins. Then Rashard Mendenhall.

I want to know who had us picking Duane Brown? Obviously it's hard to anticipate a trade down, but still.

I don't like us passing on Rey Maualuga in his mock, I'd rather have him and DeMeco battling it out to see who plays MLB, and just have an awesome linebacking core than any of the DE's in this draft really..
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #23
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

In March he had us selecting:

18 Houston Texans - Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon
Old 01-22-2009   #24
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
He's the best DE in the draft, I'd be thrilled if he fell to us but I'm not overly optomistic.
My thoughts exactly.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #25
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
In March he had us selecting:

18 Houston Texans - Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon
So that means a DE in the third round this year?
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #26
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave532 View Post
I want to know who had us picking Duane Brown? Obviously it's hard to anticipate a trade down, but still.
Our very own TexansTalk MB member Porkey did. I remember it well. He called it when nobody else had a clue about us taking LT Brown as far as I know ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #27
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Our very own TexansTalk MB member Porkey did. I remember it well. He called it when nobody else had a clue about us taking LT Brown as far as I know ?
Lol I do remember reading that the day after the draft last year, that was quite a pick. I had looked at literally hundreds of mock drafts and looked up everyone I thought the Texans could take, and I had still never heard the name Duane Brown until they drafted him I was just saying, none of these experts have any idea who's going where the day before the draft, let alone before the combine and free agency.

We should nominate Porky for ESPN analyst, huh?
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #28
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Just don't see him falling to us... along with BJ Raji and Maualuga. If one of these guys fall to us, you are darn tootin we scoop one up. But I think Taylor Mays going back to school really will be the domino that leads none of them to fall to us.

Unfortunately....I think our options are going to be limited in terms of needs associated with the value of our pick. Perry? Cushing? I can very well see us trading back again.... if we are lucky enough that someone else needs to jump up for an offensive weapon.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #29
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love Everette Brown . . if he falls to 15.

You never know. Derrick Johnson fell to 15 a few years back, and . . . (oh wait)
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #30
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I would love Everette Brown . . if he falls to 15.

You never know. Derrick Johnson fell to 15 a few years back, and . . . (oh wait)
And how good has Derrick Johnson been? Made and Pro-Bowls yet?

I'm not saying that TJ has been better, but the comments about passing on DJ make litte sense to me in light of his ability/production while at KC.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #31
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post

I'm not saying that TJ has been better, but the comments about passing on DJ make litte sense to me in light of his ability/production while at KC.
Derrick Johnson was touted as an athletic OLB who could tackle well and force a lot of fumbles.

This past season, in only 14 games, he had 85 tackles and forced 4 fumbles. That was enough for 4th among LBs, and I believe all 3 of the guys above him were 3-4 DEs getting fumbles from the QB.

He has 12 sacks in 4 years from a non pass-rushing position, which is 6x as many as TJ has from a pass rushing spot.

Over his four years, DJ has averaged: 88 tackles, 5 passes defended, 3 sacks, 3 FFs, and an INT

Travis Johnson, meanwhile, over his entire career, has: 106 tackles, 8 passes defneded, 1 FF, 2 sacks, and 1 INT

DJ isn't a hall of famer or anything, but to say they are about equal is just crazy
Old 01-22-2009   #32
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree. I did want DJ, but he hasnt done much in KC.
Old 01-22-2009   #33
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I agree. I did want DJ, but he hasnt done much in KC.
Has anyone done anything in KC except for LJ?

Im kinda over using high picks for DLine. I say we go DB or LB.
Old 01-22-2009   #34
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Derrick Johnson was touted as an athletic OLB who could tackle well and force a lot of fumbles.

This past season, in only 14 games, he had 85 tackles and forced 4 fumbles. That was enough for 4th among LBs, and I believe all 3 of the guys above him were 3-4 DEs getting fumbles from the QB.

He has 12 sacks in 4 years from a non pass-rushing position, which is 6x as many as TJ has from a pass rushing spot.

Over his four years, DJ has averaged: 88 tackles, 5 passes defended, 3 sacks, 3 FFs, and an INT

Travis Johnson, meanwhile, over his entire career, has: 106 tackles, 8 passes defneded, 1 FF, 2 sacks, and 1 INT

DJ isn't a hall of famer or anything, but to say they are about equal is just crazy
I never said they were equal.

To me DJ has been average, and on a bad team that makes him look a little beeter then he really is; but for the 11th (or 12th) pick in the draft...not so much. Espically when compared to guys like Willis and Ryans.

Stats are not the end all be all. Before this year Morlon Greenwood was averaging 113 tackles, 1 1/3 sacks, 4 PD and nearly an INT a year.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #35
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Has anyone done anything in KC except for LJ?
Len Dawson and Tony Gonzalez

but who cares about the chiefs.
Old 01-22-2009   #36
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
Len Dawson and Tony Gonzalez

but who cares about the chiefs.
Did forget Tony my bad......
Old 01-22-2009   #37
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Don't forget that by trading down, the Texans were able to draft Eric Winston. I still say TJ + Winston > DJ

Heck I'll go as far as to say Winston > DJ.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #38
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno if he's the best, but he appears to be atleast one of them and I to will be thrilled if we have a chance at him but I'm anxious about him lasting to #15.
Even with Kollar as our DLINE coach saying he likes smaller quicker ends. 6'5 250 is mighty light.
Old 01-22-2009   #39
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mel Kiper's 1st Mock Draft...

I think Beanie will go before Moreno, unless it's injury concerns.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #40
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
Don't forget that by trading down, the Texans were able to draft Eric Winston. I still say TJ + Winston > DJ

Heck I'll go as far as to say Winston > DJ.
Remember when they were ready to burn down Reliant Stadium when they passed on DJ? (Or was that just Longhorn fans?)

Funny how DeMeco Ryans, who was taken in the 2nd round after Mario, turned out to be a better linebacker than DJ ever could be.

Drafts are such hyped up crap shoots, but it's funny how it's always the upcoming one that's never looked at in that way. It''s crazy.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read